Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Your Own Arcade! - Original Atari Lynx 2-Page Ad

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 545 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:17 AM

Scans provided by Lost Dragon - Enjoy!

atari_lynx_your_own_arcade.jpg

• RickR and Lost Dragon like this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#2 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:10 PM

Thanks again for doing this Clint.

Thought it'd be nice to see the UK Press ads Atari ran for the Lynx.

Irony here with tagline Atari went with, majority of games you see were not from the arcades, even Gauntlet just had the name attached, previousily a stand alone title.

• Clint Thompson likes this

#3 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,623 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:00 PM

Kind of hints at how it was still the same tried and true strategy for Atari.  Arcade hits is all they assumed their customers wanted it seems. 

• Lost Dragon likes this

#4 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,551 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:44 PM

Kind of hints at how it was still the same tried and true strategy for Atari.  Arcade hits is all they assumed their customers wanted it seems. 

Yeah, by this time, tastes were changing for gamers who wanted games you could finish rather than high score oriented games.

Besides at this time, my own arcade would've included TMNT! ;)

• RickR, Clint Thompson and Lost Dragon like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#5 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 545 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:46 AM

Still, you must admit, most of the games pictured were really great!

• Lost Dragon likes this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#6 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:14 AM

Some great posts here guys.

Totally agree, that's a very good selection of games there, if i was to nit pick (who...me? :-) ).

The only risk i can see with Atari promoting them, is the lack of exclusives to Lynx...

As fantastic as likes of Cal.Games for example is, for many of us here in UK, it was a done and dusted title, had loved it on the C64 (where it had more events) so it wasn't a huge draw in terms of playing again, a nice title, but not a OMG, i need a Lynx just to play that, where as something like Blue Lighting really was a Killer App.

Xenophobe, again, had played on C64, ST etc, you saw on 2600, 7800, Nes and so on.

Paperboy, Rampage, Rygar, Ms Pacman...again had been out, along with Roadblasters on countless other systems, Lynx version of Rygar and Roadblasters far superior to many, but it depended on just how much you loved these games, to warrant buying again i guess.

By showing it's strength here, i also think Atari showed many of it's weaknesses...

It was still thinking gamers simply wanted big name arcade titles, of yesterday.

It was struggling to secure current big name titles and developers, to add essential variety to the line up.

And it didn't really seem to understand which games were often best suited to small screen, handheld play.

• RickR likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users