Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

The forthcoming UNSEEN64 book :)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:49 AM

Just a teaser really for Unseen64's forth coming book, thought folks might be interested in who LUCA has secured, interviews wise (none of these are mine, they are all proper interviews Luca conducted, i've thrown in a few Q's along the way when asked, that's it):

Gabe Cinquepalmi (Double Fine, 8th Wonder)

Phil Sorger (Cinematronics, GTE, Electronic Arts)

Scott Rogers (Alexandria, THQ, more)

Sean W Kord (Paradigm)

Shea McCombs (Digital Anvil)

Brian Mitsoda (Troika, Black Isle and Obsidian)

Centre for Computing History (Museum)

Adam McCarthy (Acclaim - Iguana)

John Andersen (Preservation of games)

Tim Williams (Planet Moon, Shiny)

William Bill Anderson (Alexandria, Namco, Capcom USA)

NOVAK (Freak Boy)

Massimiliano (Raylight Studios)

Domenico (Naps Team)

Julian Jules Holtom (Ocean, Imagitec, Team17)

Frederic Villain (Bits Studios)

Computer Spiele Museum (Museum)

Art Min (Midway, Junction Point, Ion Storm, Looking Glass)

Marco Scotti, Elisabetta Modena (MoRE Museum)

Felix Kupis (Flextech, Savage Entertainment, Volition)

National Videogame Museum

Grant Gosler (Terminal Reality)

Jesse Sosa (Terminal Reality)

I hope folks agree that's a pretty bloody impressive list there and these are just the interviews that are in, written up etc, there are a good few still out, some of which might yet come in...(few moreObsidian/Acclaim folks etc) and sadly a good few which are looking like they never will come back with answers (FASA/Pandemic/Kalisto/Digital Anvil).

I've not seen these interviews myself, so no idea how my Q's were answered, if at all :)

But i'm really looking forward to the book.

Luca is throwing in misc interviews i've done for various sites, plus a lot of my Random Info finds, so we hope to cover as many formats as possible and get a wide range of industry views/opinions etc.

Nothing has been altered from interviews i did, the views expressed by those i put Q's too are theirs and thiers alone.

Any grammar, spell checking etc is in hands of Luca, i'm RESEARCH ONLY Role, not writer, you'll be glad to hear.

Updates as/when i get them.

• Greyfox, RickR and atarilbc like this

#2 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:23 PM

Update from Luca:

"I'm still away from home and i'm still working on the book at night and in spare time, i had to cut A LOT of stuff from the book and i'm still not near the 480 pages, i gave "priority cut" to those articles / interviews that were already online or published somewhere else because there's no need to get them out there with the book, so unfortunately your interviews that were already available somewhere else will not be in the book, i also had to cut the Arcade section (but we did not have much content in there, was the less interesting section), a lot of "less interesting" games and some "less informative" new interviews i carried out, but all cut information will be avaiable on the website sometime after the book is published..."

Basically then, book was getting far, far too flabby and to appear on Amazon in some form (i honestly don't have a clue about this aspect) , Luca would of needed to split book content into vol 1/vol 2 and either sold it as a double volume, which would of pushed price up, or as 2 seperate volumes... and he was unsure people were willing to buy 2 books on same subject.

So there's been a cull :)

No idea which of HIS interviews he's dropped.

But i do feel rather glad my FREE TO VIEW stuff HAS been cut.

I know other publications have used some of my interviews (Pro-Atari, Return and another German ST Magazine), but in the German cases, they were TRANSLATED by magazine producers for a specific market and would of been new content to non-English speaking readers, i've never been happy with idea of being paid for any research i've done and unless interviews were done as exclusives to be a selling point for a publication, ie ST Gamer Vol 1/Vol 2, who's interviews with Darryl Still, Colin Porch, Terry Greer, Dan Clapson and Peter Johnson, you'll ONLY find in ST Gamer....everything else has been 100% FREE....

Either view online or download PDF of magazine in question (Classic Console Magazine).

None of us who research for sites like Unseen64 or GTW are:Experts, writers, jurno's (thank god), Historians etc etc....

We just wanted to know what happened too.....got lucky after contacting folks involved and shared results.

