Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

A Lynx collection

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,624 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:07 PM

I've gotten the Lynx out and wanted to share my collection.  I haven't even tried a few of these games yet (Rygar, Kung Food, Roadblasters).  Reviews coming soon.

Attached Thumbnails

• Lynx 2016-06-26 001.JPG

• atarilbc, Clint Thompson, nosweargamer and 7 others like this

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,624 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:28 PM

Roadblasters Review:

One word summary:  Wow!

This game is really good on the Lynx.  Impressive graphics, easy controls.  Very responsive. Love the helicopter that drops weapons upgrades. 

On the con side:  It's really hard to see the green/red fuel blobs, but maybe that's just my old eyes.  Also, it's super cool that they included some voice effects at the end of each round, but it was kind of hard to understand.  Maybe I should try headphones. 

The game is really fun, and looks great. A+. 

What do you all think of this game?

Edited by RickR, 27 June 2016 - 12:07 AM.

• atarilbc, Lost Dragon and MalakZero like this

#3 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,624 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:02 AM

Basketbrawl Review

One word summary:  Blech

Anyone else play Arch Rivals in the arcade or on NES?  It's a great game.  Rule-less basketball...you can punch or kick your opponent.  That game is really fun with great graphics and sound.  Plus you will laugh heartily (I guarantee) when you punch somebody in the back of the head.  Well, that's what this game is trying to be, only it's terrible.  There's no jumping or rebounding or passing.  Shooting the ball is totally random.  There are power-ups, but if you take the time to grab them, the computer is going to score easily.  Even the fighting portion is bad.  Button mashing with no real consequence.  This is a game that should have been right up my alley, but it's no fun. 

I hate being so negative.  But like I said, this is a game I really thought I'd love due to the concept...it's a huge disappointment. 

• MalakZero likes this

#4 MalakZero

MalakZero

Orange Member

• 146 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:51 AM

Looking forward to your impression of Kung Food. Hopefully it plays well enough to compliment the cheesiness  :thumb: 

Anyone else wish a consolized Lynx was built?

• Clint Thompson and Lost Dragon like this

"Mmmrrrrrrhhhh.....game.....gooooood....."

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:50 AM

Great reviews there, Roadblasters in particular.

The Lynx version is stunning and a flagship game for the hardware, but not without it's flaws as was pointed out.

Playing it on a small,low resolution display like the Lynx LCD, comes at a price, as does playing games on any handheld from that era, I could never physically stand the GB screen and whilst I loved the Game Gear, screen blur was chronic on that, so it's understandable small objects can be hard to spit on Lynx Roadblasters.

As for the speech? Yeah we are kind of heading into Sega Genesis/MD grounds here as whilst I appreciated developers putting so much speech and music into games like Gauntlet 4 and Street Fighter 2, i'd of preferred less, but of a better quality.

Crystal Clear rather than muffled and garbled...

Feel same with Lynx Roadblasters, sound chip if Lynx was hyped right up, so disappointed by some of the speech we saw on it, Roadblasters being prime example.

I'd of loved to have seen a home console version of the Lynx, but....

It would of had to of had extra hardware in it to either upscale or produce native displays suitable for home tvs of the time, Genesis resolution at the least..and how much that would of added to cost per unit, I have no idea.
  • RickR likes this

#6 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 545 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:16 AM

Looking forward to your impression of Kung Food. Hopefully it plays well enough to compliment the cheesiness  :thumb:

Anyone else wish a consolized Lynx was built?

I was thinking about this over the weekend, not sure why it came to mind but it struck me.

Still think Slime World and Robosquash are my favorite games for the Lynx!

• Lost Dragon likes this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#7 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:20 AM

I guess the I'll fated Panther console would in..essence of been the Lynx made for the home.

On paper at least a sprite pushing monster, out performing Amiga with ease and SNES, far more colours etc available as well over Sega CD..

