Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Donkey Kong turns 35 today!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Retrogamer81081

Retrogamer81081

Apple Member

• 562 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:05 PM

July 9, 1981 is a big day in video gaming history. One of the most iconic arcade games of all time was released by Nintendo called Donkey Kong. As you all know your objective is to control Mario, known then as Jumpman through 4 areas which is ahead of it's time and ground breaking in '81.

The Ramp Stage: The stage where Donkey Kong tosses barrells you must avoid or leap over while avoiding fireballs that appear from the exploding barrells.

The Elevator Stage: Go up and down making timeley leaps avoiding pacing fireballs and jackhammers.

The Pie Factory: Navigate through conveyor belts while avoiding more fireballs and cement pans.

The Rivets Level: Remove rivets and collect objects to make Donkey Kong fall descending to the ground.

Items include hammers which will give you a set time to destroy barrells and fireballs. You can't leap while having possession.

Bonus points include collecting Pauline's items which are a purse, parasol, and hat.

Tell us some great memories of playing Donkey Kong. I first played it when I was a young kid in the late 80's as I was born exactly one month after it's release. I loved it the first time I played it and still holds a special place in my heart today.

Donkey-Kong-SC3-Arcade-Machine.jpg
  • RickR, atarilbc, fergojisan and 1 other like this

#2 fergojisan

fergojisan

Orange Member

• 214 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:03 PM

Happy Birthday, old friend.

I used to play DK on my way to school at Paul's Stationery (on my way home too). I had to buy the book to help me get through the elevator level, which had proven a bear for me. I had heard about the Pac-Man patterns, but didn't realize the springs came in patterns until I got the book. When I finally made it through that level, I let out a loud WHOOP and the guy behind the counter told me to keep it down or I would get thrown out.

Good times. <3

• Retrogamer81081 and atarifan95 like this

#3 Ballblaɀer

Ballblaɀer

Defender

• 465 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:32 PM

My initial exposure to DK was super backwards.  Before anything else, I played... the board game, at a friend's place.  I don't remember much (I think I was about 7 years old, maybe?) other than I was intrigued by the flaming barrel of oil depicted at the bottom.

My first video game exposure to DK was the 2600 port, unfortunately.  For a long time I had no idea that the original was any more complex than the Ramp Stage and Rivets Level!  Who knew there was more than just the two easy, repeating levels?  And wait, those things sliding around in the Rivets Level are fireballs?  Really?  We never had the manual for it as kids, so we never knew what they were.

It wasn't until much later that I finally got to play on an arcade cabinet.  Having only played the total cakewalk that is the 2600 version, I was surprised at the difficulty.  The barrels are actual dangers!  The fireballs climb ladders!  There are other levels!  It wasn't until then that I really understood why it had been such a popular game/franchise.

HB DK!

• Retrogamer81081 and atarifan95 like this

#4 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,250 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:45 PM

Happy birthday Donkey Kong
  • Retrogamer81081 likes this

#5 atarifan95

atarifan95

Strawberry Member

• 48 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:07 PM

My brother and I used to play flash games online. We really got into Mario flash games that were fan-made (there are some really good ones out there). Eventually, we found a flash version of Donkey Kong, that claimed to be the first Mario game ever made (which was a true claim). Only the first level was included, but the game was so hard that it didn't matter, because it was about a year before we could even complete the one level. I've discovered since then (after playing other, more official, ports of the game), that the flash version is a piece of junk. The collision detection has to be very VERY precise, or you won't make it, and that's only in the flash version. Nevertheless, it holds a special place in my heart for being my introduction to that game, holding hours of fun trying to beat it with my brother.

Happy birthday Donkey Kong! And happy birthday Mario, too!
  • Retrogamer81081 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users