Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Yoomp! on the C64....

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:55 PM

I've often seen the A8 version used as a showcase of just how far the hardware could be pushed (and rightly so, it looks/sounds fantastic) well here it is running on the C64:

I have to say as an EX-800XL and C64 owner, i'd plump for the C64 version, personally.Looks 'better' and much prefer the SID music.

Horses for courses though :)

• RickR and Clint Thompson like this

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:11 PM

Here is is on Atari for comparison:

Pretty close I'd say.  That C64 video and sound seems "enhanced"/processed, but maybe I'm just used to SID sounds from a normal sound system. 

I've always thought the two machines had very very similar capabilities.  Each has it's own special pros and cons.  Example:  C64 has beautiful sound, but limited colors and horribly slow disk IO.  Atari has fast video, but limited sprites (number available and sizes). 

Always love seeing the machines pushed to their limits.

• Lost Dragon likes this

#3 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 545 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:26 PM

I'll have to check this out in a little bit when I can hear it =D but that came kind of unexpectedly! Looking forward to seeing how different it is but I have a feeling the music from the A8 is going to be beat... I've loved this game so much on the 800 for so many years, it's hard to see a different version come along and just 1UP it.

• Lost Dragon likes this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#4 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:27 PM

Exactly both had areas they excelled in (A8 more colours to choose from and why i'd rather play Ninja, Elktraglide etc on A8) faster CPU  (so again it'd be A8 for Dropzone and Rescue On Fract etc), Pokey was superb at Sound FX, but as a Tape owner, no turboloaders meant a life time of loading which was a major flaw.

With the C64, even when 3D games like Driller, Darkside etc really needed a much faster CPU to be playable, you had EPIC SID music.

Murky colours used well in games like Platoon, something i could never see A8 pulling off, ditto games like Target Renegade, Delta, Delta II, Sanxion, Hunters Moon, Bubble Bobble etc.

I really missed the speech in A8 Beach Head II, so that'd be C64 each time.....

A8 has best version of 8 Bit Space Harrier, but uses a lot of tricks, done over years.....

I just like to see how games fare when ported from C64 to A8 and vice versa.

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:28 PM

:) Seems like a good idea to create this thread then, didn't expect many responses as it's a C64 game :-)

• RickR likes this

#6 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:47 PM

Love the C64 myself.  I know a lot of people that had that system.  I didn't -- I had a VIC-20, and then an 800XL, but my friends all had C64.  It was always interesting to compare games that both systems had...like MULE and One on One basketball. 

• Lost Dragon likes this

#7 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:57 PM

In general, I think they compare as follows:

C64:

- Has more detailed graphics

- Has less colors

- Has far better sound

Atari:

- Is faster -- games play faster, objects move faster

- Is more refined (no load "*", 8, 1 , no waiting 10 minutes for games to load, no switching joystick ports)

- Has a lot more colors.

Beyond these generalities -- the systems were very similar and awesome to own.

Edited by RickR, 05 July 2016 - 03:57 PM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

#8 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

Man, that SID chip music is tough to beat.  

• Lost Dragon likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#9 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:54 PM

In general, I think they compare as follows:

C64:

- Has more detailed graphics

- Has less colors

- Has far better sound

Atari:

- Is faster -- games play faster, objects move faster

- Is more refined (no load "*", 8, 1 , no waiting 10 minutes for games to load, no switching joystick ports)

- Has a lot more colors.

Beyond these generalities -- the systems were very similar and awesome to own.

The biggest difference for me, at least back in their day, was price.  At the time it was a matter of convincing my father to get an Apple II for $1200, an Atari 800 for $800, or a C-64 for $300 (circa 1983).
It was a no brainer in my household, but ended up working out well.  For the first time in my life I owned a home machine that most of my friends had as well, so swapping was possible!   A luxury I hadn't enjoyed as an Intellivision kid.

• RickR and Lost Dragon like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#10 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:56 PM

The biggest difference for me, at least back in their day, was price.  At the time it was a matter of convincing my father to get an Apple II for $1200, an Atari 800 for $800, or a C-64 for $300 (circa 1983).
It was a no brainer in my household, but ended up working out well.  For the first time in my life I owned a home machine that most of my friends had as well, so swapping was possible!   A luxury I hadn't enjoyed as an Intellivision kid.

YES!  This makes total sense.  I was saving my money to buy a C64...it was the disk drive that was the biggest expense...when I found an Atari bundle on clearance at Sears.  $350 for an 800XL, a 1050 drive, and a 1025 printer.  It was a "I can't believe my eyes!" moment.  One of the most joyful days.

• Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

#11 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,630 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:58 PM

It's so funny, I remember so much about that day.  The mall, the salesman, the formulation of my plan to get my father to agree to let me buy it....The "Atari" smell upon opening the boxes....Ah, memories.

Edited by RickR, 05 July 2016 - 04:59 PM.

• Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

#12 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:53 PM

YES!  This makes total sense.  I was saving my money to buy a C64...it was the disk drive that was the biggest expense...when I found an Atari bundle on clearance at Sears.  $350 for an 800XL, a 1050 drive, and a 1025 printer.  It was a "I can't believe my eyes!" moment.  One of the most joyful days.

Man that WAS a deal!  
I previously had a Vic-20, so my tape drive was still my source of data for at least a year or so before I got the 1541.  I didn't know it was slow by industry standards, I only knew it was miraculous by my own standards.

• RickR and Lost Dragon like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users