Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

The Atari.io collective 2600 joystick collection

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Ballblaɀer

Ballblaɀer

Defender

• 465 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:07 PM

Picked up a pair of CX78s while I was in Poland and had them shipped home -- they arrived today!  (I think they can still be considered 2600 joysticks since they were packed with Atari 2600 Jr systems in Europe.)

30209562543_716175d1f8.jpg

So far after a little bit of testing with a few different games, I think they're... alright.  They're certainly not as precise as a stock CX40 stick, but they seem fairly comfortable to use.  Next step is to try them with the console they were designed for!

• Justin, RickR, Atari Creep and 3 others like this

#22 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Orange Member

• 255 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:36 PM

One more... Suncom TAC-2.

I'd rate this one pretty high. It has a nice tight feel to it. Feels very high quality. I like it better than the Wico's.

I have two of these that I picked up for 5 bucks a piece at a local retro shop a few years back. They are by far the best stick I've used. I use them on my 7800 as well as with my Colecovision paired with adapter cables I bought from Paul Nurminen a while back.

I also have some CX-40's (one in a white box that says Replacement Part CX-40, I'll have to post a pic sometime), my CX-24's that came with my 7800 that I despise, some Gemsticks, some Wico bat sticks, and an Epyx XJ500.

In order of preference:

TAC-2
Wico
Epyx (would rank above the Wico but the microswitch noise can irritate people)
CX-40
Gemstick

And if I have to the CX-24 for two button 7800 stuff.
  • RickR and kamakazi20012 like this

#23 Kid A

Kid A

Orange Member

• 181 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:06 AM

I have one of these tiny things. I kinda like it!

powerstick_2025_detail.jpg
  • Justin, RickR, Arenafoot and 2 others like this

#24 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

Pretzel Member

• 469 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:30 PM

attachicon.gifpowerstick_2025_detail.jpg

That's kind of awesome in a goofy kind of way. I love it!

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

#25 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,786 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:16 AM

I have those same tiny joysticks for the TI 99/4A.  They are a huge improvement over the TI branded sticks. 

PS -- Did you know these are made by Amiga -- yes, the same company that made the computer for Commodore?  They made joysticks to help pay the bills before the Amiga came out. 

Edited by RickR, 19 November 2016 - 12:17 AM.

• Atari Creep and kamakazi20012 like this

#26 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,786 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:15 AM

Another new one for me.  RGA International Video Controller RGA 1160

This one is just ok.  The hand fits the handle very well, and I like that you can use either button.  But the base is too small and too thick.  It makes it hard to hold.

Attached Thumbnails

• joystick 2016-11-23 001.JPG

Edited by RickR, 24 November 2016 - 01:16 AM.

• Justin likes this

#27 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 999 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:31 AM

A pair of those came with my TI. Oddly enough they are more comfortable than one might think ... And very responsive.
  • RickR and Kid A like this

#28 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,177 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:44 PM

I bought the other (rarer) color combination Gemini Mini Gemstik back in Nov 2015.

Attached Thumbnails

• gemstik.JPG

• Justin, Kid A and Ballblaɀer like this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#29 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,786 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:11 PM

Two more for the collection that I picked up from ebay.

The one on the left seems like a rebadged Gemstik.

The one on the right is terrible.  So loose and unresponsive.  Can we blame the crash on crap like this instead of ET?

Attached Thumbnails

• joysticks 001.JPG

• Justin, jmjustin6 and Starbuck66 like this

#30 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,663 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:12 PM

Technically, just like most Sega Genesis controllers, this works with 2600, albeit only the B button. But, you can assign it different turbo speeds, switch the joystick mode between 4 way & 8 way, and I believe the joystick itself uses micro-switches, making this a pretty cool 2600 option. 

IMG_5019.JPG

• Justin, RickR and Starbuck66 like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#31 Ballblaɀer

Ballblaɀer

Defender

• 465 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:35 PM

I showed these off back in my pickups vid from a few months ago, but here are some photos to add to the mix. 

