Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

NEW AVP prototype found!

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 btbfilms76

btbfilms76

Orange Member

• 275 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:53 PM

What do we think gang?  Is this the real thing?  

http://retrogamingma...for-atari-lynx/

Im guessing he's never played a Lynx due to his snotty attitude and lazy video game journalism, but this is a new find regarding AVP on the Lynx. 

Sound off Marine. 

• Justin, The Professor, DeLorean and 3 others like this
Host of The Jag Bar | Lynx Lounge | 7800 Avenue
Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube....bHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,624 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:16 PM

No idea if this is real or not, but that game on Lynx would have been really sweet. 

• Justin and Lost Dragon like this

#3 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:01 AM

Here are some pictures:

Attached Thumbnails

• I01.JPG
  • I02.JPG
  • I03.JPG
  • I04.JPG
  • I05.JPG
  • M01.JPG
  • M02.JPG
  • alien_vs_predator_atari_lynx_FPS_shooter-4.jpg
  • alien_vs_predator_atari_lynx_FPS_shooter-3.jpg
  • alien_vs_predator_atari_lynx_FPS_shooter-2.jpg

• DeLorean, Yo-Yo and Clint Thompson like this

#4 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:02 AM

2/3:

Attached Thumbnails

• A03.JPG
  • A02.JPG
  • A01.JPG
  • P05.JPG
  • P04.JPG
  • P03.JPG
  • P02.JPG
  • P01.JPG
  • M04.JPG
  • M03.JPG

#5 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:03 AM

3/3:

Attached Thumbnails

• GAME_OVER_MAN_AGAIN.JPG
  • GAME_OVER_MAN.JPG
  • GAME_OVER.JPG
  • A0D.JPG
  • A0C.JPG
  • A0A.JPG
  • A0B.JPG

#6 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:05 AM

This is commentary I provided a few years ago for Atari Lynx Alien vs. Predator. This is based on the previously discovered prototype:

• DeLorean, RickR, Yo-Yo and 1 other like this

#7 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:10 AM

Beware!!!! Incoming Rant :)

• Justin and Greyfox like this

#8 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:26 AM

Ok then, speaking as a massive AVP fan and Ex-lynx owner..

Whilst it is indeed fantastic to see newer Lynx prototypes covered,if this is indeed just that, at a time when no-one from mainstream press seems that bothered with new finds of lost games...

If your going to cover it, for love of god, find someone capable if doing a balanced article.

I'm sure the grammar and punctuation were water tight so that's a box ticked, but there's far more to covering a story than that.

He clearly has little understanding of the Lynx and Jaguar history, nor state Atari was in at that point etc

Looking down your nose at a format you have so little knowledge of is as bad as making things up/selectively quoting to put a spin on history to make out an Atari system was legendary..

Both are poor attempts at writing.

Here he just plucks a few Lynx titles out of thin air,throws in a dash of speculation etc.

So Mr Journo, why not mention Sega having all the Sonic games on Game Gear, along with big names like Shinobi, Jungle Strike, Streets Of Rage etc did nothing to put the Game Gear sales anywhere near that of the Nintendo GB which had the handheld market sown up.

Did the superb Alien 3 do anything to reverse it's situation then?

Simple fact is, even if Lynx had recieved likes of AVP,Cabal,Vindicators,720,Metal Mutant,etc etc..Nothing much would if changed except existing owners would if had an even better selection of games to choose from...

A lynx-Jaguar bundle, AVP on both included,Lynx used as motion tracker etc would of been amazing,pricey but amazing, but it wouldn't have reversed things for either platform.

Far too many factors at play to lay blame at feet of just 1.
  • RickR likes this

#9 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,030 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:27 AM

Funny thing is, he proclaims himself a fair journalist and says "It is time gaming journalism takes its rightful place as proper sources and not fanboys giving free advertising." I acknowledge the Lynx was mishandled and didn't ship as many units as Game Boy. If you disagree or take issue with his article, or demand that reporting be honest and accurate instead of sensationalized clickbait does that make you a "fanboy"?

image.png
  • DeLorean, RickR and Lost Dragon like this

#10 fergojisan

fergojisan

Orange Member

• 214 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:41 PM

I am super confused here.

For a start, this article (and accompanying Atari Age post that it was sourced from), is from March 2015, so not new.

Am I reading a different article? I am not getting from it what you guys are.

