Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

CV Pac Man Prototype

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,995 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:42 PM

I was testing my upgraded CV ball-knob joystick, when I realized there was no Pac Man for the Colecovision.  A quick internet search turned up a prototype by Atarisoft.  So I loaded the ROM onto my flash cart.  I was expecting a game that was incomplete.  What I found just about knocked my socks off,

This version of Pac Man is AWESOME.  Check out the quick-play video below (not mine).  The graphics are really good.  Best looking home version of the Pac Man character I've ever seen.  And check out the details on the ghosts.  Look at what happens when you eat a ghost....the eyes travel back to the lair, and the ghost kind of "beams" back into existence.  Beyond cool.

What the video does not show is that the intermissions are there...and once you get to level 3, the game starts FLYING.  If you think the 7800 version of Ms. Pac Man is fast, this one blows that one away speed-wise.  Again...WOW.

As far as the term "prototype" goes....I think this one was pretty much complete.  It's the most impressive game I've seen in a long time.  I absolutely love it.

Here is the download for those who want to try it:

http://cvaddict.com/....php?gameid=162

For those who know the system better than me...what other games should I try that I may have missed?

• Justin, The Professor, Atari Adventure Square and 1 other like this

#2 Atari Adventure Square

Atari Adventure Square

Orange Member

• 267 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:45 AM

Sweet!

That's one thing that's great about console ports of classics (or any title, really) of the era - each port had its own distinct look and flavor of gaming (controller action, sfx, color palette at times).

As much as some may scoff at the original 2600 Pac-Man, its quickly-produced results was distinctly of its core programming possibilities.

Of course, as an atarian, I was proud as an NBC peacock when Ms Pac-Man redeemed the console with its more researched results.into pac-power on the VCS.

And homebrews reclaimed the similitudes of its arcade elder to an utmost level.

But it was fun scouring the EG mags and such and seeing the playfield (even if it was always a repro image) of known titles like Missile Command, Donkey Kong and such, for different consoles and computers.

This Colecovision Pacster feels right, indeed.

• RickR and Lost Dragon like this

#3 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,207 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:48 AM

That is a good one - I've played it before on my VColeco emulator.

• RickR likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#4 fergojisan

fergojisan

Orange Member

• 218 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:46 AM

Gorf is terrific on the CV.

• Chris++ likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users