But..throttled by limited Ram, Atari likely to have replaced soundchip for weaker, cheaper alternative.

Titles press annouced often false..whilst SOTB was started (and person part of the team went onto work on Lynx Version), Pitfighter wasn't.

Could Atari if gathered the essential support needed to look after 2 versions of the Lynx? Hand held and home console, assuming same games would of worked on both versions..

I doubt it.

Lynx And Falcon support dropped to focus on Jaguar..

A8 support dropped to focus on ST

It seemed to be Atari's way to put eggs in as few baskets as possible when it suited them.

#8 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,624 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:12 AM

I also have my Sega Game Gear collection out and I'll give that a go once I'm done with the Lynx. 

One interesting thing I can say about the Lynx is I tend to forget how big it was.  The thing is BIG, and thick.  I do like how comfortable it is to hold, and it's got a nice big screen. I think Atari should have skipped the ability to "flip" the unit for left/right handers (that would eliminate 3 buttons) to save a little size.  I do love the look and feel of it.  

It would look really good next to one of those original American XBOX controllers.  Way too big, yet comfortable to use. 

:atari_lynx:

Edited by RickR, 27 June 2016 - 10:14 AM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

#9 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,624 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:40 AM

Kung Food Review

One word summary:  Tums

What can I say here?  I really liked this one, but it has a few flaws.  I love the little muscular green giant character.  He's an angry little Hulk in a fridge!  And fighting against food, ice creeps, and rats!  COOL!  This should have been a follow up to "Food Fight" somehow.  Or maybe it should have had power-ups like "Altered Beast".  The concept is really fun.  But there are issues....I dislike how hard it is to line up with enemies.  And it's kind of hard to tell if your punches/kicks have landed.  Oh, and those ice spikes that pop out of the ground are really cheap. 

The graphics are great.  Everything is easy to see and moves smoothly. 

This game could have been something special.  I wonder if they play tested with real gamers and got some honest feedback -- if that would have helped a game like this. 

This game is a fun concept, but a little flawed. 

Atari had an arcade platform at the time...the one that played Paperboy and APB to name a few examples.  The Lynx really reminds me of that platform...the graphics and text have that same look and feel. 

• atarilbc, Clint Thompson and Lost Dragon like this

#10 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:10 PM

@RickR:OMG how I wish you'd written an article for UK press regarding the Lynx.

Open and 100% honest and unbiased write ups here superb.

Kung food just needed that extra tweaking and it could of been Soo much more as it was the flaws hinder what could of been a fantastic niche exclusive for the system.

Keep the reviews coming...

#11 atarilbc

atarilbc

Pretzel Member

• 447 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:49 PM

Great reviews, Rick. Roadblasters is a fantastic port on the Lynx and one of my favorite titles. Hydra has a similar vibe so I recommend that if you can get it cheaply.

I also really enjoy Kung Food despite its flaws. If someone were to fix the collision detection I would snap up an improved version in a heartbeat.

Many of the Atari Games arcade games do really well on the Lynx (Roadblasters, Hydra, XYBOTS, Gauntlet, Stun Runner, Paperboy, etc.). It's fortunate that Atari, Inc. and Atari Games were able to work out licensing deals despite being different companies. If things had worked out differently, I think that a unified Atari could have given SEGA a run for its money with exclusive quality arcade to home conversions. Alas, many Atari Games titles of the period were available across platforms. Good for gamers but bad for Atari, Inc.
  • RickR and Lost Dragon like this

#12 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:02 PM

I'm actually going to stick my neck out here and say i actually wish (and this is pure fantasy) Epyx had taken the Handy to various folks and someone, like say Sega, who's sprite based coin-ops would of been bloody ideal for the Lynx hardware, had said..we love it and you've a deal, but on 1 condition..........

You include an AV OUT on the device, we realise the battery life is going to be a major issue, folks will be spending a lot of time playing via an AC cord, so if they are playing at home, let em output the device to the TV and just use the Lynx as a controller (either that or have a seperate 'Docking station' released for it, which would upscale and output image to TV whilst charging the Lynx).

