Nintendo Announces the Mini-NES, w/ 30 Classic Games

StormSurge

NO I didn't....... I thought maybe I stumbled across something ...... or some possible prototype pic. O well maybe next time  :)

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

The Mini NES Classic Edition may have some neat display modes, according to NintendoLife. Based on a recent interview with Julie Gagnon from Nintendo Canada, it sounds like the Mini NES will be capable of some retro-styled display options. From the article:

Through Virtual Console formats and even the neat retro Mario amiibo effect in Super Mario Maker (sort of), Nintendo has mastered alternative display options with a retro look. From smoothing of DS games on Wii U to the native resolution feature for SNES games on New 3DS, there are often simple options to view retro games in the best way.

With the NES Classic Edition (Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System in Europe) on the way, it's only logical that it'll have some options built in. We already know of 30 included games and individual save states for each title, and it transpires it may also have some display options. We're hesitant to say it definitely will as the report (via Nintendo Everything) is a translation from a Canadian radio show in French. Julie Gagnon from Nintendo Canada said the following regarding some alternative screen modes, which we hope are going to be included.

What is interesting is that we can play through HDMI, but there will be different modes of how we will see the screen – a mode simulating the retro aspect of our old CRT screens, there will be a mode which can be at the resolution of the modern screens in 4:3 format, and a pixel perfect mode which will display each pixel as a square, so people can have fun with this too.

Occasionally details from interviews like this can be a little off base, but we reckon the odds are high that features like these will be present in the upcoming mini NES.

As mentioned above, there's little reason why the system won't have these sorts of options - which tempts you the most?

Full article from NintendoLife: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/08/the_mini_nes_classic_edition_may_have_some_neat_display_modes

Here's a new "features trailer" Nintendo released earlier today for the US Version of the NES Classic Edition. It includes a nice look at the UX:

From Nintendo:

Whether you have fond NES memories or want to introduce yourself and your kids to the video games that made Nintendo a household name, you’ll love the compact and attractive console. The hub of the NES Classic Edition is the HOME Menu, which can be used to access all 30 of the classic NES games. From here, you can adjust various settings or just dive into a game and start playing. To help locate games quickly and easily, you can press the Select button to sort by title, two-player games, recently played games, number of times played, release date and publisher.

To make sure every Goomba stomp looks as authentic as possible, all games can be played in three display modes. With the CRT filter, a scan-line effect is added to the screen to give everything that oh-so-retro look and feel. 4:3 is a sharp, clean look that adheres to the original aspect ratio used by the NES. And when playing in Pixel Perfect mode, every pixel is shown as a perfect square, providing the most accurate representation of the games as they were originally designed.

Retro gaming is defined in part by the search for save spots and the need to enter long passwords, but in practice, those tasks can definitely be a little … um … time consuming. While all aspects of the original 30 NES games are intact, Suspend Points have been added to streamline the experience of playing them. At any point during gameplay, simply press the console’s Reset button to return to the HOME Menu and save a Suspend Point that will let you pick up right where you left off. Up to four Suspend Points can be saved per game, so you can track the progress of multiple players or file away your favorite moments. This is great news for parents, as their kids won’t be able to use the “I’ll be there when I get to the next save point!” excuse any more when dinner is ready.

Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition is a little more than a month away! To learn more about the system while you wait for it to launch on Nov. 11 (and to view the list of all 30 playable NES games), visit http://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic

RDS Industries has an awesome Deluxe Carrying Case coming out for the NES Classic Edition on November 22, 2016. It's officially licensed by Nintendo and it looks great! You can purchase it on Amazon for $19.99 with free shipping on orders over $49. If you're interested you can check it out here: https://www.amazon.com/RDS-Industries-NES-Classic-Carrying-Case/dp/B01LYFRCWF

Mini_NES_Classic_Edition_Carrying_Case_1.jpg

Mini_NES_Classic_Edition_Carrying_Case_2.jpg

Mini_NES_Classic_Edition_Carrying_Case_3.jpg

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Don't forget "Nintendo Power Line" opens at 6am PT in the morning!

Nintendo NYC shared this photo on Instagram, it's a sneak peek of their new display celebrating the history of the NES. Notice the alternate NES Control Pad, the slightly-off proportions of a mock-up NES console, and the different grip of the NES Light Zapper.

attachicon.gifUnknown.jpeg

Here's picture of the same display.....but if what everyone wants to see!  The rare NES Computer and controllers!

post-52-0-68698800-1478839797.jpg

Well...we (my wife and I) made it.  Our store got six...I was second.  The sixth guy was going on about how other areas were doing after talking to others (family or friends...not sure) on his cell.  It was mentioned that a Wal-Mart in Florida accidentally sold their units on the 10th at midnight.  Opps.  And before we went into our Wal-Mart we stopped by GameStop after hours to see if they had any ads for the system.  All they had was a note, taped to the door, showing what they got (6 units, 1 controller) and that it was first come, first serve, no exceptions.  

I was actually expecting a mob to come storming in after the six units sold off to try to get them one way or another.  This was the very first time I ever experienced waiting for a console to be released.  Granted it is an emulator of sorts it's the fact that it came from Nintendo and is, to some degree, a unique piece of hardware.  The transactions went very smooth and in the order we all arrived.  It only took five minutes after we got there for six of us to wait.  Anyone else was told they were sold out.  

The one thing that bugged me, and actually upset my wife so much that it brought her to tears, was we were told by the night manager selling the units in the electronics department that we could not take pictures.  The statement was made because my wife, being the first time we ever did anything like this, wanted a picture of the item being handed to me after purchase.  It seemed like a harmless act but we were later told when we asked about it that Wal-Mart has an indoor policy stating that no pictures are allowed to be taken while in the store by anyone.  I use to work there and I've never heard of such a thing.  Then again we were not always told everything either.  I'm not sure how to take that one but at least we got one.

As promised, and as soon as the wife makes up her mind when I can have it (later or wait until Christmas), I will do a review of it on my blog here at Atari.IO.  We did manage to sneak in a couple of pics so as soon as I pull those off the wife's phone I will share them here.  I really think this thing was a bigger success than Nintendo thought it to be.  There were already cars parked in the GameStop parking lot when we left.

I toyed with the idea of hitting Wal Mart at midnight but I get up too early. I also thought about working from home today so I could hit Target at 8 AM but I'm off on Monday, so I need to get things done.

So, the wife has been dispatched to hit Target on her way to work this morning. Fingers crossed she can nab at least one. I'm hoping for two as my daughter wants one for Christmas.

I hate that Nintendo plays these games with the limited supply. I'm sure there are plenty waiting around to flood stores once the hype has reached a crescendo.