Carl is one of the guys who tried to post honestly about the RGVS/Coleco Chameleon debacles, that's probably what that graphic up there stems from. He got ripped by Mike Kennedy for his troubles

I'm not trying to stir the pot, I am genuinely perplexed by this What am I missing?

#11 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,624 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:03 PM

For a start, this article (and accompanying Atari Age post that it was sourced from), is from March 2015, so not new.

Am I reading a different article? I am not getting from it what you guys are.

Carl is one of the guys who tried to post honestly about the RGVS/Coleco Chameleon debacles, that's probably what that graphic up there stems from. He got ripped by Mike Kennedy for his troubles

I'm not trying to stir the pot, I am genuinely perplexed by this What am I missing?

I see what you are saying and kind of agree.  I thought it was really neat to know that a new prototype was found, and am interested to know a lot more about it.  I think, though, that we all kind of wish that the author of this article had given us a lot more detail on what was found.  I'm not sure it's fair to pile on the guy.  My guess is that he was given very limited detail, no access to the prototype or owner, and very limited time.  Of course, I'm only guessing.  Again, more detail all the way around would have been nice. 

Lost Dragon mentioned a Lynx/Jaguar co-release using the Lynx as a motion tracker!  WOAH!  I'd never heard this before, and my mind is blown.  I think that would have been one of the coolest things ever!  With proper marketing, and if the game was good, that would have been a game changer IMO. 

• Lost Dragon likes this

#12 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,030 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

My issue isn't AVP, it's a fantastic looking game. My issue with the article is the claim that Lynx "was a horrible failure for the company". It wasn't the incredible success Game Boy was but I think it's pretty dramatic to say it was a "horrible failure".

AVP would have been an incredible release. Much respect to the creators of the game and those who unearthed new prototypes :thumb:
  • DeLorean, RickR and Lost Dragon like this

#13 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,624 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:58 PM

My issue isn't AVP, it's a fantastic looking game. My issue with the article is the claim that Lynx "was a horrible failure for the company". It wasn't the incredible success Game Boy was but I think it's pretty dramatic to say it was a "horrible failure".

AVP would have been an incredible release. Much respect to the creators of the game and those who unearthed new prototypes :thumb:

Yeah, that "horrible failure" part is sloppy and got a nice big eye roll. 

• The Professor, DeLorean, nosweargamer and 1 other like this

#14 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,030 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:01 PM

Yeah, that "horrible failure" part is sloppy and got a nice big eye roll.

That really was my only point. And the insinuation that a nice big eye roll would make you a fanboy ticked me off in the context of the AVP Lynx article.

I'm sure everybody here was in favor of honest reporting of the Chameleon/Mike Kennedy debacle and would appreciate what that meant :thumb:
  • DeLorean, RickR, fergojisan and 2 others like this

#15 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,030 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:10 PM

I guess that's all relative. I would say they're "new" compared to the version we've had for 15 years. It hasn't been discussed here yet and it's a pretty cool find so a post was made about it.
  • DeLorean, fergojisan and Yo-Yo like this

#16 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:20 PM

Yeah i'll be happy to clarify my concerns with the article:

Regardless of any previous good or bad work the writer has done, it's like anything, it should be 'judged' on it's merits as a stand alone piece.

I'd personally rather he'd used the article to discuss the merits of the AVP game as..just that an AVP Game..that COULD of been and compared it to the AVP games we DID recieve on home formats, ie the appalling GB and SNES AVP Games, as i've always felt they, along with titles like Aliens:CM, AVP on PSP, AVP on PS3,360 and Aliens US on C64, along with Predator:Concrete Jungle, were wasted opps, for the films/Dark Horse comic books etc they were based on.

Lynx AVP looked to be doing wonders with both the hardware and pushing the concept of what to do with an AVP game, rather than go the 'easy' route by doing another 2D side scroller, a FPS on Lynx was so out there.

Instead the article came across as a poor attempt to explain why BOTH the Lynx and Jaguar failed, which as i said earlier, you cannot simply pluck 1 of so many reasons out and say Ta-Da.....

The lack of mentioning how having games like Alien 3 on the Game gear, along with Batman Returns and big name combat games like Jungle strike, did nothing to help the Game gear close the gap on the run away monster, sales and developer support wise, that was the GB was another key oversight.

Having spoken to several UK Lynx developers myself as to why they failed to produce more than 1 title on Lynx, you get same answer as you did when you asked about limited Jaguar game sales...

They BOMBED at retail and thus platform was not commercially viable, but that was never the message i took from the article.

