Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

1st glimpse of Acclaim's Motion Capture tech used on Alien Trilogy.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:15 PM

http://www.google.co...gb5cCzGf4toFWGg

One for any Alien fans here, if you skip to around 8.14 you'll see the 1st glimpses of tech used in Alien Trilogy, released by Acclaim  and the comical sequence they put together having a Marine tiptoe across the screen with a Xeno shadowing his every move.

• Greyfox and RickR like this

#2 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:48 PM

Actually surprised the game didn't take more flak at review than it did, after ALL the hype, pre-release build up and claims of just how much more advanced it'd be over Jaguar AVP.

The much hyped Motion-Capture animation appears to have gone on the cutscene animation, whilst in-game character models saw traditonal sprite-scaling employed and very blocky characters up close.

The Xeno A.I was weak, game itself very dark, so rather than use the shoulder lamp, lot of us just adjusted brightness on our TV's...

Liberties were taken with how events spread across the 1st 3 Alien films occurred...Alien events happen after Alien and Alien 3?

Game played at a sedate pace, something critics moaned about Jaguar AVP....

• Greyfox likes this

#3 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:51 AM

I was a fan of this game on the ps1 and you've nailed nearly all the flaws that was wrong with it, but in saying that it was IMO the best alien game to date at the time and remember rushing out to purchase it when it was released, but yes it had some qerks that didn't entirely pull of what the intention a great alien game was to be, but it paved the way for the amazing Alien vs a Predator games on the PC , 1&2 been brilliant and later PS3 and Xbox360 did and yet they didn't do as well as expected too?

I did think they did an awesome job of recreating the environments from the films in Alien trilogy at least it was t some made up crap that been done with many other great film frantises.

Edited by Greyfox, 26 July 2016 - 06:54 AM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#4 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:27 PM

Taken as a stand alone Aliens Game, Alien Trilogy was solid enough...

The trouble was Acclaim really hyped the backside off the Motion-Capture aspect, which had no real impact on the in-game sprites, sadly, plus UK magazines like Mean Machines over hyped just what an impact game would have on likes of Jaguar AVP.

For myself Argonaut with Alien Res. provided the true console Aliens game of the PS1 era, something that not only pushed the hardware to the max, but really understood what Aliens fans wanted from a game...i'm still thankful they had the vision to cancel the 3rd person game and start from scratch for the FPS game.

Sadly game was nigh on unplayable without a PS1 Mouse, so you needed deep pockets to get the best from it.

Rebellions original AVP set THE benchmark for Alien/Predator games, Monolith had a fair crack at a sequel, looked fantastic, but the A.I routines for the Xeno's just totally failed to understand what was needed to make them fearsome.

Less said about Alien/Predator games since then (Isolation, Concrete Jungle, Rebellions AVP games on console/PC/PSP, etc..the better)

#5 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,248 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:34 AM

For some reason, your post reminded me of an old PC Basketball game:  "Michael Jordan In Flight", which used motion capture for some very realistic basketball gaming.  I really loved this game, and just found this video:

• Lost Dragon likes this

#6 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:18 AM

See that looks like a great coupling of new technology, being used on a great game...

I think many developers seemed to think Motion Capture (and then later facial motion capture) were some kind of magic bullet, that when used would transform an average game, riddled with flaws into something wonderous, it didn't and the time and resources invested could of gone on things like better A.I routines etc.

It's up there with earlier techniques used in animation like rotoscoping.

Games like VF2, Soul Edge,etc were fantastic games to start with but whilst i'm sure Motion Capture did wonders for the animation in things like The Last Of Us, it did nothing to hide the fact the game was a mish mash of ideas taken from other sources...

Highlander on Jaguar CD needed a lot more than great animation to save it...

Alien Trilogy and later Alien Isolation really needed believable A.I routines to instal the essence of menace into the Xeno...

Heavenly Sword and L.A Noire just bored the hell out of me so all the resources poured into the visuals were wasted as i simply didn't enjoy the games themselves.

• RickR likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users