As a PURCHASER of numerous Video gaming books of late:Masters Of Doom, books looking at history of Ocean/US Gold, Gremlin Graphics etc, 1 of my biggest gripes (other than lack of ATARI coverage) has been fact SO much of content i've paid for, i'd previousily already read over the years either online or in likes of Arcade, RG, Edge, Gamestm etc.

So Unseen 64's book should focus on getting content out you CANNOT find on the website otherwise, your gonna few a little cheated if your a regular reader of the site.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 19 August 2016 - 01:26 PM.

• Greyfox likes this

#3 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 05:40 AM

I suppose it can be extremely difficult to obtain brand news that hasn't been copied to death by others, a re-arrange of wording and presented in a misleading manner to those that didn't know in the first place, or to the trained eye is a massive let down seeing all the wholes in the research, but unfortunately we are only a small number of retro gaming rebels :)

I think the unseen book may surprise a lot of people, as I recently posted on the book blog post about what's actiually going to be present in the book that's not widely available on the Internet for free and this is what I was told by a member called monokoma

"We will publish a video preview for the book and details about the content when it will finally be available in a few weeks :) Originally the idea was just to have a book with a reprint of the most interesting articles we have on Unseen64, so that readers could support the site by buying a copy (as i do with other blogs I like; for example on 366weirdmovies every year they release a book with all the posts published the previous year and readers can buy it if they want to help), but in almost 2 years of work the project evolved a lot, so now there are also new interviews, new exclusive images and info for lost games that were already known before and new, previously unknown lost games that will be seen for the first time. Still, for people that are not interested to support the site by buying the book, i suggest to wait for the book reviews by other people, so you’ll know if it’s something you’d like in your collection or not! In any way, most of the book price will be the actual, physical cost of print, as the book is almost 500 pages long, 7″ x 10″ "

So a nice explanation there, about again I've had experience and first hand dealing with print on demand services and they has very strict rules you need to aboid by which in honesty is down to the designer of the book, pro and cons of margins, gutters , bleeds, ink coverage etc.. Without knowledge on this it could delay the book even further, secondly you have over all quality of the book, print quality, cropping, image placement , text placement and colour, layout design issues and finally grammar and proof reading are all very important factors because the reader will feel betrayed and ripped over if it's not up to the general expectations of what has been promised, a lot of books recently have done this, either by ultizing imagery to cover up the small amount of text about the content, or text colour been incorrect across an area of imagery and so on, text alignment issues that are chronic etc. but in saying this whole is been volunteerlay been put together by a collection of people and not just one person, so fingers crossed that they get it right.
  • RickR and Lost Dragon like this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#4 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:26 AM

Personally and from my own humble experience, it's very time consuming, frustrating etc to source frseh information, but it's there, IF your willing to put in the leg work, think outside the box and try multiple sources.

The far easier route is to take what's already been established as 'fact', not look any further/deeper and just dress it up in a different form and maybe get alternative screenshots and speculate further on claims already made.

Thankfully the likes of GTW, Unseen64 etc and those out there willing to put the time in, for no personal gain, used magazine claims as a starting point for investigation and not material just to copy n paste and present anew to those who missed the claims the 1st time around.

You've also only to look at steriling work people do on here, likes of Shinto with his podcasts, reaching out to ex-Atari corp sources, you guys over on RVG..remind me again who broke news of the Eclipse texture-mapping trick on Jaguar? ohh yes, RVG after speaking to ATD's Fred Gill :)

So if many of us are managing it and sharing it for FREE, if your putting it behind a pay wall, i personally don't think i'm asking too much for true research to be done.

I could of just assumed Panther was as it's been set in stone..only games were Cybermorph, Crescent Galaxy, Plasma Pong etc..Pitfighter, SOTB started from UK developers.

Nothing more to be found, why wasate time looking into it, Internal Atari Corp documents found, nothing more to discover, move on etc....

Instead by checking magazine claims, talking to those who were in charge of the Atari arcade conversions for Domark, Tengen, found out Pitfighter was just a myth.

I chased up Hand Made Software after reading a claim in AEM, which was very vague, so i wanted to know more, i contacted Joel Sieder as i saw Panther listed on his C.V, Guildo i found whilst looking for Konix Multi-system work.

