Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

The Atari Creep

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#21 Retrogamer81081

Retrogamer81081

Apple Member

• 562 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:12 PM

It's not the greatest game nor yet a bad game. It was decent in my opinion. You have to give it a good playthrough instead of listening and all the words put in your mouth from all the words of mouth saying it sucks, one of the worst games, and one of the games responsible for the crash. It is playable and has a great charm about it. My grade is a respectable C for it.
  • Lost Dragon and MalakZero like this

#22 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:07 PM

Ironically, being a UK child who's folks had bought him a VCS for Xmas and well, it seemed all your mates had one as well B-), because my mum bought me Ms Pac-Man,which we loved, I had no desire to try Pac-Man on the VCS as i'd played clones on the ZX81 and thus was oblivious to how disappointing the original was on the Atari console until years later.

Until I learnt of the full story, it was hard to grasp how they'd messed it up so badly.

Great video covering it, really enjoyed it.
  • MalakZero likes this

#23 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,781 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:22 PM

And a bit more from me....I just want to state that no matter what I say about Pac Man on 2600, I hope to goodness no one feels offended in any way.  For example, AtariBrian loves the game, and I totally respect that.  It's a fun topic to talk about, but it's just a game.  Like all pieces of art, opinions may vary and it's totally acceptable. 

• AtariBrian, Retrogamer81081, Lost Dragon and 2 others like this

#24 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,781 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:37 PM

Here is the June 1982 review of Pac Man from Electronic Games magazine.  I like to pull this out for those that think a bad opinion of the game only came much later. 

Attached Files

• Arenafoot, AtariBrian, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

#25 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:40 PM

@RickR:I don't think anyone would take offence by any of your posts my friend.

You word them superbly.

At the end of the day, we are all adults on this site, crazy about games, Atari, you name it and we know the 2600 could of pulled off a far better conversion and we know why it ended up with the conversion it did, but it's still fantastic to see a very adult discussion on the subject matter, spring to life from Atari Creep's video.

Your spot on when you mention games like this damaging Atari's reputation, it really is that simple, they did and they continued to do so right up until the Jaguar.

If you rush out shoddy product, your going to get noticed, but for all the wrong reasons.

The irony with Pac-Man for starters is here in UK, Atari made a lot of advertising 'fuss' in magazines (think scans went to Clint) about how consumers shouldn't buy the inferior, knock off clones of Pac-Man, instead purchase the official versions from them, as that's where the quality, in terms of 8 bit micro versions lay.

• RickR, Retrogamer81081 and MalakZero like this

#26 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:17 PM

Yesterday, what i think is now the last of my Gamestm collection, went out for recycling.

These magazines joined the RetroGamer/Zero/Ace/Mean Machines/C.U/Off.PS2/PS3/Xbox and 360 magazines and many, many before them, been getting rid of magazines, week in, week out ever since i moved.

My point here is, looking back through them that 1 last time, my god did i ever loose count of just how many review scores i personally strongly disagreed with and in terms of the lower scoring games, by god am i glad i decided to 'ignore the score' and give the game a chance myself.

Alpha Protocol, The Saboteur just had hours of fun on those 2 alone this generation, Call Of Cth.and Scarface on Xbox a generation before was errie as hell, yet i bought/played several high profile/high scoring games that Press and many, many others love, yet did nothing for me:Dead Rising, Red Dead Redemp., GTA5 etc.

Hell years ago i loved the FPS Command And Conquer game, but i'd gone into it with NO expecations of hype, only paid £3 for it new and just had a huge sh*t eating grin on my face entire time i was playing.

Games should be played, discussed, shared, talked about, past onto others, revisted, fixed if needed.....

There simply is no right or wrong viewpoint, if you make them, write about them, sell them, collect them, what ever your viewpoint is no better or worse than person next to you, it's just fantastic to hear the views of others on them.

• RickR and MalakZero like this

#27 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:42 PM

The other thing I've found over the years, is sometimes having found you A)Have lost the love you once had for a game you poured hours into, back in the day...

I once thought the Bitmap Bros could do no wrong, well Magic Pockets aside, but grew tired of Speedball 2 when trying it on the Megadrive via emulation and ditto Xenon 2 which pretty visuals aside, I know find to get a pretty dire shooter, yet I poured hours into both on the ST, now I have no time for either..

And B)Sometimes you find yourself loving weaker versions more than the supposed recommended versions...

I regularly fire up Gods on the Megadrive as it looks better than ST/Amiga versions, runs faster, but title music isn't patch on ST or amiga versions, plus I prefer joypad controls.

I think as I've aged, I find myself settling with the games I enjoy via means best suited to me, emulation on retro compilation or digital downloading also realising sadly I never will recapture the feeling I once had for likes of Wonder Boy:Dragons Trap etc as the games just no longer suit the 43 year old me.

I've had to face fact my tastes have changed, reactions etc are slower and I'd give very different thoughts on games now, than I would of 25 years+ ago.

