Connecting Dreamcast to the Internet

LeeJ07

Anybody here know how to connect a Dreamcast to the internet in this modern era? I have a laptop which can access an AT&T wireless network, and I was wondering if it would be possible to run a phoneline from the Dreamcast modem to my laptop while it's connected to the web, and get the Dreamcast to connect that way. Is that even feasible?

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

I don't really think there is a fesable way anymore, unless you have a landline in your house.  Even a lot of the carriers like NetZero and Juno have dropped the ability to dial out with the Dreamcast.
Here's a list of free carriers: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3175&start=10

but by the looks of it, most of those ISPs no longer work.  Dial-up is essentially a dead technology, it's only used in fringe cases and fax machines and the fax machines only talk to other fax machines, they don't connect to a network.

the other option is to get the broadband adapter which has an ethernet port in the back, which would work a lot better.

Another option (if you dont have a landline) would be to try using a Magic Jack? Its a USB VoIP device that converts to/from analog telephone signal to digital HTTP/TCP packets that computers use.

I think the very expensive (last time I checked anyway) broadband adapter is probably the only real way you're going to get your Dreamcast online. Not even sure any of the games are playable anymore as I'm sure all the servers have disappeared - someone correct me if I'm wrong. I only ever played a few games online with the Dreamcast using dial-up and just remember it being quite slow.

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

I recall doing it briefly when that was a thing but really I found it slow slow, cumbersome that I did not fiddle with it for long. IMHO not worth the effort. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

All the official servers are long gone, but dedicated enthusiasts with a lot more knowledge than myself have brought several Dreamcast games back online with fan servers, so it's not entirely a fruitless exercise...

PSO, Quake 3 Arena, and several others are playable online thanks to the fan servers.

The most recent was ChuChu Rocket, which was brought back online on June 7th of this year. Connecting to the fan servers is not too difficult, I've read, but the greatest difficulty is getting the Dreamcast online in the first place...

I think the Broadband Adaptor may indeed be worth its high price after all.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

I don't know if you can patch your Dreamcast's modem to a laptop with a modem built-in and piggyback off your laptop's internet connection or not.  I know it can be done with an original XBOX but I am not sure about a Dreamcast.  You might check out http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/dreamcast/dreamcast-isos/for more information.  Someone there might know and while you are at it make use of some blank CDRs, download IMG BURNER, a few ISO games for Dreamcast and play some games.  I was always under the assumption that ISPs almost always had a dial in number if it was ever needed.

Archived