Got My Dreamcast Working!

LeeJ07

Love the blue VMU and congrats. What was wrong with it and what are you planning on playing?

I didn't have an AV cable to hook it up to my tv, so it was little more than a paperweight. However, I have one now. I didn't have a controller, either, but I have one of those coming in the mail, too.

As for games, I'd like to hit the classics: Crazy Taxi, Jet Grind Radio, Sonic Adventure, Phantasy Star Online, Ecco the Dolphin, Rez...

I won an Ebay gift card with $25 from a contest on another video game site, and I used it to buy stuff for my Dreamcast. I'd hoped to be able to get a Dreamcast game, as well, but I only have $1.06 left, and there aren't any that cheap.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

I've heard good things about Skies of Arcadia. Being an RPG nut, I'm keen to check it out.

Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II are probably two of the best RPGs on the system.  Check out Shenmue, too, if you've never played it before.  Interesting game to say the least.  As for budget friendly, you can't go wrong with Virtua Tennis, Sega Bass Fishing, Marine Fishing, Ready 2 Rumble.  For racing games check out Daytona USA (it's been souped up!), Tokyo Xtreme Racer 1 & 2, Hydro Thunder, Rush 2049, Flag to Flag, and Speed Devils.  It has a few space shooters as well including Starlancer (of Wing Commander heritage) and Armada which is a really neat Space RPG type game.  For adventure games Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 will definitely fill that bill but don't neglect Elemental Gimick Gear (EGG).  That game plays and feels like a few Final Fantasy games at times.  Don't pass up Space Channel 5.  It's a fun game that is basically Simon-says set to music with a storyline.  The games that you, and others have mentioned before, are good games as well.  This is one console I put everything I could into it when it was in production, the only console I ever pre-ordered, and I still feel I got my money's worth out of it.  It still amazes me to this day.  If you get any sports titles, especially the 2K and 2K1 series from Sega, you better invest in more VMUs as those can take up a whole memory card.  But the graphics of those games are truly breathtaking.  

One nice secret about the Dreamcast is that you can play copies of games on it.  If you have blank CDs ready you just need to get ROM images (ISO format) and use a burning program that can understand the disc images.  I use ImgBurn to create my Dreamcast discs I don't own until I can find official copies of those games.  It also allows me to play games that America didn't get like Shenmue 2.  

You might want to keep an eye out for the demo discs from Dreamcast Magazine.  A few of those had full games on them that couldn't be obtained any other way.  The only exception to this is with Sega Swirl which did eventually get an official release as a stand-alone title.  If you have friends or family members that enjoy match 3 games they will love Sega Swirl.  And it's four players simultaneously, too.  You can also play a solo game against up to three CPU opponents as well.  Very addictive.  

You know, I think I have a spare official copy of Marine Fishing around here somewhere.  I'll have to check and see.  If I find it you can have it...I don't need two copies.  Just shoot me a PM if interested.  Besides E*Bay, check out Lukie Games and eStarland wesites as well for Dreamcast stuff.  Sometimes they have a sale on now and then on Dreamcast games.  

The thing about the Dreamcast is, there are so many great games to play! Demolition Racer was a favorite of mine and I really loved Code Veronica. Cosmic Smash and Sturmwind are must haves but I've got unusual tastes and reasoning. Power Stone - absolutely loved playing that game against friends and Virtua Tennis is still my favorite tennis game to this day - I'll never forget seeing the intro and trying to bypass the video only to get to the real game. Much to my amazement, that WAS the real game being played! It looks so lifelike!

I revisited Record of Lodoss War and while I played that game for many many months on end back when it was released, only to have my memory save lost and game progress deleted (I never did go back and try again) I played it again later last year only to be disappointed at how its aged. Still a good game in its own right but I can definitely feel the age...

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

I have to keep resetting the time and date every time I turn the Dreamcast on.

Dreamcast has an internal battery to keep the date/time.  If you've left it plugged in for a few hours, it should recharge that battery.  If the battery no longer holds a charge (not unusual), you'll need to replace it.  Unlike the Saturn, it isn't that easy to do. 

Archived