I think I'm one of the very few who love 2600 Defender, yet could never take to Jeff Minter's Defender 2 on ST let alone Jaguar Defender 2000 yet I'd love to see Jeff update Llammatron for PS4, yet I know his fondness for the blizzare and fury would get today's reviews going WTF is this sh#t?

It's become something of the norm for UK press to single out 2600 titles like E.T and Pac-Man, easy inclusion in a digital disaster type feature, without going into much depth, if any, to explain what went wrong and no attempt made to point there are fans of these out there and explain why...
  • RickR and MalakZero like this

#28 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 999 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:32 AM

I personally don't think the 2600 Pac-Man is a total loss...it's just not Pac-Man to me.  At least back then it wasn't but now I can accept it as the 2600's Pac-Man.  As I've mentioned on my blog on this site I had the 5200 so I missed out on what was going on with the 2600.  This was one game I didn't miss, however, because a neighbor down the road got it and invited me over to play it.  I already had the 5200 Pac-Man and was use to it before I laid eyes on the 2600 Pac-Man.  I have to admit I was disappointed and confused with what the 2600 received.  I guess in the back of my mind I was thinking, "If Atari could pull off Pac-Man on the 5200 why couldn't they do something better than this?"

Over 30 years later and this game is still being talked about as well as getting play time.  SO that means that Atari's Pac-Man on the 2600 is not all that bad.  Maybe they should have called it K.C. Munchkin!

• Lost Dragon and MalakZero like this

#29 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:23 AM

Just forwarded over to Clint, all the UK Promo/advertising etc stuff Atari UK were putting out regarding the 2600 version (lot of images), wowza is all i can say, so much went into the promotion and hype building of this version, i was simply never aware of (far too young at the time).

Hope to see the images shared on here, so all can enjoy.

#30 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

Pretzel Member

• 469 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:15 PM

Hey guys. Here is my latest video. I talk about competing companies in the home console business creating products for each other using the Coleco Expansion Module as a focus. This topic fascinates me more than any other topic when it comes to gaming in the early 1980's. Hope you enjoy!!!!    

A quick chat about the Coleco Expansion Module 1

• Justin, The Professor, MaximumRD and 4 others like this

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

#31 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,781 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:49 PM

Coleco Gemini outdid Atari. Smaller size and much better RF quality. It must have completely enraged Atari management to have their hardware stolen like that.
  • Atari Creep, Lost Dragon and MalakZero like this

#32 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

Pretzel Member

• 469 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:07 PM

I didn't know that it had a better RF quality. That's interesting.

#33 fergojisan

fergojisan

Orange Member

• 216 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:31 PM

I didn't know that either, dammit. Now I want one. :P

#34 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

Pretzel Member

• 469 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 02:44 PM

:mac_alert:  ***Strong Language***

It's been an amazing week for The Creep. Check it out if you will.

• Justin, The Professor, Yo-Yo and 1 other like this

#35 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

Pretzel Member

• 469 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:43 PM

***Strong Language***

The latest Creep video is not up and ready for your viewing pleasure!!! 7 min of blaa blaa blaa and then what I have picked up this past month.

Thanks as always for watching!!!

Edited by Atari Creep, 25 August 2016 - 01:44 PM.

#36 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

Pretzel Member

• 469 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:38 AM

***Strong Language***

What could have been Atari's saving grace turned out to be a train wreck and at the end of the day, saved the video game industry!!!! Fascinating stuff. Thanks as always for watching and for all your support!

#37 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:04 AM

Thanks for doing these, they are fantastic.

I'm very selective with my viewing so trust me,i'm sincere when I say this.
  • Justin likes this

#38 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

Pretzel Member

• 469 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:08 PM

****STRONG LANGUAGE & Fat guy nipples**** 

This is more of a goof than anything!!!! It is frustrating but whatever I guess. Just please, do not fall in love with my nipples,,,ok?

• Justin and Lost Dragon like this

#39 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

Pretzel Member

• 469 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:39 AM

I plan to do a video on my original collection. The systems I had when they were still new and what few games I had for them. Would you rather it be one LONG video or multiple videos focusing on each system with my list, short description and thoughts on each game?

Please let me know! Thanks.
  • Justin, The Professor and Lost Dragon like this

#40 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:36 PM

I enjoy watching long videos, but I'm going to recommend you break them up into short videos. Here's why:

• People are more likely to watch your videos all the way through if they are presented in bite-sized morsels
  • 3mins - 7mins is the sweet spot. 15mins can work if you can keep their attention. People tend to drop off after that
  • More videos = different titles = more ways for people to find you in search and share your content
  • More videos = different titles = people are more inclined to watch and share your videos because you're discussing the specific game/topic they're searching for. They don't have to sit through 20 mins of unrelated material to get to what they want.

I've been doing this stuff (running the site, social media, YouTube) long enough to gain a thorough knowledge of how it all works. There are definite trends and psychology behind people's behavior. It's predictable, and all pretty basic. What they'll watch and click on and what they won't.

More importantly: none of that matters. Do what you enjoy and make the videos that you love to make  :emoji-E420:

• The Professor and StormSurge like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users