Any monitor?

bloring

I hauled off (free to me) a 1979 Atari Asteroids arcade cabinet and guts intact. I know nothing about these games (which will become obvious in a few more words). It powered up, displayed a short beam of light on the burned-in screen a few times, and a hum came over the speaker. After fiddling with connections, I could get nothing more out of it. No other lights, sounds or signs of life. I am wondering if I can test for a bad monitor by bypassing the the stock monitor and connecting an old TV to the game controls and CPU? Or, maybe there are other ways to autopsy the monitor and determine if there are other problems? Thanks for any ideas, as it'd be fun to be able to play!

post-1057-0-16178600-1473626356_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forums!

What a cool find.  I don't think a normal TV will work with Asteroids.  My first suspicion would be the power into the board.  If it was just the screen, you'd still get sounds. 

My best advice to you is to find an expert locally.  Maybe someone that fixes these for a living.  It's totally worth saving, and please let us know what happens.

Thank you! I will check into the board, and will will check with other experts, too.

Welcome to the forums!

What a cool find.  I don't think a normal TV will work with Asteroids.  My first suspicion would be the power into the board.  If it was just the screen, you'd still get sounds. 

My best advice to you is to find an expert locally.  Maybe someone that fixes these for a living.  It's totally worth saving, and please let us know what happens.

Archived