• RickR likes this

#17 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:07 PM

Also, he starts by talking of other failed consoles what if..situation, ie if only Game X had been released, things might have been different, but these are based on pure fantasy..ok, you've made a statement, what formats? Atari 7800, if that had only had Skyfox/Electrocop/Paperboy/Toki?..i dunno, you the writer out the suggestion, but gave not a single example....

He then goes straight into pure speculation mode, implying that if Atari had, what was the phrase? taken it's head out of the sand? and finished AVP, released it, Lynx fortunes would of been much better..based on what evidence? article gives none...

He might as well gone the whole hog, listed AVP, Vindicators, Cabal, 720, Rolling Thunder etc as those were pretty much THE key big name titles annouced/shown what ever we never saw.......

So IF Killer software was all that was needed to make the Lynx anything but the 'Horrible Failure' For atari he says it was, rather than dissapointment compared to what Atari had hoped for....

Please explain the sega Game Gear...

That had software like GG Shinobi, Sonic, SOR, Road Rash, Prince Of Persia, Super Monaco GP, Lemmings, Wonderboy:Dragons Trap, Alien III, Alien Syndrome, Wonderboy, Predator II , The Terminator (better than MD version), Jungle strike etc of it's own, plus via the MS convertor which gave it a massive back cataloug on top of the GG specific one.

It had support from Virgin, Core Design, Sega, Domark etc etc the Lynx could only dream of...

Batman Games? Adventures Of Batman And Robin, Batman Forever+Batman Returns...

Remind me of the impact they had (and i ask as an ex-GG owner)

Lynx have Earth Worm Jim/Fifa/Gunstar Heroes/Lion King/Madden'95/96/Marble Madness/MK/MKII/MKIII/any NBA games? A Star wars game? Terminator? Kick Off game? X-Men? Urban strike?

If the games maketh the system and why all you need do was remove head from sand, get publisher support like Sega had for GG, it's all gravy then? no.....?

And it took 5 secs to find Darryl Still talking about Lynx Batman Returns:

http://www.google.co...k-TPje7evwE2uVw

Gauntlet? was Gauntlet in NAME ONLY, never a true Gauntlet title, being Epyx Traps And treasure chests, Atari just slapped the brand on it.

Blue Lightning was THE launch showcase game here in UK, Press went ga-ga for it and it blew industryt away, so the impact of a wet paper sack comment was just poor, really poor.

I just don't get why Lynx is constantly singled out for failure based on lost games...

I never see anything like the same number of articles explaining how badly the Amstrad GX4000 did or the N64 DD/Bulky Drive/Virtual Boy...Sega Mega CD and 32X do get fair amount of press, ditto Saturn, but how about Sony and PSP then? PSP Oblivion anyone?

Gizomono?

Never hear much about GBC happily being pushed into early retirement to make way for GBA...

Or lack of Back Lit 1st model GBA

Or that horrendous  circle pad add-on for 3DS.....

#18 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:16 PM

It goes without saying that Alien vs. Predator could have been one of the best looking games on the Lynx. Definitely one of the biggest "what ifs" and a real loss that AVP never saw an official release. Huge thanks to everyone who brought this to light.

• Lost Dragon likes this

#19 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:17 PM

http://www.atari.io/...i/atari-jaguar/

http://www.atarimuse.../lynx/lynx.html

Talk of Lynx being used as Motion Tracker/Tricorder etc etc.

Final bit regarding that article...

Anyone who had basic understanding of Atari's history up until Jaguar Launch, would of been aware of how things like the STE, Falcon etc had been handled and recieved at retail, Atari's cash-strapped situation, Panther being canned and Falcon games put on hold etc..

Basically known Jaguar was THE last chance for atari, who lacked resources to fight a war on multiple fronts and thus Falcon/Lynx projects simply dropped so all efforts could go on Jaguar.

Points been raised in countless interviews over the years and articles, aren't jurnolists required to do basic reading before commissioning an article?

Genuine question, nothing personal again'st writer, it just doesn't seem to be a requirement these days for modern work.

#20 fergojisan

fergojisan

Orange Member

• 214 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:25 PM

All points taken, thank you for clarifying. I really only know the basic history of the Lynx, so thank you for the info. My only firsthand knowledge of it was that when I started at KayBee in September 1991, we had a few Lynx games left (we never got anymore shipments), and I hadn't heard of it until I saw the games there. That of course didn't stop me from buying one later in the 90s, I really loved some of the games for it (I haven't actually played Blue Lightning, my bad) and I wish I hadn't sold it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users