The Atari.io collective 2600 joystick collection

RickR

I have one of these tiny things. I kinda like it!

attachicon.gifpowerstick_2025_detail.jpg

I bought the other (rarer) color combination Gemini Mini Gemstik back in Nov 2015.

post-52-0-62775500-1480131340.jpg

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Technically, just like most Sega Genesis controllers, this works with 2600, albeit only the B button. But, you can assign it different turbo speeds, switch the joystick mode between 4 way & 8 way, and I believe the joystick itself uses micro-switches, making this a pretty cool 2600 option. 

post-303-0-16273200-1493327494_thumb.jpg

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I showed these off back in my pickups vid from a few months ago, but here are some photos to add to the mix. 

Quest Industries Inc.'s Questar II -- a high quality 8-way leaf-switch joystick with arcade styling, a metallic base, and dual buttons for ambidextrous use.

33924592040_4e62b54555_z.jpg

TG Products' EnjoyStick -- fits in the palm of your hand, has a self-centering stick similar to a Vectrex joystick, and the top black piece is reversible, allowing placement of the button on either side.

34177949631_da1771cb1e.jpg34177949101_a1aca24f8e_z.jpg

I still need to take some good photos of the Fire Command II...

A couple more....

• Wico Boss - It's mostly "meh" to me.  Not great, not bad.  Definitely does not live up to the Wico reputation.  The handle spins, which I don't care for.
  • Epyx 500XJ - Ergonomic, but only fits the left hand.  The stick is great.  The button is fine, but not for fast fire games like Asteroids.  Too hard to press quickly.
  • Prostick 2 - Fantastic stick.  Works really well.  The button is right above the wire, and it works very nicely there (surprisingly).  This stick rocks.
  • Commodore stick - Terrible!  Very unresponsive.  Feels very much like a TI 99/4A joystick -- like it is going to break apart in your hands at any moment.

post-41-0-96500800-1494024099_thumb.jpg

In addition to the standard CX-40 and PainLine controllers, I have...

This weird one, which I acquired recently in an eBay auction. The raised text around the stick says NEWPORT CONTROLLERS on the top and BISHOP, CA  PATENT PENDING on the bottom. It's a plain-yet-weird looking controller, but it works amazingly well:

post-920-0-30449200-1497153315.jpg

Also from the same auction is this thing I've never seen: the BC Blaster from B.C. Systems in Melrose, Massachusetts. The stuff I got in the auction was packed very poorly and the fire button broke off, but this morning I glued it back on with Gorilla Glue (and obviously I didn't glue it perfectly evenly!) and it's holding on VERY well. (Those of you who listen to either of my podcasts -- this is what I was talking about.) It's a very light controller -- the bulky fake wood box is virtually empty. Played it on both 2600 Asteroids and 7800 Asteroids DeLuxe to great success!

post-920-0-38845600-1497153520_thumb.jpg

And this is my UberArcade joystick made specifically for the 7800, but of course it works in anything that takes a 9-pin joystick. It's a fantastic 8-way joystick, but it's very frustrating on 4-way games -- very sensitive:

post-920-0-64711900-1497153661_thumb.jpg

Aaaaaaand, of course, the one I seemingly never shut up about: the Edladdin All-Play 4/8 Supreme 78. Lift up the panel and there's a ring you turn to alternate between 8-way and 4-way:

post-920-0-47005100-1497153741_thumb.jpg

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

Here's a very weird one.  Someone has modified an Odyssey 2 joystick for use on a 2600. 

While it's kind of a cool project...the joystick is TERRIBLE compared to your run-of-the-mill 2600 stick.  It's very loose, and playing a twitch game like Asteroids does not work well at all. 

post-41-0-20558900-1513382699_thumb.jpg

Of the controllers I tried out, here is my ranking from worse to best:

1. CX-24

2. CX-78

3. CX-40

4. My DIY arcade stick

5. Hyperkin Ranger

6. Robotron 2084 Dual Pad

7. Hyperkin Trooper

8. Coleco Gemini Dual Command

I should note, all controllers performed reasonably well except for the CX-24. I'm continually impressed with the Hyperkin Trooper and Ranger. You honesty can't go wrong with either of these for a modern replacement.  Also, the Robotron pad is great, but a bit heavy if you don't need the second pad due to the extra cable. I'd consider the single pad version.

The Coleco Gemini Dual Command was the most consistent performer. It's also the controller I grew up with, having had a Gemini. That may have something to do with my ranking but it really did feel great despite being about 37 years old. 

My favorites at the moment are:

• A customized CX-40 that I got from @AtariBrian  He replaced the little metal indent switches with microswitches.  It's awesome.
  • SlikStik. 
  • The custom pad I got from @StormSurge.  Perfection in pad form.  I think it's made by Retrogameboyz.  But my memory is weak.

And PS - I've wanted a Starplex for a long time.  I saw one recently and was always thought it would be bigger.  Still, I want one.

Here are my 2600/7800 controllers. 

From top to bottom...

I've been a Wico joystick fan. I tried many other 3P sticks (Suncom, TAC2 etc.) but my favorite was always the Wico Redball. These two are my Wico sticks from the 80s, what little that's left over from my original 2600/800/ST setup from the 80s. I haven't tried them for 35 years so I don't know whether they still work (EDIT: the Redball worked like a charm and fit like a glove once more). The Redball was my everyday joystick so the chrome is gone from the shaft and the outer sleeve of the cord is damaged. I had a third Wico stick, the one with the interchangeable grip, but I'm not sure where it is.

I have five controllers made by Retrogameboyz (ebay). The first one I bought is the red one and that's my daily joystick. The blue ball joystick is a second one for two players games. The white ball joystick is a 4-way joystick for Pac-Man and the like. I also have the Robotron gamepad for the 7800. Lastly, I custom ordered an all button controller with the Asteroids layout. I got it specifically to play Space Rocks and Star Castle homebrews.

Lastly, I picked up trakballs by Wico and Atari, driving controllers, and two sets of paddle controllers. Of these, I've so far only tried the paddle controllers. The ones inside the box have jitter issues. The ones shown work great without issues.

I also have the Hyperkin Trooper joystick for the Retron77 not pictured here. Both are still in unopened in the box. I may still have my original CX40 somewhere in the house.

DSC07082.thumb.JPG.358eef3c772e1405f7e4cdb88f19fb65.JPGDSC07079.JPG.d7e0d137e4f9efc54e86ce2b7e063c4d.JPGDSC07078.JPG.36f1d08bd7769559adac3015bc74290b.JPG

Edited by socrates63