Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Hard Drivin' Review - Amiga Format

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Pretzel Member

• 497 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:59 PM

Scan provided by Lost Dragon - Enjoy!

hard_drivin_amiga_review.jpg

• Lost Dragon likes this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#2 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Pear Member

• 2,461 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:10 AM

Thought i'd throw this one Clint's way, as well nice to get a tad more Amiga coverage on here, but more so as it's a prime example of how UK Press were (i found), honest enough to point out what worked in the Arcades, did not really 'work' in terms of long term enjoyment, on the home formats.

Espically when you take away a lot of the custom cabinet selling points.

I've mentioned it before, but Lynx Hard Drivin, no matter how technically impressive it might be, simply doesn't work (for myself) on the small screen with those unresponsive controls.

I've been trolled on other forums in the past for being honest enough to point out to folks who'd barged in claiming ohh UK Press loved Lynx Hard Drivin, that this simply was not the case overal and pointed to the C+VG review as an example of the more balanced viewpoint and was told that was simply 1 review, there were far more in favour of the game.

Well, like i pointed out with the Xenophobe reviews (another example of myself being trolled online elsewhere for pointing out it got very mixed reviews by UK Press), i'll happily stand by my comments and more so, supply the proof to back up my claims :) and try and add a degree of balance to the overal picture of how Coin-Op conversions were recieved across numerous formats, by UK Press, at the time.

Having owned a C64, ST, Amiga, Lynx etc i've no personal bias to any format, not a fan of reviews having scores period, but DO strongly believe anyone unfamilar with UK Press should be given as many examples as possible, rather than myself just making a sweeping statement with nothing to back my claims up.

:)

#3 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Pear Member

• 2,461 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:41 AM

I'd also like to make reference here to ST Formats Lynx review,where game got a mere 27% at review, they hated the sluggish controls.

So when I was trolled on RVG and told only 1 UK magazine hated it, I think the troll doth protest too much...

Espically given how the most scathing UK mag review came from the Atari Press....;-)

#4 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Pear Member

• 2,461 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:38 PM

Also to add balance, woth pointing out UK magazine, The One, wasn't that impressed by the Coin-Op, saying youu had to learn to drive before you could start to play and whilst the game felt real, the gameplay itself was ultimately unremarkable. Basically the very innovation featured on the coin-op, proved to be it's very weakness.

#5 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 177 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:57 PM

I very much remember playing this in the arcade back in the day exactly feeling the same way you've just described and wouldn't mind but cost like 4 times more than the standard arcade games , fair enough it was the sit down version, but in hid sight being a driver now it's laughable that Atari thought this even remotely simulated actual driving considering you can do a 360 loop in the game lol. And with the knowledge of the arcade original being a colaberation between American division and my home country of Ireland's Atari division, you learn something every day ;)

I also remember the ports from Programming genius Jürgen Friedrich a one man army of coding acumen and design, I feel Domark done a great port if it wasn't for the low frame rate, ST being the faster of the two :) but it was far from brilliant, but it is what it is.
  • Lost Dragon likes this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#6 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Pear Member

• 2,461 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:01 AM

Very true my friend, there were some fantastic Home Conversions of Hard Drivin (Genesis version also worthy of a mention) and some awful onces..C64 version, but there the hardware simply was not suited at all, so i'd rather they never even tried.

Plus a few clones..4D Sports Driving AKA STUNTS in USA...

And would you believe ST/Amiga 2D Bike racing game, RVF, started out as a Hard Drivin style  Rally driving game (solid 3D, 1st person view), before being canned and started from scratch.

Realism in games is fine, but for myself it only really works when there's an element of fun applied.

I found Stunt Car racer did the whole 3D drive on stunt tracks far, far better.

• Greyfox likes this

#7 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Pear Member

• 2,461 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:22 PM

Thinking back, didn't the ST/Amiga versions also suffer from same crippling flaw Lynx version had? that bloody oversteer...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users