Tiny Toons Game - I worked on it!

eR1c

My first post,

---

I worked on this game back in 1993-4ish.  Don't recall the exact date off hand.

http://tinytoons.wikia.com/wiki/Tiny_Toon_Adventures_(Atari_Jaguar)

I worked as a both a traditional and digital animator on this game.  I specifically remember drawing, scanning then coloring the various sprites.  We would animate hundreds of frames to get a walk, jump, kick, etc...   

The game was scrapped well into the project.  The wiki page says it was due to poor quality (I actually resent that a bit), ...as I remember it funding was cancelled on the game due to poor sales of the Jaguar and the fact that the company did not want to continue to put money into this game as there were considerable production costs to get a physical game out.  The company I worked for was a small animation studio that was contracted out to do the animated characters.  I remember there was another company doing backgrounds and other aspects of the game.  I am still in touch w/ about 3 of the other animators on the project (I think there were about 6 of us total).  As far as I know everyone is still in the design business in some capacity.  

I happen to find this post as I was thinking back on some of the projects I've worked on in my career.

here is my personal design site,

www.efalkdesign.com

-it doesn't have any of this Atari work shown on it, but I think I reference the studio in my resume.  That was a fun time, lots of hard work, but a lot of fun.  Our team had a lot of passion for this project, -more so than a lot of bigger more popular releases I've worked on.  I think we all loved that it was Atari, and I remember even at the time wanting Atari to make a comeback in a more significant way. 

Anyway, I hope you find stuff like this interesting to share.

I do not know if I have any original artwork from the project, -I will have to ask one of the designers I worked w/ if he knows (he still works very close to me here in San Francisco).  This was pre CD ROM days, -well CD's may have existed but it wasn't so easy to back up your work and take it with you.  Floppy disks wouldn't have been practical.  I do remember using large hard drives to back everything up.  -And Silicon Graphics (Indigo) machines for the coloring of the animated sprite characters.  But in general whatever we did was property of the studio and wasn't easy to take with you.  I couldn't exactly walk out with the traditional sketches ...

Was happy to have worked on a project for Atari (was one of the highlights of my career).

Fascinating to hear you used Indigo machines for the graphics and that your team was so passionate about it. Thanks for sharing! If you ever happen to stumble across any pictures from that time or other related material, it would be a real treat to see! Do you still or did you have a Jaguar? 

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

I remember reading in Die Hard Game Fan magazine, sometime mid-1994ish, that Atari gave them an 'official excuse' for Tiny Toons delay/cancelation, claiming the computers the game was developed on had been damaged in the Northridge Earthquake in January, 1994.

I'll have to dig that one up.

My first post,

---

I worked on this game back in 1993-4ish.  Don't recall the exact date off hand.

http://tinytoons.wikia.com/wiki/Tiny_Toon_Adventures_(Atari_Jaguar)

I worked as a both a traditional and digital animator on this game.  I specifically remember drawing, scanning then coloring the various sprites.  We would animate hundreds of frames to get a walk, jump, kick, etc...   

Was happy to have worked on a project for Atari (was one of the highlights of my career).

The company you worked for on this wasn't V-Real Interactive was it??? The same thing that happened to this title, happened to the Arena Football '95 video game for the Jaguar too.

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Archived