Quest Industries Inc.'s Questar II -- a high quality 8-way leaf-switch joystick with arcade styling, a metallic base, and dual buttons for ambidextrous use.

33924592040_4e62b54555_z.jpg

TG Products' EnjoyStick -- fits in the palm of your hand, has a self-centering stick similar to a Vectrex joystick, and the top black piece is reversible, allowing placement of the button on either side.

34177949631_da1771cb1e.jpg34177949101_a1aca24f8e_z.jpg

I still need to take some good photos of the Fire Command II...

• Justin, RickR and Starbuck66 like this

#32 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,786 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:02 PM

That Enjoy Stick immediately reminded me of the "Mr Bones" candy:

278378993_a76125d8f5.jpg

Just like candy, those are some SWEET sticks you got there. 

• Justin likes this

#33 Dan Iacovelli

Dan Iacovelli

Pretzel Member

• 413 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:46 PM

I have a space age controller, few old 2600 bp controllers and couple wicos.
I got sega genisis controllers and seagulls adopters for my 7800 (replacing my cramptrollers)

AVC Online: avc.atari-users.net

VGS website: http://videogamesummit.net

#34 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,786 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:38 PM

"Super Champ" joystick.  The cord winds up into the base by spinning the stick. 

This joystick works really nicely.  Very responsive, and fits the hand well.  It also has suction cups on the bottom.  But those are more annoying than useful IMO. 

Attached Thumbnails

• stuff 002.JPG

• Justin likes this

#35 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,786 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:48 PM

A couple more....

• Wico Boss - It's mostly "meh" to me.  Not great, not bad.  Definitely does not live up to the Wico reputation.  The handle spins, which I don't care for.
  • Epyx 500XJ - Ergonomic, but only fits the left hand.  The stick is great.  The button is fine, but not for fast fire games like Asteroids.  Too hard to press quickly.
  • Prostick 2 - Fantastic stick.  Works really well.  The button is right above the wire, and it works very nicely there (surprisingly).  This stick rocks.
  • Commodore stick - Terrible!  Very unresponsive.  Feels very much like a TI 99/4A joystick -- like it is going to break apart in your hands at any moment.

Attached Thumbnails

• joysticks 001.JPG

• Justin likes this

#36 dauber

dauber

Orange Member

• 270 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:02 AM

In addition to the standard CX-40 and PainLine controllers, I have...

This weird one, which I acquired recently in an eBay auction. The raised text around the stick says NEWPORT CONTROLLERS on the top and BISHOP, CA  PATENT PENDING on the bottom. It's a plain-yet-weird looking controller, but it works amazingly well:

newport.jpg

Also from the same auction is this thing I've never seen: the BC Blaster from B.C. Systems in Melrose, Massachusetts. The stuff I got in the auction was packed very poorly and the fire button broke off, but this morning I glued it back on with Gorilla Glue (and obviously I didn't glue it perfectly evenly!) and it's holding on VERY well. (Those of you who listen to either of my podcasts -- this is what I was talking about.) It's a very light controller -- the bulky fake wood box is virtually empty. Played it on both 2600 Asteroids and 7800 Asteroids DeLuxe to great success!

bcblaster.jpg

And this is my UberArcade joystick made specifically for the 7800, but of course it works in anything that takes a 9-pin joystick. It's a fantastic 8-way joystick, but it's very frustrating on 4-way games -- very sensitive:

uberarcade.jpg

Aaaaaaand, of course, the one I seemingly never shut up about: the Edladdin All-Play 4/8 Supreme 78. Lift up the panel and there's a ring you turn to alternate between 8-way and 4-way:

edladdin.jpg

• Justin, RickR, nosweargamer and 2 others like this

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

#37 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,277 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:08 AM

Wow i have never seen a BC Blaster. Looks cool. Also loving the 7800 arcade stick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users