Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Making of EXO-The PS2 Halo-Beater that never was.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:30 PM

http://www.pushsquar...-fi_shooter_exo

Thought folks might enjoy a read of :-)

• RickR and Rowsdower70 like this

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,277 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:33 PM

Fascinating. 

If the comparison is to Halo, I wonder if that indicates that XBOX was more advanced hardware than the PS2?

• Lost Dragon likes this

#3 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:36 PM

I think fact Xbox could handle conversions of Far Cry, Doom 3 and Half Life 2 puts it ahead of PS2 hardware in key areas myself.

Sony seemed to over hype it's power to developers as I remember Hideo Kojima expressing his disappointment it wouldn't allow he and his team to implement numerous features he had planned for MGS 2 on hearing Sony's claims of just how powerful it'd be.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 24 July 2016 - 11:38 PM.

#4 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,277 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:39 PM

Yeah, I guess I never really considered it.  PS2 always had the better games IMO.  But XBOX came out later and had a much faster CPU I think.  Interesting.  I need to do some research.

• Rowsdower70 likes this

#5 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,277 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:46 PM

Interesting info here:  http://www.anandtech.com/show/853

Very different architectures make it hard to compare. 

• Lost Dragon likes this

#6 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,277 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:48 PM

And really nice summary here:  http://www.anandtech.com/show/858/13

• Lost Dragon likes this

#7 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,061 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:22 AM

I got into original Xbox much later in the game, yes PS2 had a larger library and more exclusives but whenever a title was released on both I would opt for the Xbox version as I typically found it had a graphical edge. 

• Justin and RickR like this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#8 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:45 AM

I owned PS2 and played very little Xbox during its original release.   I played more since and would still stick with the PS2.   The Xbox's controllers are some of the worst in the industry, and its a big, clunky, awkward machine.   
PS2 is nice and streamlined, best controllers in the biz, and the library is leaps and bounds above the Xbox.

Having said that, the original XBox is FINALLY gaining a little traction with collectors.   There's some titles worth playing on it for sure.   

I find terms like HALO-beater funny though.     I've heard that type of term most with WoW-killer.   How has that "WoW-killer" thing worked out so far? :)

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#9 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:16 PM

I'm not a 'Tech-Head' but from what i've read/Sony said at the time, the PS2 was supposed to be them listening to developers who'd wanted more flexibility to a degree with the original Playstation and thus could 'code to the metal' as it were rather than working within the confines of set toolsets/libaries supplied by Sony (though as i noted  a few months ago, certain coders did code outside these on PS1)., thus Sony gave them a lot of raw horse power in the form of the PS2 and said use it as and where you see fit...

Where as Xbox was PC hardware in a console box....

I was not initaly that impressed by PS2 coming as i was from the Dreamcast, Jaggies, limited textures due to PS2's split Ram, only Silent Hill 2, GTA 3+VC at the time felt like PS2 games, things i enjoyed like:

Ring Of Red, Extermination, more like PS1.5 titles, so i sold my PS2 went Xbox...

Halo blew me away, ditto Ninja Gaiden, Splinter Cell, Full Spectrum Warrior etc etc, i had Dolby 5.1 set up at the time, so really appreciated that as standard in games.

Regarding the Halo Beater aspect, i never felt FPS worked as well on PS2 as Xbox..

Return To Castle Wolfenstien was weaker on PS2, Mace Griffin just average across both, Killzone was  more of a tech showcase than stand out FPS (though i loved PSP and PS3 Killzones), only game in the genre that really stood out on PS2 was Cold Winter, superb!.

Black i simply loved on Xbox.

And this was often the cae on PS2..Shinobi or Ninja Gaiden?

Wipeout Fusion or Quantum Red Shift?

Syphon Filter Omega or Splinter Cell?

Xbox always seemed to have the better examples of Genres i loved.

Never found anything to match O.T.O.G.I 1+2 on Xbox on PS2 either...

On flipside...Nothing on Xbox came close to:

God Of War 1+2, Shadow Of Rome, PS2 had more Retro Compliations it seemed (2 from Capcom, Sega Ages series etc etc) so yet again, you ended up needing more than 1 console :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users