With Lobotomy, Conan on Jaguar etc these were 2 that GTW/Unseen64 had looked into, found people, emailed, but never heard anything back from, i said i'd give it a shot, never expected anything, BINGO, results were in.

All i used was a PS3 and mobile phone web browser, no Facebook or Skype eoither, so if your a paid writer, you'd best be doing more than re-printing a company website to get my money :)

As an avid Retro Book buyer myself now, i think you need 65-70% NEW content to 'justify' the book route.By all mieans inc online content or put in links to it, but if people want to support the running of the site, just drop a paypal payment in or forward money, i've done this with GTW or just provide fresh content for them.

The books should offer EXCLUSIVE material, something to really treasure and this is why i'm glad Luca has said, NO, that's gotta go/stay online and the 'less informative' interviews, done for the book, aren't being used as page fillers, instead going online for free.

I've the utmost respect for Luca for putting customer 1st here.

The printing/Amazon print stuff is way, way over my head, my understanding is you have to jump through sooo many hoops to even stand a chance of getting on there.

The spell checking, grammar etc, well having seen how people leap onto the slightest thing on a mere forum post, which is basically disposable content :-), then yes, i feel that aspect will need to be nailed down tight or otherwise book will be thrown to the wolves on likes of Amazon...customer reviews do not F-about, i know the 1st print of the Atari Inc book got mauled and they had a proffesional proof-reader?

I've also voiced my very real concerns about the image layout, i do feel the manner in which text runs down sides etc looks awful, whilst i understand the reasons it does this, it's a fatal flaw in my eyes and do fear it'll be be a rod for the books own back in the making....

• Greyfox likes this

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:10 PM

I'm not 'privvy' to just what sort of research went into looking at just how viable a market there is for entire book based on Lost games coverage, as a mere researcher i'm very aware it's a niche subject at the best of times...

I know you often see lost versions of/other unreleased titles someone worked on brought up in looks at a publisher/development studio or as part of a much bigger interview etc, but i've been saddened to see even dedicated Retro publications showing little 'real' interest in some big name discoveries of late..ie GTW recovering Daffy Duck on C64..Konix site with Last Ninja II etc, so if they don't feel they can justify space to an article or 2..hmnn.

I also people do take on board the fact that whilst Luca has enlisted the help of a lot of folks, researching/writing wise, English is not his native tongue, anything of this size is going to require stacks of proof reading for fact checking and more importantly, making sure statements obtained do not offend those still working in the games industry...there's a lot of 'closure' on games/systems that will never come out, as it'd just re-open wounds that still fester, 2-30 years later.

But in today's society i fear ethics will be over looked and people will jump on it pointing out poor grammar, punctuation and going off past experience printers will sadly mess more than 1 thing up and then you'll have the standard..i've read book from cover-to-cover, but smudge on p35 of 400, so got my money back from Amazon.

Which is fine, but did you even try and assist Luca with the book to start with?.

I've explained all the concerns to him, all i can now do is wish him the very best of luck.

It's a brave man or woman who undertakes such a mammoth project, he'd of been easier just reprinting off content from the site and putting it in a see-through cover :) as isn't that how you slap an extra $10 on old material these days, sorry, wrong medium.....

But no, full credit for him taking this on his shoulders, may they be wide and his skin thick :-)

• Greyfox likes this

#6 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:17 AM

Brief update from Luca...

Final draft being uploaded to Createspace (no idea what that is myself)

No budget to hire professional proof readers.

Imagitec's Julian Jules Holtom didn't really have anything..'special', information wise

NAPS Team promised him screens and footage of a canned PSP title, but despite asking (nicely) over a period of weeks, nothing was ever sent on, so he abandoned all hope on that front.

#7 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:37 PM

The final draft is the beta version of the publication , in others words this is the final version, what can happen is it can be rejected for cropping issues, margin and bleeds issues or ink percentage issues, they will let him know what needs addressing, and he will make all the changes needed for it so it can be processed and send to the printing mill then, using amazons creative space publication service means they get a percentage of the profits up as far as 80% , and by doing so this book is about the passion of the subject matter, as Luca will not be going to Rio any time soon from it.

