Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Lost A8 Games....

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:51 PM

That's a fantastic reveal, at least you had some software house that really took the video games business seriously enough on all machines they released games on, a rare situation to see this, most are primarily concerned with what money they'll make, although important, it's equally important to make the top notch title that will make that money.

Gunship was a cracking title and loved this on the Atari ST , it was way ahead of its time for the time, but seriously after slogging along with F15 Strike Eagle on the A8 , I don't think Gunship would have pushed it any further , it would have required serious programing to formulate the games engine and execution in a decent frame rate and pixel quality.
  • Lost Dragon likes this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#22 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:59 PM

Yep, i simply couldn't see a 48K A8 tape version 'working' (C64 tape version was crippled as was, think tape was only done to appease UK market)..and thus might of damaged the Microprose brand, far better it ended up on ST where hardware could do it justice.

Nice to see Microprose putting quality 1st on A8.

• Greyfox likes this

#23 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:19 PM

Going to look into a few more A8 titles before i stop...

Edited by Lost Dragon, 28 November 2016 - 08:05 PM.

#24 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:03 PM

Hi-Tec annouced:

Atom Ant and Hong Kong Phooey....

http://www.google.co...df2LmZotHyO6PtQ

Another 2 that failed to appear....

Edited by Lost Dragon, 28 November 2016 - 08:07 PM.

• Greyfox likes this

#25 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:58 PM

And another cleared up :) Likes of myself often mentioned OCEAN ran an advert in likes of ZZap64 etc with games like Daley Thompson's Super Test, Street Hawk etc blazing from the pages and 'banner' running underneath, listing the formats said games were on/would be on and the Atari 800 listed. Those of us with an understanding of how industry worked, rather than jumping on an advert as ahem, proof, this made it a lost game, pretty much knew advert was drawn up months in advance of games appearing... Well, just found original Ocean Press release for D.T.S.Test... The ZX Spectrum and Commodore C64 versions were the 2 lead formats, with conversions to the Amstrad CPC and Atari 800 PLANNED. Given that the game finally made it's way to Amstrad CPC and BBC B home micro's, it's clear i think Ocean decided agains't an A8 version, due perhaps to machines limited user base and went for the BBC Micro instead.

• Greyfox likes this

#26 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 170 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:54 AM

In an Antic podcast from December 2014, Bruce Carso, of B&C ComputerVisions mentioned that he had a Mat Mania prototype in his warehouse (at the 31 minute mark):

http://ataripodcast....computervisions

Edited by Scott Stilphen, 04 February 2017 - 08:07 AM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

#27 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:25 AM

Superb, thanks for letting us know.

1 more added to the list.

#28 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 170 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:22 PM

I emailed Bruce and asked him about it.  He replied:

"Yes I plan to sell them.  The problem is they are 1 meg games and I have not designed a board yet capable of running a 1 meg game. "

• Lost Dragon likes this

#29 Video 61

Video 61

Atari Sales & Service

• Verified Vendor
  • 222 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

i can make them run, if you can pry a couple out of bruce. that is one i never found from all of the stuff i bought out of atari. ask bruce about ninja golf also. i knew about them many years ago.

• Lost Dragon likes this

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

#30 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 170 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:15 PM

I don't know him.  I simply contacted him through his website: http://www.myatari.com/

You should contact him and see if you can work out a deal with releasing them.  You don't need a middle man for that :)

Btw, just to revisit Winter Games, I messed around with the catalog and C-64 screenshots.  By cropping the actual C-64 screenshot the same way the catalog screenshot is, and stretching it to fit the same dimensions, they're nearly-identical.

Attached Thumbnails

• wg.JPG

• Lost Dragon likes this

#31 Video 61

Video 61

Atari Sales & Service

• Verified Vendor
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:55 AM

I don't know him.  I simply contacted him through his website: http://www.myatari.com/

You should contact him and see if you can work out a deal with releasing them.  You don't need a middle man for that :)

Btw, just to revisit Winter Games, I messed around with the catalog and C-64 screenshots.  By cropping the actual C-64 screenshot the same way the catalog screenshot is, and stretching it to fit the same dimensions, they're nearly-identical.

i have known bruce since he started B&C, but he kinda has gone his own way since atari closed down.

• Lost Dragon likes this

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

#32 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 170 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:48 AM

The V1N10 issue of ROM magazine (http://www.ataricomp...es/rom/rom.html) has an article about the 1985 Winter CES show.  Epyx introduced Summer Games II, Two-On-Two Sports, FBI, The Right Stuff, Empire, and Rogue.  Bunch of titles from MicroLab (AKA MIcro Fun) including Caribbean Quest (same as Death in the Caribbean, which was an unreleased 1983 title? http://www.atarimani...ean_5994.html), Microprose's Bank Street Music Writer, several titles from Peachtree Software, and Parker Brothers' Q*bert's Qubes.  

Edited by Scott Stilphen, 16 March 2017 - 09:55 AM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

#33 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

C64 Winter Games screens..just for comparison.

Attached Thumbnails

• zzap700104.jpg
  • zzap700105.jpg

#34 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:08 PM

Another set of advertising screens, plus Epyx talking about different versions...

Attached Thumbnails

• cu2800042.jpg
  • cu2900068.jpg
  • cu2900069.jpg
  • cu2900071.jpg

#35 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:06 PM

Though i've never personally seen the interview itself, it's been claimed that Jeff Minter stated the reason Revenge Of The Mutant Camels never got a conversion from C64 to the Atari 800XL, was the Atari hardware lacked the same number of sprites/PMG needed, present on C64 hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users