Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

A new phase in Atari's history begins

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:45 PM

"The latest entrant in the Internet of Things is legendary gaming company Atari, which plans to make consumer devices that communicate over the SigFox low-power network.

The devices will be for homes, pets, lifestyle, and safety. Over the SigFox network, users will be able to see the location and status of their devices at all times, the companies said. They’re set to go into production this year."

http://www.computerw...-power-network/

• The Professor likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,031 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:15 PM

I'll bet money this is just a licensing deal with someone else using the Atari name on their product.
  • MaximumRD, Clint Thompson, Retrogamer81081 and 1 other like this

#3 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:54 PM

I'm sure you're right, I'm just not sure how the name of a legendary video game maker is going to help sell safety and pet products. :)

• Lost Dragon likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#4 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:42 AM

It's marketing :-)

You can bet that if there is a single straw to be clutched, in terms of them looking for an angle to sell product, they'll go for it.
  • Clint Thompson likes this

#5 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,781 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:20 PM

A piece of my childhood just turned into safe dog poo. 

• Rowsdower70 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users