Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Replacing the CV controller knob with a ball

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,418 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:25 PM

For those interested, I've replaced the nubby knob on my original Colecovision joystick with a nice quality ball knob.  Check it out.

CV Knob 2016-07-18 001.JPG

CV Knob 2016-07-18 002.JPG

The procedure is easy to do, and easily reversible.  Here are the left over parts:

CV Knob 2016-07-18 005.JPG

There is some great info over on Atari Age in this post.  Although the group order is over, there are a few users over there that have leftovers and are selling them individually.  And if there is a lot of interest over here, I'm sure we could do our own group order. 

• Justin, The Professor, Atari Adventure Square and 1 other like this

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,418 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:33 PM

chas10e, was it you who pointed this out to me?  I want to give credit, but don't remember who steered me towards trying this.

#3 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:37 PM

I would be in for a few

#4 chas10e

chas10e

Pretzel Member

• 460 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

chas10e, was it you who pointed this out to me?  I want to give credit, but don't remember who steered me towards trying this.

yeah I we were talking about it in chat here ;)

it were others in that post that knew about the original CV controller specs, I was messing around with the CV-Flashback

• RickR likes this

#5 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,418 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:44 PM

Well, I just played a few games with it. Verdict: awesome! It's a huge improvement. Much easier to hold and that makes it more accurate.
  • Justin and MaximumRD like this

#6 Atari Adventure Square

Atari Adventure Square

Orange Member

• 267 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:36 AM

I have a Colecovision that could use this upgrade.

Of course the last time I tried it, I think it still had its original 'loose cart' syndrome, whereas a nudge (or a dirty look) could knock the ongoing playthrough out of commission.

Would need some doctorin' TLC, but knobs are a good start.

#7 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,275 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:10 AM

And if there is a lot of interest over here, I'm sure we could do our own group order. 

How large of an order was it? or how large would it have to be for another order?

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#8 chas10e

chas10e

Pretzel Member

• 460 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:48 PM

How large of an order was it? or how large would it have to be for another order?

the shipping was the killer for the phelonic balls unless bought in bulk

I recall an interest list was made & order was placed based on that  a few more where purchased

there were two different thread types

he placed an order for 100 knobs :o http://atariage.com/...rder/?p=3194686

#9 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Pretzel Member

• 366 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:40 PM

When I had my wife's Colecovision modded by Yurkie over on the AtariAge forums, I had him do this mod to the controllers, and I agree, it really does help with responsiveness and overall control. Been happy with ours so far.

• RickR likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users