SoCal Retro Gaming Expo Summer Edition - 8/20-21

Sabertooth

The SoCal Retro Gaming Expo: Summer Edition is happening next weekend in City of Industry.

It will feature games, tournaments, speakers, vendors and live performances. Notable guest speakers include YouTube celebrities like Pat the NES Punk and Gamester81, and Keith Robinson from Intellivision Lives.

The details are here: http://www.socalretrogamingexpo.com

I haven't been to their earlier events but I'm planning on driving up to check it out.

So I'm here today and its really packed and hot. Most of the prices are in eBay buy it now territory. I did manage to grab an import version of Vampire Hunter on Saturn for a reasonable price and an "untested" Wico controller for $1.

There was a really interesting guy named Lee with a "Minter" set-up including Tempest 2000, Tempest 3000, TK2, and Space Giraffe. He had a NUON rotary controller that was pretty cool.

I also spoke to Keith Robinson from Intellivision. He gave me a running man button and an interview from TV Guide 1982. If we ever do a trade, Rows, running man is yours.

There isn't alot of preNES stuff going on. A few beat Vectrex's for way too much, a couple beat Atari's and a handful of O2s.

I'm staying for a couple of panels and a set by the SNES themed metal band Super MadNES. Talked to the guitarist for a few minutes about Judas Priest and he seemed cool.

So I'm here today and its really packed and hot. Most of the prices are in eBay buy it now territory. I did manage to grab an import version of Vampire Hunter on Saturn for a reasonable price and an "untested" Wico controller for $1.

There was a really interesting guy named Lee with a "Minter" set-up including Tempest 2000, Tempest 3000, TK2, and Space Giraffe. He had a NUON rotary controller that was pretty cool.

I also spoke to Keith Robinson from Intellivision. He gave me a running man button and an interview from TV Guide 1982. If we ever do a trade, Rows, running man is yours.

There isn't alot of preNES stuff going on. A few beat Vectrex's for way too much, a couple beat Atari's and a handful of O2s.

I'm staying for a couple of panels and a set by the SNES themed metal band Super MadNES. Talked to the guitarist for a few minutes about Judas Priest and he seemed cool.

I must have missed you!  Too hot man... The NUON was pretty cool, talked to Keith - I did get a button lol. 

No Atari love there, sad to say and everything I did see was way overpriced. Talked to Pat for quite a bit, he gave The Jag Bar some good press when the Coleco Chameleon thing went down.

Host of The Jag Bar • Lynx Lounge  7800 Avenue

:youtube: Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhPvmALbHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

Wish I would have seen you BTB! I left shortly after posting when I decided that I didn't want to be in the heat any longer.

I know that this is a relatively new event but having been to PRGE, it sure has a lot of room for improvement. A larger venue with ample parking would be a good start. They've clearly outgrown this space. Climate control would be even better. That said, kudos to the organizers for trying to bring something down here. There is no reason that the LA market couldn't sustain a really cool retro gaming event.

Here's my haul for the day:

post-65-0-40891300-1471729059_thumb.jpeg

Archived