The Atari.io collective 2600 joystick collection

RickR

Here are some more unique sticks:

26836208993_a6a5a7c9e9_c.jpgT

Top row: (Radio Shack) Archer Deluxe Competition Joystick, Wico Command Control Joystick (5200)*, Gemini Gemstick-Pro

Bottom row: Coin Controls Inc. Competition Pro**, Championship Electronics SuperChamp (with 10' retractable cord), Wico "Famous Red Ball"

*This has a 9-pin cable, but it's meant to plug into a Y-cable for the 5200 and is not compatible with the VCS without an adapter cable.  It snuck into the photo when I wasn't looking.

**The Competition Pro is the regular one with leaf switches, not the "5000" model with microswitches.

Last but certainly not least:

27372120101_2d86732770.jpg

I've never seen these referred to with an Atari CX- part number, and the 2800 owner's manual doesn't seem to list one either.  If they have an official name, I'm not aware of it.  Edit: Confirmed, these are CX28 controllers.

In case anyone's interested, the Gemstick-Pro and CE SuperChamp are available for trade/sale.  They're tested and work just fine, I just don't like them as much as some of the others.

Edited by Ballblaɀer

Here are some more unique sticks:

26836208993_a6a5a7c9e9_c.jpgT

Top row: (Radio Shack) Archer Deluxe Competition Joystick, Wico Command Control Joystick (5200)*, Gemini Gemstick-Pro

Bottom row: Coin Controls Inc. Competition Pro**, Championship Electronics SuperChamp (with 10' retractable cord), Wico "Famous Red Ball"

*This has a 9-pin cable, but it's meant to plug into a Y-cable for the 5200 and is not compatible with the VCS without an adapter cable.  It snuck into the photo when I wasn't looking.

**The Competition Pro is the regular one with leaf switches, not the "5000" model with microswitches.

Last but certainly not least:

27372120101_2d86732770.jpg

I've never seen these referred to with an Atari CX- part number, and the 2800 owner's manual doesn't seem to list one either.  If they have an official name, I'm not aware of it.  Edit: Confirmed, these are CX28 controllers.

In case anyone's interested, the Gemstick-Pro and CE SuperChamp are available for trade/sale.  They're tested and work just fine, I just don't like them as much as some of the others.

Sweet sticks! That sounds weird. I love that there's so many kinds of db9 joysticks that were interchangeable with so many systems. I guess that's coming back with USB, but I am not familiar.

It's too bad these are so hard to find these days. I'm sure I passed up dozens of sticks because I had a bunch of CX40s. I don't have much experience with 3rd party sticks, but I think the Epyx XJ 500 is my favorite of those.

How do you like this one Rick? Paul from the Intellivisionaries swears by them, I've never tried one before.

I love it.  That and the Slik Stik are my favorites.  The Kraft is ugly, but very responsive and has a lot of movement in the stick.  Plus it's switchable -- 4 or 8 way with a simple twist of a switch on the bottom.  Highly recommended.  That brown one in post #1 has been one of my go-to joysticks for years. 

Picked up a pair of CX78s while I was in Poland and had them shipped home -- they arrived today!  (I think they can still be considered 2600 joysticks since they were packed with Atari 2600 Jr systems in Europe.)

30209562543_716175d1f8.jpg

So far after a little bit of testing with a few different games, I think they're... alright.  They're certainly not as precise as a stock CX40 stick, but they seem fairly comfortable to use.  Next step is to try them with the console they were designed for!

One more... Suncom TAC-2.

I'd rate this one pretty high. It has a nice tight feel to it. Feels very high quality. I like it better than the Wico's.

I have two of these that I picked up for 5 bucks a piece at a local retro shop a few years back. They are by far the best stick I've used. I use them on my 7800 as well as with my Colecovision paired with adapter cables I bought from Paul Nurminen a while back.

I also have some CX-40's (one in a white box that says Replacement Part CX-40, I'll have to post a pic sometime), my CX-24's that came with my 7800 that I despise, some Gemsticks, some Wico bat sticks, and an Epyx XJ500.

In order of preference:

TAC-2

Wico

Epyx (would rank above the Wico but the microswitch noise can irritate people)

CX-40

Gemstick

And if I have to the CX-24 for two button 7800 stuff.

I have those same tiny joysticks for the TI 99/4A.  They are a huge improvement over the TI branded sticks. 

PS -- Did you know these are made by Amiga -- yes, the same company that made the computer for Commodore?  They made joysticks to help pay the bills before the Amiga came out. 

Edited by RickR