Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Clear Mario Bros. Atari 2600 Prototype Game Cartridge

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

Here's a cool bit of gaming history I picked up this week for our growing Atari I/O classic gaming museum...

This is a prototype Mario Bros. game cartridge for Atari 2600. There are a few reasons (obvious) that make this a great addition to the museum:

1. This is not the retail release. The game is playable, but not entirely complete. 

2. It's essentially two prototypes in one. This isn't just a prototype of the game, it's a prototype of the physical cartridge itself. Or rather an engineering sample. Most Atari prototypes were placed in black "Lab Loaner" Atari cartridges. I'm sure we've all seen these at some point. This cartridge is different, because it's half clear.

When Atari redesigned the game cartridges to house both 2600 and 7800 games and removed the dust cover mechanism, they likely shot off a few samples in clear plastic to test the molds. This is one of those clear cartridges. So it's a pre-production engineering sample of a clear cartridge with a prototype game inside of it. This cartridge was originally found among the clear Atari 7800 console shells.

3. It's not just any prototype, it's Mario Bros.! How cool to think that this would be one of the very first game cartridges in the world to bear the "Mario Bros." name and take Mario & Luigi on their first adventure together  :nintendo_mario:

Pretty cool stuff. I've made this image openly available so feel free to use it and share it in any way that you'd like:

Attached Thumbnails

• Atari_2600_Prototype_Mario_Bros_Crystal.jpg

• Zontar, MaximumRD, RickR and 9 others like this

#2 atarilbc

atarilbc

Apple Member

• 548 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:13 PM

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see the other things in the Atari.io museum collection.
  • Justin and Lost Dragon like this

#3 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:28 PM

Thanks atarilbc!  :100:

• atarilbc and Lost Dragon like this

#4 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,360 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:30 PM

If there's a physical Atari.io museum to visit, I'm going.

• Justin, Rowsdower70, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

#5 Ballblaɀer

Ballblaɀer

Defender

• 465 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

I find it cool/interesting that only one of the three visible part numbers shows up in the Jan. '84 Atari Engineering Information System Item Master List, which is chock full of parts and other things that never went to retail.

C010312 - listed ("TOP HOUSING CARTRIDGE")

C017782 - unlisted (PCB Rev 3?)

C025351 - unlisted (?)

Post more collection photos!  :thumb:

• Justin, atarilbc and Lost Dragon like this

#6 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:57 PM

You really need to do a vidya on this sucker.

• Justin and jmjustin6 like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#7 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

King of Kreep

• 542 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:47 PM

That is one of the sexiest thing I have seen in a long time. Ya I don't get out much. Haha
  • Justin likes this

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

#8 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:53 PM

That is one of the sexiest thing I have seen in a long time. Ya I don't get out much. Haha

Haha, that's exactly what I named that section on the 2600 page! "The Absolute Sexiness of Atari Prototypes"  :emoji-E420:

http://www.atari.io/atari/atari-2600/#atari-prototypes

• MaximumRD likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users