Not sure IF technology existed to make either option a reality, but i'm dreaming here, so don't care :)

Lynx had APB, Megadrive did not.

Lynx Toki:Far superior to MD version.

Blue Lightning ideal to sit alongside Afterburner 2 on MD

No Xenophobe or Rygar on MD

I'd just loved to of seen SEGA take Lynx hardware, run with it as a home and portable system, having best of both worlds in terms of Epyx's games and Sega's own arcade conversions and they probably might of funded Epyx as well rather than treated them way Atari did....

Ohhh what could of been.

• RickR likes this

#13 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,624 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:09 PM

My god, Lost Dragon, what a great idea that would have been.  It would totally justify the larger size vs. Gameboy:  "Sure it's bigger, but it can also be hooked right up to a TV to play all your games on a big screen".  Glorious. 

• Lost Dragon likes this

#14 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:23 PM

Yes Brother :) Join my OMG, IF ONLY (they'd seen the bloody potential)...campain i'm holding, candlelight vigil etc at midnight planned...

Rather than try and compete directly with GB, a fight you were going to loose in changing room, never mind the bloody ring, GB was truely portable had a battery life from our god lord himself :) and publisher support Atari could only dream off, Atari should have come out swinging........

Yes Lynx is bigger, it's bigger because..that's what you need to fit in in so much Figgin AWESOME...........

Lynx gives you 16 Bit power, in full colour, where and when ever YOU want it.

On the couch, on the move, who cares? you'll only find it on the ATARI LYNX

Embrace it's size, market it as being done on purpose and have some tag line like LYNX, it's NO Pussy cat, it's a MONSTER :)

• RickR and Clint Thompson like this

#15 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,624 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:18 PM

Next up is Rygar, which I got via a trade with Justin.  Much appreciated. 

Rygar Review

One word summary:  Perfect

I love this game.  It's fast, it's smooth, and the difficulty ramps up nicely.  No cheap deaths.  Great graphics (especially the backgrounds -- wow).  This game is a platformer, and your warrior has a chain mace.  Similar to Castlevania.  Really well done game.  I think this may be my favorite so far.  Tons of fun. 

• atarilbc, Clint Thompson and Lost Dragon like this

#16 atarilbc

atarilbc

Pretzel Member

• 447 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

My god, Lost Dragon, what a great idea that would have been.  It would totally justify the larger size vs. Gameboy:  "Sure it's bigger, but it can also be hooked right up to a TV to play all your games on a big screen".  Glorious.

While Atari didn't make tv out available to consumers we're fortunate that McWill did. His improved LCD and VGA out is a great upgrade if you're really into the Lynx.
  • Clint Thompson and Lost Dragon like this

#17 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:14 PM

I must confess to not being overly familiar with the technology, but Sega's Mega Jet seems to suggest what might of been a feasible alternative to the Lynx design we know or at least a possible variation on it?

mega jet is a semi portable isn't it? Plays standard Genesis carts just needs a TV display and external power source?

That would be an ideal set up for a home console version of the Lynx.wouldnt hog living room space, but none of the drawbacks of running out of juice or eyestrain on cheap LCD screens....

#18 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,624 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:26 PM

You mean the "Nomad"?  https://en.wikipedia...i/Genesis_Nomad

#19 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:39 AM

Nope,although I believe the tech used in the Mega jet was the foundation for the Nomad.

Mega jet was a device initially on board Japanese airlines which plugged into the LCD screens on the seats and let you play Genesis games on the flight.

Think there was a consumer version released later.
  • RickR and LeeJ07 like this

#20 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,624 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:35 PM

Another new addition.  Check out that unmistakable Toys R Us clearance sticker!

Attached Thumbnails

• atari 2016-07-08 001.JPG

• nosweargamer and Lost Dragon like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users