Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Nintendo Announces the Mini-NES, w/ 30 Classic Games

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,471 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:38 PM

It's coming out in November.

My birthday is in November.

Nintendo loves me.

I also am a November birthday.  :beer:

#22 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 628 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:59 AM

I'm curious as to how the quality will differ, or if at all, from the Flashback and other retro consoles released. I understand that you have to cut corners to meet a price point but have never understood why the quality has to be dwindled down so bad. I thought the Flashback was downright awful with the cheapest possible plastics and sticker decals made available. I realize at the end of the day that people probably only care about is playing games but what happened to them actually being of quality instead of toys you get from the $1 store.

Of course, I come from a time where stereos were made from chunks of aluminum and Atari used very alluring, thick plastics, metal nameplates and shiny black reflective surfaces.

• RickR, Lost Dragon and Ballblaɀer like this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#23 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,471 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:43 AM

With the Atari flashbacks, there was a huge issue with fakes. Is it possible you got a fake unit? I've been using and loving the FB2 controllers for years now. I think they are nice quality.
  • Lost Dragon likes this

#24 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 628 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:01 PM

With the Atari flashbacks, there was a huge issue with fakes. Is it possible you got a fake unit? I've been using and loving the FB2 controllers for years now. I think they are nice quality.

No, I had several and one was even direct from Atari themselves from NY. Maybe my expectations are off...

With that said, I've broken about every single controller that's come with the FB units. Junk....

• StormSurge and Lost Dragon like this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#25 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,279 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:17 PM

I'm surprised this wasn't leaked (or mentioned) at this years E3 during the Nintendo Treehouse. Wonder if they saved it for some other reason.

• Lost Dragon likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#26 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,279 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:26 PM

oh my bad............. they did!

Attached Thumbnails

• 13690758_1239856242715124_2385396072747121320_n.jpg

• MaximumRD, Clint Thompson, StormSurge and 3 others like this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#27 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,097 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:07 PM

oh my bad............. they did!

HaHa Stealing that !  ;)

• Arenafoot and Lost Dragon like this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#28 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,346 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:31 PM

I'm actually interested in this.  I am not interested in what it does but what it has.  For $60 you are getting 30 games, most of which are hard to come by these days without having to take out a bank loan.  For the Castlevania titles and Mega Man 2 games alone the $60 pays for itself.  Connect this to your Wii Remote and you can play these games on your Wii or Wii U through the virtual console.  Even if it is non-functioning the NES shape would not be the same if the cart door outlines were missing.  My only question is how did they get the licensing from all those companies and still manage to keep the price low?

Another thing I can also understand is the missing ports to use original NES accessories.  Think about it.  HDMI for modern TVs.  That alone tells you that you will need a HDTV to play this thing.  HDTVs can't use the light gun (I know the name of the gun but that key on my computer keyboard don't work for some reason) so there was no point in attempting that route.  Likewise R.O.B. uses the same setup so it wouldn't be of any use either.  

I think most would agree that if you look at the games included alone, tried to find those loose for the original NES, and you will see just how much you will be saving.  Would you rather spend $60 for 30 games or $60 for two games, maybe three if you're lucky?  I'm going to give it a shot.  I've already got money set back for one and I am planning on picking up two of them...one to play and one to remain unopened.  It's about time Nintendo did this and I hope they will do the same with the Super NES sometime. 

Edited by kamakazi20012, 16 July 2016 - 06:31 PM.

• Justin, MaximumRD, Clint Thompson and 2 others like this

#29 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,032 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

• Justin, MaximumRD, StormSurge and 1 other like this

#30 fergojisan

fergojisan

Orange Member

• 222 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:09 PM

I was actually excited for this, but now that I know it's only HD, I'm out unfortunately. I think I have an HD in on my DVD player, but I don't know if that will work. Anyone?

• The Professor and StormSurge like this

#31 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,097 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:06 PM

Here’s what classic games will actually look like on the HD NES Classic Edition

http://arstechnica.c...sole-emulation/

• The Professor likes this

#32 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,032 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:26 AM

I was actually excited for this, but now that I know it's only HD, I'm out unfortunately. I think I have an HD in on my DVD player, but I don't know if that will work. Anyone?

I agree with you, but I'm glad there's an HD option. Suddenly 30 classic NES games have been "remastered" and are available at a far more reasonable price than some of the cartridges are going for right now. I'll always have my NES hooked up to my regular tv, but the NES Classic will be a nice addition to any room with an HDTV and make these games accessible to more people.
  • Justin, MaximumRD and MalakZero like this

#33 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,476 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:31 AM

I like that box. It actually looks like an original nes box
  • Justin, MaximumRD and RickR like this

#34 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,162 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:58 AM

Doh! That stinks! That's the main selling point for me.

#35 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Pear Member

• 1,011 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:31 PM

Wait, HD ONLY? But I use a CRT... :(
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#36 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,279 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:18 PM

Upcoming mini-Mega Drive means the Sega vs Nintendo console wars are back, and fun-sized

http://www.gamesrada...ign=buffer_grfb

http://realgamemedia...spotted-online/

#37 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,471 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:41 PM

If this thing is sold by Nintendo, that means it probably will not be discounted. No clearance sales at Walgreens and such.

#38 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,097 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:06 PM

Upcoming mini-Mega Drive means the Sega vs Nintendo console wars are back, and fun-sized

http://www.gamesrada...ign=buffer_grfb

http://realgamemedia...spotted-online/

Naw man this is not new, just articles clickbaiting  ;)

It was STARTED by this article http://www.usgamer.n...-a-mini-genesis

Which was surprising coming from Jeremy Perish but I think he knew full well the title was misleading clickbait because IN the article he mention "Based on the descriptive text at U.K. retailer Smyths Toys' website, this "new" device is little more than the latest iteration of the Genesis clone consoles a Chinese manufacturer called At Games has been issuing in different formats for the past few years. Unfortunately, they're anything but a nostalgic home run. 

Just the latest "revision" of product that has been around for years but with the appearance on the Nes Mini everyone is acting like this is some new offering to challenge / compete with Nintendo. The emulation is OK but the sound reproduction leaves something to be desired :P 

#39 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,279 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:27 AM

I was thinking it had been released already (with fewer games). So its actually Nintendo that is dragging behind Atari, SEGA, and Intv/Coleco this time around.

#40 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,471 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:53 AM

I think a "wait and see" approach is probably a good idea here...but I get the feeling that with Nintendo actually producing this (and not ATGames or another third party), this is going to be of very high quality.  At least I hope so.

I think it's fair to say that only the Atari Flasback 2 and 2+ have been really good quality -- since they attempted to recreate the original hardware.  Don't get me wrong -- the other flashbacks have been really good and a lot of fun, but always with a quality caveat -- such as the wonky sound for the Genesis flashbacks, or not being able to save games, or (again) bad sounds on the CV flashback, or that one buggy game on the INTV fb, etc.  And let's not forget the original Atari Flashback 1 -- the one that was so bad it actually made me feel angry. 

Like I said, I really hope they make this a nice, authentic unit.  No nickel and diming please -- if it is only HDMI, then include a cable....that kind of omission is just terrible. 

• MaximumRD and jmjustin6 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users