Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Coming this Christmas - Atari Flashback 7 and....

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,718 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 07:35 PM

A few notes:

1) At Games (Atari licensed this, but isn't making it) reused the Sega design most likely due to cost. The extra buttons are for system switches and the like. 

2) It has been reported that while putting a cartridge slot for the Sega home system worked out, the cost is way to high for an Atari cartridge slot. Sorry  :(

3) You can pause!

4) Frogger is a redone version of the game which will be more arcade like than 2600 like. I believe they did this with Space Invaders on previous systems.

5) Don't read too much into to msrp. The other flashbacks have an msrp of 59.99, but retail for around $40. I expect these to be available at most retailers for $40-$50 with Holiday sales bringing them down to $25 -$35.

6) You can play 2600 games off the SD card, unless they used a special chip like Pitfall II (and you do own the ROMS, right? ;) )

7) It has a TV out, but you need to have your own cable to use it.

8) This will, for the most part, be very similar to the FB 6, except of course Frogger and they fact that there is a portable unit. 

Please note that while we all would love 1,000 games, cartridge slot, better emulation, knob dials for paddle games, etc, we are in a way lucky just to get this. Companies need to make money off their products and most plug n plays no longer make enough profit to warrant their existence (That's why you won't see followups to the INTV and CV versions). In order for these products to be profitable, the costs need to be kept low and they need to appeal to the general consumer, not the hard core retro gamer. They are banking more on spontaneous Christmas gift purchases than the retro gaming community. Sad to say, but that's just the reality of it.

On a side note, I am happy this is coming out. I think the button layout will be fine! I find the layout TERRIBLE for Street Fighter 2 on the Sega due to the angel, but since system switches are rarely used, it should be fine here.

However, I may not get it, since I'm guessing I already own most of the games on the great DS compilations.

• RickR, Arenafoot and atarilbc like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#22 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,718 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:47 PM

I decided to make a quick video covering this, since I think it's pretty cool!

I also made sure to give Arenafoot and the site shout-outs!

• Justin, The Professor, MaximumRD and 2 others like this

#23 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,842 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:55 PM

Portable AND SD card slot?  I'm in as long as it's less than $50. 

#24 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,718 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:01 PM

Portable AND SD card slot?  I'm in as long as it's less than $50. 

Like I said before, despite MSRP, I think that will be the going rate at most big chains and cheaper with sales.

• RickR likes this

#25 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,842 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:05 PM

The SD card slot is what really intrigues me.  The fact that it will run real ROMS indicates it's running a plain old emulator with no changes to game code.  I've always wondered about things like the Nintendo Gameboy compilations -- if they do the same or if they make any changes to the games.

Besides a woodgrain case, the only other improvement I can think of would be a joystick port so a real joystick or paddles could be used.

#26 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,188 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:56 PM

I decided to make a quick video covering this, since I think it's pretty cool!

I also made sure to give Arenafoot and the site shout-outs!

Thanks nos!

• nosweargamer likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#27 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,188 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 11:58 PM

Besides a woodgrain case, the only other improvement I can think of would be a joystick port so a real joystick or paddles could be used.

Someone will prob be able to mod one in the future for those ports. Along with someone changing the case to woodgrain too.  :atari_2600:  :thumb:

• Clint Thompson likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#28 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,032 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:12 AM

Here's a quick look at the Atari Flashback Portable from 10 years ago that we never got

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  • MaximumRD, RickR, Arenafoot and 1 other like this

#29 atarifan95

atarifan95

Strawberry Member

• 50 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:04 AM

Here's a quick look at the Atari Flashback Portable from 10 years ago that we never got
attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Now THAT'S more my style right there!

If only...

But, this new portable that we're getting this Fall is a step in the right direction at least. Thumbs up!

Edited by atarifan95, 08 July 2016 - 11:08 AM.

• RickR and Arenafoot like this

#30 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,188 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:22 PM

update..........

https://www.facebook...?type=3

as seen at the 2016 Gamestop Expo last month

Looks like it didn't get canceled after all!   :thumb:

• Justin and nosweargamer like this

#31 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,283 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:33 PM

Woo!!!

#32 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,188 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:51 AM

http://www.toysrus.c...ductId=96047666

$10 cheaper than "Suggested Retail Price"!!!!! and free shipping!!

• Justin, MaximumRD and RickR like this

#33 RawSteelUT

RawSteelUT

• 9 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:46 PM

Actually, where WOULD one go about getting an Atari cartridge slot?  Are slots in the style of those used in the Atari line even made?

#34 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,188 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:09 PM

Actually, where WOULD one go about getting an Atari cartridge slot?  Are slots in the style of those used in the Atari line even made?

You have to have either the Atari Flashback 2 or 2+ to mod with a cart slot. AT Games did not make any Atari FB's w/ a cart slot.

#35 atarilbc

atarilbc

Apple Member

• 502 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:56 PM

Why would you need a cartridge slot with the SD slot? I was on the fence about this but the inclusion of the SD slot put me over. $39 for a portable 2600, I'm in. Why AT Games doesn't include an SD slot on the standard FB is beyond me.

#36 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,188 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:56 PM

Staples Black Friday ad leaked out........ check out page 2

http://blackfriday.g...Scans/Staples/2

"starting as low as $19.99.......... Classic game consoles"  :atari_2600:

Attached Thumbnails

• staples.JPG

• RickR and atarilbc like this

#37 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,283 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:28 AM

For 19.99 i would definitely get the portable 2600. What stores are the deals at?

Edited by jmjustin6, 07 November 2016 - 12:28 AM.

#38 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,188 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:01 AM

For 19.99 i would definitely get the portable 2600. What stores are the deals at?

ad above is for Staples.

#39 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,842 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:08 AM

I'm the guy who'll pay $40 to avoid having to deal with Black Friday crowds.  :)  Sanity is worth the extra $20. 

There's actually a growing trend of stores and malls staying closed on Black Friday, which I think is a good thing.  Off topic...sorry!

• Arenafoot and Starbuck66 like this

#40 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,283 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 12:56 PM

Ok just incase anyome is curious. I just went to gamestop and asked about the flashback portable and they say it is on preorder right now for $49.99

Edited by jmjustin6, 10 November 2016 - 12:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users