The proofreading issue may not be as bad as it seems, there have been a good few of these type books where it's fine and has done a good job, so I've read professional book with more errors than an Atari 8bit magazine type in lol. So they could be lucky, and for those that do ridicule this for grammar are gobshites and officiously have nothing better else to do with their life in the toilet lives. I wish them the best of luck with it, everyone deserves a shot. It's not really a book I'd be interested in unless it has a massive Atari lost games information I've not read thanks to your good self , at least that stuff is factual. :)
  • Lost Dragon likes this

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#8 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:05 PM

:) Cheers Greyfox..i knew all this would make so much more sense to you, it went totally over my head, all i got was fact book was that 1 key step closer to release.

I had NO idea Amazon could charge upto such a whacking great % of profits from either, YIKES!.

The proof reading aspect, ohh i'm sure a lot of folks online will be far more concerned about his spelling, grammar, typos, you name it..it's always the way, even when he's made clear this was a project born from passion for a niche subject, worked on by folks in their spare time (and it's taken huge amounts of that from him and all his writers) and any proof reading will be done by others, in their spare time.

He's not had the luxury of forwarding pages to a paid for, proffessional to go through it all with a fine tooth comb, nor could he simply have his writers submit their articles and he then gets the Art department to do page layout, source screens, someone else to check for typos etc, he's literally working with what he's got/found and is (or as i mentioned above, isn't....) given by those he's contacted.

There won't be a lot of Atari stuff in it i suspect, as he doesn't cover home micros, or systems like 5200/7800 etc as plenty of dedicated sites to those already.

Likes of GTW are a better source for ST titles as i believe they are currently looking into Amiga versions of Gryzor and Contra?

• Greyfox likes this

#9 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:05 PM

Contra or super contra was out on the Amiga, maybe the Gryzor one, now that's something else..will have to follow up on that, cheers pal..
  • Lost Dragon likes this

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#10 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:28 PM

http://www.gamesthat...1/#comment-3742

There's the page.

Super Contra was out on Amiga:

http://www.google.co...6E4DNtqFmc-IW1w

By Unlimited Software (never heard of them myself), not supposed to be brilliant though, ropey collision detection, more aggressive enemies than in the coin-op and my personal loathing of games (yes, YOU Cannon Fodder) getting killed by foes not even on screen yet!

Only saw a N.America release on Amiga?

But hey, if ST Rastan code can be found, there's hope yet:

Might not of got very far, hence no sound.....

I'd love to see something of the supposed ST version of Green Beret surface as well 1 day....

Oh and regarding proffessional magazines making typo's....

I'll never forget STF claiming the STE was going to ship with a BLISTER CHIP as standard :)

Edited by Lost Dragon, 30 August 2016 - 06:33 PM.

#11 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

From Hall Of Light(AMIGA)   Foster Hall, programmer of Contra sequel Super C, in conversation with the HOL September 2008: "I vaguely remember that, that game was in development,(Contra) but then Konami pulled all games for the Amiga, as at that time [in the US], sales of the Amiga were waning."

(Mark Jones, who coded ZX Spectrum Gryzor, said there def.wasn't an ST or Amiga version being coded "in-House" whilst he was at Ocean, so any planned versions, must of been outsourced...)

Guess this was why despite being advertised we never saw Amiga Metal Gear as well then?.

But Ultra Games handled a C64 conversion:

http://www.google.co...VaKn7R0wU2vAFbA

Novatrade handled the Amiga version of Castlevania;

Again, not a high point, pales next to NES version.

Konami happy to outsource and quality suffered.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 30 August 2016 - 07:12 PM.

#12 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:52 AM

@Greyfox:

C.U Amiga had a 2 page feature on Lost games, in it were likes of Combat School, Renegade and Gryzor all annouced by Ocean, Renegade having made it out, but seemingly only done for Overseas Market.

Gary Bracey is quoted as saying Gryzor and Combat School were never 'farmed out' so would of been in-house projects.

• Greyfox likes this

#13 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:02 PM

Wow great info, I never knew that, what issue was that from..I bet it's one I missed...
  • Lost Dragon likes this

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#14 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:27 PM

I'll forward over the 2 pages of the article.

The X-Men game looked superb and loved story of coder decking the boss before storming out.

Also, N.B:Pete Lyon's account of Dynamic Debugger (listed in article as Dynamite Debugger) gives a very different version of events to that told by the company's P.R spokesperson in the C.U article....

http://www.grumpyold...lyon-interview/

Edited by Lost Dragon, 03 September 2016 - 06:33 PM.

