Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Strider II (US Gold) was at least started...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:58 PM

Games That Weren't have been able to CONFIRM Strider II was indeed in development for the Atari Lynx, but at present details are still very vague as to just how worked on the title and exact reasons it was cancelled.

Further investigation work is being carried out, but thought i'd bump this thread to say it does indeed look like this was a true lost Lynx game.

Whilst not an exclusive, it might of made for a distraction.

What with this, Joel talking about Lynx Rolling Thunder, Guildo his Panther RPG, it's been great to get some more information regarding Lost Atari games out to the community these past few days.

• Greyfox and RickR like this

#2 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:31 PM

Wow,my thats insane all these wonderful titles in a hand held, it's a dying shame they never got released on all accounts, again amazing recovery work man.
  • Lost Dragon likes this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#3 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:43 PM

Thanks Greyfox, more yet to come.

All it took was some proper research, a lot of time, fingers being crossed and kindness of others who could reach people i couldn't via Facebook etc (in case of Strider II, i just mentioned it to GTW, they did the leg work, Les Player was kind enough to put me in touch with Bob Katz...), sheer luck on my part regarding those i found off my own back: (Guildo/ Panther RPG, Joel for Panther/Lynx work) and not giving up...contacted Joel regarding Rolling Thunder on Lynx twice, he replied second time around.

Much like all the other Lost Game info i've been lucky enough to get in (Conan etc) all it took was an internet connection, email account and being 100% honest with those you approached.

Then once you get information, share it, as long as folks are happy to be quoted and that's it, closure once and for all.

I'd much rather report 'bad' news, than attempt to decieve by putting up screens/footage from other versions as 'proof' games were started or lie about who i'd spoken to and what they said.

If nothing came in/folks didn't want to talk? that's what happened so why not say so?.

• Greyfox likes this

#4 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:57 PM

Very true fella, , it's guys like yourself that show that misleading or fabricating the story via changing or rearranging the statement of those you've spoken too or sensualizing the entire article to suit your wallet, then I'd rather not even bother investing my time , money and effect into that, and with what you've delivered is pure proof of that type of behaviour within retro gaming journalism from certain areas.

Keep rocking fella, your making history and having those whom think they're making history fade quicker than Pork chop sinking down a tank full of piraña :)
  • Lost Dragon likes this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:37 AM

I've been labelled a trouble maker, a troll, far far worse I'm sure :-)) because I never take ANY magazine claim at face value.

No matter who wrote the claim, what publishing arm the magazine fell under, i'll look into it and report back.

If they've knowingly used mock up shots or CGI and tried to pass it off as actual in game, it will be outed.

If the writer miss quotes from a magazine article of old,i'll make sure said article is posted in full, so quote can be seen in full context.

If video footage is doctored from far more powerful hardware,i'll point out where it came from.

I'll try and find people who hated hardware just as hard as I do those who loved it,rather than just have folks gush over a platform just because, oh it's Atari.

I had serious doubts Tiertex had ever started Lynx Strider 2 as no one ever seemed to have screens or any idea who coded it, but I kept looking and thanks to a chat i had with Frank Gasking over on GTW, his network of contacts has been able to confirm it was and he's now looking a lot deeper into the story.

This is how community research should be, each of us helping each other out, not for fame,personal gain etc, just closure on what became of...

Then sharing info for FREE when it comes in.

I've paid damn good money for books, magazines etc in hope of finding something on Lynx Strider 2 all turned out to be wastes of time and money.

So called lost Lynx game experts never came up with the goods for this, nor Rolling Thunder so I had to put in the hours myself.
  • Greyfox likes this

#6 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:42 PM

GTW have chatted to coder, trouble is, he's not had any contact with the graphics artists who worked on it, for over 20 years....so further digging is being done.

#7 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:02 AM

We've moaned about how there simply isn't any real research done on articles these days...

Just reading a look at Capcom and it's ST conversions in Atari User magazine, Strider 2 covered,but not only had Tiertex done similar earlier with Human Killing Machine, but their version of Strider 2 was not converted to coin op..

Capcom's Strider Hiryu 2 was a side scrolling 3D polygon affair,running on the ZN-2 arcade board and ported to PSone...

Writers,do your research...

Where this claim comes from is UK Magazine, Your Sinclair, claiming Capcom were SO impressed by Tiertex's ZX Spectrum version of Strider 2, they wanted to use it as the BASIS for THEIR Strider 2 coin-op..which in REALITY totally IGNORED the Tiertex effort :-)

Edited by Lost Dragon, 12 August 2016 - 04:55 PM.

#8 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:43 AM

Just an update from GTW who are looking into the Lynx version/had email contact with the coder etc...

Emails have 'gone cold'..so Frank's hoping for a SKYPE chat at some point.

Also, just to clarify what was printed in Atari User Magazine regarding Tiertex game being used by Capcom for basis of their Strider 2 Coin-Op...as the person who wrote that feature would say..SO MUCH FAIL....

Claim came from the Your Sinclair 2 Page Preview of the game and they said the RUMOUR going around the UK Industry at the time was Tiertex had submitted their take on Strider to Capcom to see IF they would like to produce a Coin-Op version of it....

A YS spokesperson then is meant to of put this claim to 'Selina' at Tiertex and asked if the claim was true...

Selina replied...."So we are told"....

Now how on earth that gets written up by The Laird as Capcom used the Tiertex game to be the basis of the coin-op sequel, i simply do not know.

We cannot even confirm Capcom had the Tiertex game to look at as it is...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users