Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Crystal Pepsi

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Crystal Pepsi (10 member(s) have cast votes)

What Does Crystal Pepsi Taste Like To You?

1. Like a Cola (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Like a Sprite or 7-Up (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. Like a Mystery wrapped in an Enigma surrounded by a Puzzle (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Zontar

Zontar

Thing From Venus

• 98 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:08 AM

Seems like Crystal Pepsi has made a resurgence lately. Lots of people talking about it. For some reason the idea of clear Pepsi seemed really magical at the time, even though it was basically just 7-Up or Sprite. I wonder how many actually drank it at the time? It only lasted from 1992-1993 but the commercial was memorable even today:

• The Professor, RickR, Arenafoot and 3 others like this

#2 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,169 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:20 AM

I did! And loved it! I still have a glass bottle leftover of Crystal Pepsi from 93 in my soft drink bottle collection.

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#3 Zontar

Zontar

Thing From Venus

• 98 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:33 AM

The commercial for the new Crystal Pepsi is really really good. It's called "The 92nd Floor". It starts off with a janitor at Pepsi who is cleaning the elevator and finds a button to a secret 92nd floor. ("92" for 1992 when Crystal Pepsi is from) The elevator turns in to a sort of time machine that takes him to this hidden floor where it's still 1992. Even the video goes back to standard definition and the commercial looks like it was recorded from TV on VHS. Here it is:

• The Professor, RickR, Arenafoot and 3 others like this

#4 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,169 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:38 AM

but in 1992-1993 this didn't make any sense................3616736618_0f84ae2e06_b.jpg

Cans?!?!?!? is it clear? or not??

Edited by Arenafoot, 08 January 2016 - 01:38 AM.

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#5 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:20 AM

I remember when it came out.   Now for full disclosure, I'm not a fan of Pepsi at all....but crystal Pepsi took it to a new level of Eeeewwwwwww.     

Still, it was better than "New" Coke.

THIS was my jam:
116.jpg

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#6 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,610 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:21 AM

Nice commercial!

I drank it back in the Ferg, but have no recollection what it tastes like.

I other news, I both enjoyed and miss 7-Up Gold.

• The Professor, RickR and Rowsdower70 like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#7 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,113 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:22 AM

I tried it & as I recall, I didn't mind it. It was better than the blue Pepsi that came out in the early 2000's.
  • Rowsdower70 likes this

#8 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,113 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:32 AM

Anyone else remember this?

pcslice53a.jpg

• Arenafoot, nosweargamer, Rowsdower70 and 1 other like this

#9 AlamoAtari

AlamoAtari

Apple Member

• 510 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:00 PM

I actually did a blind taste test as part of my school science fair. Hardly anyone can properly tell the difference between regular and crystal. I think that it was a psychological issue that turned people off. I tried to really get to the main difference besides the color. I think that it was the artificial coloring gave a slightly softer taste. They didn't like my prodggect and my teacher gave me a b on it.
  • nosweargamer, Rowsdower70 and StormSurge like this

#10 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:39 PM

Anyone else remember this?

pcslice53a.jpg

Slice had lots of flavors.   As I spent most of my teenage years on some form of diet, I really enjoyed their diet cherry cola!  I think their main flavor was a lemon/lime.

• StormSurge likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#11 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,113 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

Slice had lots of flavors.   As I spent most of my teenage years on some form of diet, I really enjoyed their diet cherry cola!  I think their main flavor was a lemon/lime.

Mandarin Orange was also a favorite of mine.

• Rowsdower70, AlamoAtari and Retrogamer81081 like this

#12 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,169 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:39 AM

Slice had a few flavors..............

Attached Thumbnails

• SilceVarities.jpg

• Atari Creep, nosweargamer, StormSurge and 2 others like this

#13 Retrogamer81081

Retrogamer81081

Apple Member

• 562 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:58 PM

I miss Slice!! That and Minute Maid had the best orange soda. Sunkist has an odd taste and Fanta is too sweet.
  • The Professor and StormSurge like this

#14 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

• 2,169 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:52 AM

the new Crystal Pepsi (2016).............. i wonder what it tastes like now.........

Attached Thumbnails

• crystal pepsi lead.jpg

Edited by Arenafoot, 14 January 2016 - 03:52 AM.

• Justin, Atari Creep, StormSurge and 1 other like this

#15 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,610 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:08 PM

Yup! saw some 20 oz bottles on Friday in Walmart. Mind you, not in the soda aisle, but on a smallish side display at the end of a different aisle.  Sadly, I have yet to find Ecto Cooler in store.

Edited by nosweargamer, 07 August 2016 - 12:14 PM.

• Justin, The Professor, greenween and 7 others like this

#16 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:13 PM

Great timing! Crystal Pepsi has always reminded me of the summer olympics  :)

• greenween and nosweargamer like this

#17 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:16 PM

I really don't have fond memories other than the initial "wow" factor, but I'm not a Pepsi fan in general.  I will have to re-visit it though just to see. :)

(Also wasn't an ecto-cooler guy, do I lose nerd cred?)

• RickR, Clint Thompson and nosweargamer like this

#18 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,720 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:26 PM

I really don't have fond memories other than the initial "wow" factor, but I'm not a Pepsi fan in general.  I will have to re-visit it though just to see. :)

Nope.  I never had them either...they just seemed too artificial to me.  But I'd try them now.

I also seem to remember that crazy colors seemed to be a fad in the 90's.  Example:  Purple or green ketchup.  :P

• nosweargamer and Rowsdower70 like this

#19 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,610 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:28 PM

Not at all. I used to really like Ecto Cooler as a kid.....until my parents bought way too much and it got packed with soo many lunches I got sick of it. I'd be real interested to try it again to see if I'd like it now.

• Rowsdower70 likes this

#20 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,610 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:30 PM

btw, my wife tried Crsytal Pepsi tonight too and thought it tasted like Sprite!

I think the clear color can influence the taste a bit. It clearly had a cola taste to me (get it? clearly), but she was certain that it was citrus like.

• The Professor, RickR, Rowsdower70 and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users