#15 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:13 PM

Many thanks for the snippets fella, some mad stuff listed in there and was a god dam shame too. Thanks for keeping it all alite for us. :)

Checking out the interview now..many thanks :)

Edit: I've read that fantastic interview previously , and for those that haven't?, get a move on and read a great interview with an amazing man.

Edited by Greyfox, 03 September 2016 - 08:16 PM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#16 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:07 AM

Yeah it's the old interview but Pete gives a more down to earth version of events than what's reported in the C.U article.

Re Amiga Gryzor etc, contacted ex-ocean coder myself last night in vain hope we can find more out in ST Green Beret, Combat School, The Vindicator etc as well as Amiga Gryzor.
  • Greyfox likes this

#17 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:04 AM

https://www.unseen64.net/news/

Book is now finished and on sale.

#18 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:27 AM

Upon looking at the video preview and based on the sheer amount of information they've surprisingly done a sterling job on this book, the layouts are minimal to compensate the text, the images seem of good resolution , some of the nested images are a little in places misguided and out of format, but this has no effect on the content, I hope this book sell sheds for them, I'd love a copy of the colour version, but that's too dam spicy for me.

You'll have to let me know mate, what and were your contributions in the Unseen book, you'll have had fame and fortune at last ;)

Edited by Greyfox, 23 September 2016 - 03:29 AM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#19 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:30 PM

Personally, i'd hope Luca has removed ALL my online contributions for the book, as i'm not comfortable with what's now old content being given valuable pages in the book, as they had to cut content and reduce pages.

So at best i'd wager i might be credited as contributor, as i did send him a lot of material on stuff like Unity etc, but how and indeed IF it's been used i honestly do not know.

From my own selfish point of view as a reader, i'm hoping book is cramned full of stuff you CANNOT find on the Unseen64 website and thus it's the perfect companion to the site.

• Greyfox likes this

#20 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:30 AM

Just to be clear as i hope my previous post didn't come across laced with a degree of snobbery:

Unseen64's book has called apon a huge pool of writers and i'm very much looking forward to reading a lot of fresh viewpoints on a broad range of games, rather than having to do what i've done with books covering Ocean, US Gold, Gremlin etc at various points, as through NO fault of their own, key games had been covered to death by likes of:Arcade/Edge/RG/Gamestm etc etc over the years and whilst there were new discoveries, you had to wade through a lot of collected content to find the new finds.

I know it was dissapointing for Luca to have to drop an awful lot of pages to meet Amazon requirements etc, but personally i feel it's been a blessing in disguise cand in the long run, it will have improved the book, content wise.

Rather than take today's press-esq approach, ie lets fill a good 6 pages with content you can find online for free and has been up there for months, Luca appears to have taken the right path here and put even exclusive interviews done for the book, which came in yielding dissapointing amounts of new insight, firmly into the 'For the Website only' pile, it's not made the cut for the book itself.

Ditto my various online interviews, email exchanges/finds etc.

IF any segments can be used to help build a case for what happened to...missing game A-Z, then i'm happy for them to be used as another piece of the jigsaw puzzle, but i don't want to see anything simply thrown in, just to make up the page count.

We have been chatting about future plans, there's talk of the site doing a 'feature' on The Panther, so i'd expect to see the interviews/chats with Jim Gregory, Joel S, Richard Browne, Lee Claire, Guildo H, Peter Johnson, various folks from Imagitec, ATD etc used there, maybe by then Frank Gasking will of had chance to put my Q's to Jeff Minter in person? i dunno, but expect some form of collected works, IF this goes ahead.

It'll certainly give a far more FACTUAL report on some of the supposed expert claims i've heard from special guests over past 18 months.

As for how well book will sell?

1 thing i really respect about Retro community is their HONESTY on how long term sales do, be it Lemmings or Atari VCS Book sales, things seem to slow to a trickle after inital surge, i'd rather people reported on this than put out claims like best selling or Gangbusters, when we all know they cannot give specifics as it's not company policy.

I'm being sent a free copy of the B/W white version and i wouldn't of accepted this, had i not racked up £100 in postage alone so far in sending material to Unseen64 for the book/site.

• Greyfox likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users