Atari 2600 Jr. Problems.

Guest Anonymousfurry

Guest Anonymousfurry

I had gotten an Atari 2600 Jr. And when I had purchased it it worked fine. But after a year it just stopped working it wouldn't turn on and I need help trying to repair it. I just got Pitfall II and I'm really eager to play it.

Check that adapter with a voltmeter.  Should read 9V (or more) if you put the two probes -- one on the tip of the connector, and one on the shaft of the connector.  The biggest point of failure on 2600's is the solder on the power connector on the main board.  If you find that the power adapter reads a voltage, try applying some up/down pressure on the power connector when it's plugged in and see if the console turns on. 

Check that adapter with a voltmeter.  Should read 9V (or more) if you put the two probes -- one on the tip of the connector, and one on the shaft of the connector.  The biggest point of failure on 2600's is the solder on the power connector on the main board.  If you find that the power adapter reads a voltage, try applying some up/down pressure on the power connector when it's plugged in and see if the console turns on.

That's excellent advice. I was just thinking the same thing. I'd listen to Rick, he knows what he's talking about ;-)

The biggest point of failure on 2600's is the solder on the power connector on the main board.

Justin - I wonder if this is the reason why the Vader didn't work.............. I know I have 2 working AC adapters but neither would fire up the console......

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Justin - I wonder if this is the reason why the Vader didn't work.............. I know I have 2 working AC adapters but neither would fire up the console......

Try it.  Hook it up, turn it on, and then apply light pressure up/down to the power connector.  If it flickers on, then you know you just need to heat of those two points on the motherboard with a soldering iron. 

The other big failure point is the voltage regulator on the left side of the mb.  It's a little square with three connectors, with a little heat sink on top.  You can test this pretty easily with voltmeter.  If it is getting 9V in, but not getting 5V out, it needs to be replaced.  Look up a video on Youtube.

Archived