Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Dig Dug

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:45 PM

did_you_know_digdug_1.png

• DeLorean, MaximumRD, greenween and 5 others like this

#2 atarilbc

atarilbc

Apple Member

• 501 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:14 PM

I love this game. I grew up with the 2600 version but my favorite version today is for the 7800. I believe that GCC was responsible for all three Atari console versions.
  • Justin, DeLorean and greenween like this

#3 greenween

greenween

The Mayor

• 1,164 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 01:49 AM

I used to ride my bicycle a mile each way with 2 quarters to play this or Kangaroo!

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

#4 Arcade Dude 44

Arcade Dude 44

Cherry Member

• 41 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:42 PM

I used to play this one ALL THE TIME, back in '82!  Unfortunately, I think I'm still sick of the arcade version. :)

• Justin likes this
My YouTube Channel: youtube.com/arcadedude44

#5 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,187 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:34 PM

My favorite game when it came out!!!

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#6 Jayson_B24

Jayson_B24

Strawberry Member

• 71 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:56 PM

One of my fall-back games whenever I need to just play something for the sake of playing something; classic!
  • greenween likes this
Atlas was permitted the opinion that he was at liberty, if he wished, to drop the Earth and creep away; but this opinion was all that he was permitted.

Franz Kafka

#7 Jimbronie

Jimbronie

Cherry Member

• 27 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:54 PM

Dig dug was one of the few carts I ever bought for my 800xl.
  • Lost Dragon likes this

#8 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:26 PM

I am lovin these  :)

• greenween likes this

#9 Bakerman

Bakerman

Orange Member

• 235 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:25 PM

it's been a favorite of mine since it came out in the arcades as a kid. I had the 2600 version, 5200 version, 7800 version and the close, but not exact to 5200, 8-bit version. My favorite was the 7800 version until there was a remake of the 8-bit version, i think it was with the release of the XEGS, or maybe it was a better disk version or whatever, but that one edged out the 7800 for me because the graphics where better (than original 8-bit) and of course the Pokey sound is better. 

"Slugs, he created slugs?...Is this not the work of a complete incompetent? I would have started with Lasers, 8 o'clock, day one."-Evil (Time Bandits)
"...burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me..."-theme song (Firefly)
"I try to respect him, I really, really do, but he's just such a Smeg-head."-Lister (about Rimmer, Red Dwarf)

#10 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,010 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:13 PM

I had this game for the 5200.  I still have it.  I am working on getting it for the 2600 and 7800 consoles.  It would be interesting to see this game get a revamp with bumped-up graphics.  Just sayin'.

#11 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,709 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:19 PM

I had this game for the 5200.  I still have it.  I am working on getting it for the 2600 and 7800 consoles.  It would be interesting to see this game get a revamp with bumped-up graphics.  Just sayin'.

I believe the made some remixes on some of the Namco Museum collections.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#12 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,709 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:24 PM

Did you know that Dig Dug is the father of Mr. Driller? He also used to be married to the main character from the Japanese arcade game Baraduke, but they got divorced. So Dig Dug might be the first divorced video game character.

• kamakazi20012 likes this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#13 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,010 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:14 AM

Did you know that Dig Dug is the father of Mr. Driller? He also used to be married to the main character from the Japanese arcade game Baraduke, but they got divorced. So Dig Dug might be the first divorced video game character.

Well, gee, I bet it is because Dig Dug didn't make enough money at work to satisfy the Mrs.  :rofl:  I'm not going to say what I had in mind next because I don't want to be banned from the site.

#14 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,187 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:49 PM

anyone tried this one?

Dig_Dug_Deeper_Coverart.png

I got this one on clearance at Office Depot (when I worked there) probably around 2002-2003. I find it really fun!

It adds a 3rd dimension to the original game.

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#15 TrekMD

TrekMD

Pretzel Member

• 447 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:21 PM

Dig Dug was an arcade favorite of mine and I loved both the 2600 and 7800 versions.  The 5200 version is also excellent, particularly because of the sound effects and music being more arcade-accurate.  I don't even remember seeing Pooka in Pole Position!  I must have been too busy crashing on the sign!  LOL

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users