What project is Rick doing?

RickR

Awesome keep up posted on how well it works. Ive been interested in doing this myself

It works perfectly.  Another controller saved from the dump.  I've done this one many times, and it usually does work unless the flex circuit is cracked. 

One time, long before the internet and Google were even thought of, I tried using #2 pencil lead.  I literally took those number two pencils, the ones I'm sure we all used to take those tests where you circled only one answer in school, and completely covered the contact dot on every button with pencil lead.  It worked...for a while.  I tried the foil trick, too, but without a hole punch decades ago.  I used used scotch tape to hold it in place and with an X-acto knife cut a hole out of the tape before applying.  I only did it on buttons I was having issues with, though.  I never did all of the buttons.

Very nice save and work, RickR!  Another 5200 controller saved for enjoyment.  I only wish I could find new 5200 controller POTs, new old stock or something.  I need to replace mine.

One time, long before the internet and Google were even thought of, I tried using #2 pencil lead.  I literally took those number two pencils, the ones I'm sure we all used to take those tests where you circled only one answer in school, and completely covered the contact dot on every button with pencil lead.  It worked...for a while.  I tried the foil trick, too, but without a hole punch decades ago.  I used used scotch tape to hold it in place and with an X-acto knife cut a hole out of the tape before applying.  I only did it on buttons I was having issues with, though.  I never did all of the buttons.

Very nice save and work, RickR!  Another 5200 controller saved for enjoyment.  I only wish I could find new 5200 controller POTs, new old stock or something.  I need to replace mine.

have you tried opening up the pots to clean them ?

I don't have any extra ones myself but opened them to clean before

Yes I have. The pots on mine have deep grooves.

hmmmmmm I wonder if the circular resistive track could be swapped with say the pot of a standard paddle controller ... I know the other parts are different so I kind of doubt it, actually I might see if that works with one of mine ... but not right away :P

hmmmmmm I wonder if the circular resistive track could be swapped with say the pot of a standard paddle controller ... I know the other parts are different so I kind of doubt it, actually I might see if that works with one of mine ... but not right away :P

I happen to have a joystick that has had one of the pots replaced with a 2600 paddle pot...and it works perfectly.  In any case, it's probably cheaper just to get another joystick.  I've found in most cases that the buttons wear out before the pots ever do, and once they get set aside, the pots remain in great condition. 

I happen to have a joystick that has had one of the pots replaced with a 2600 paddle pot...and it works perfectly.  In any case, it's probably cheaper just to get another joystick.  I've found in most cases that the buttons wear out before the pots ever do, and once they get set aside, the pots remain in great condition. 

isn't the shaft different? ....instead of a "D" shaft it's a spline ?

Archived