Nintendo Announces the Mini-NES, w/ 30 Classic Games

StormSurge

This is interesting. On the positive side, the game selection is pretty fantastic, the styling is great - arguably better than the ATGames flashbacks, I also love the HDMI out. I wonder how they are handling the emulation of the software?

On the negative, I think that not having the ability to use real software and accessories is a huge misstep when considering most of the clones allow you to do so. Why have a stylized door if you can't put a cart in there? For me, this is a deal breaker. I'm planning to get an AVS at a much higher price but would have jumped on this had it included those features. That said, they'll sell a million of these to casual fans.

I saw this posted elsewhere and didn't think it was real at first. Did some research and surprised that it is and kind of surprised it took Nintendo this long to do it. So much for the Analogue Nt now eh? I'm guessing this is the size of an actual NES cart so, I could see it being problematic trying to make that work ;-)

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

It has a decent game selection, wonder why its only 30?

If they had an SD card on it, it would be pretty remarkable!  

There's LOTS of cheap NES clones out there, but they aren't marketed well.  If they market these like the Flashbacks (in Dollar Store, Sam's Club, etc) they'll do really well I think.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Honestly? Coming straight from Nintendo I had to do some checking and make sure it was valid lol. I could not believe it was official. I am not surprised it will not play ROMS being from Nintendo themselves as they have always been against ROMS and emulation (outside of their own VC offerings) but to have an officially licensed plug n play with Wii / WiiU compatible classic controllers ? I admit I am surprised and impressed. Definitely a step in the right direction and good to see the big N finally embracing a concept like this. WHO KNOWS? We will see what modders / hackers do with this little baby but having that official seal, I think that is just cool. YEAH if it were any other company you know I would be all "WHERE IS THE SD SLOT? WHY CAN'T I PLAY ROMS AND ORIGINAL CARTS!!!" but honestly I was not even expecting what we are getting officially from Nintendo so I think it is a step in the right direction that will sell like mad.  

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

It has a decent game selection, wonder why its only 30?

Hey its 10 more games than the Atari Flashback (1)! Maybe in 5-7 years we'll have 100+ on it. (baby steps.....baby steps.....) B)

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Here is the list of games that the NES Classic Edition is reported to include:

• Balloon Fight
  • Bubble Bobble
  • Castlevania
  • Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
  • Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Double Dragon II: The Revenge
  • Dr. Mario
  • Excitebike
  • Final Fantasy
  • Galaga
  • Ghosts N' Goblins 
  • Gradius
  • Ice Climber
  • Kid Icarus
  • Kirby's Adventure
  • Mario Bros.
  • Mega Man 2
  • Metroid
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Pac-Man
  • Punch-Out! Featuring Mr. Dream
  • Star Tropics
  • Super C
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Tecmo Bowl
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

original.jpg

So, the controller ports are the same as the Wii remote/nunchuck/classic controller ports...I wonder.....

Yes they are compatible! Classic controllers for $10!

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

What no Mike Tyson Punch Out?!

They have Punch Out, but without Tyson, the way it's been ever since Iron Mike got in trouble with the law. Even if he didn't, the most likely wouldn't pay him to license his name again.

Also, don't expect real players or teams in Tecmo Bowl.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I'm curious as to how the quality will differ, or if at all, from the Flashback and other retro consoles released. I understand that you have to cut corners to meet a price point but have never understood why the quality has to be dwindled down so bad. I thought the Flashback was downright awful with the cheapest possible plastics and sticker decals made available. I realize at the end of the day that people probably only care about is playing games but what happened to them actually being of quality instead of toys you get from the $1 store.

Of course, I come from a time where stereos were made from chunks of aluminum and Atari used very alluring, thick plastics, metal nameplates and shiny black reflective surfaces.

With the Atari flashbacks, there was a huge issue with fakes. Is it possible you got a fake unit? I've been using and loving the FB2 controllers for years now. I think they are nice quality.

No, I had several and one was even direct from Atari themselves from NY. Maybe my expectations are off...

With that said, I've broken about every single controller that's come with the FB units. Junk....

I'm surprised this wasn't leaked (or mentioned) at this years E3 during the Nintendo Treehouse. Wonder if they saved it for some other reason.

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

oh my bad............. they did!

post-52-0-89541300-1468603567_thumb.jpg