Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Mark Mc Cubbin talks comprimises made for ST Shadow Of The Beast.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:41 AM

http://www.atari-for...php?f=3&t=15874

Only just had this fantastic insight brought to my attention, so thought the very least i could do was share it.

Whilst i've always been of the mindset that SOTB on Amiga, let alone Lynx, Master System or C64 (all technically very impressive games for the hardware), was case of pure sytle over substance (loved the music though, bought OST CD's years ago), it saddened me that when ever mainstream UK Press did a feature on the ST or indeed SOTB (Gamestm did a great feature, years back) the ST version barely got a mention, yet i longed to know more.

What's contained here and shared for free, is exactly what i was after.

Yet again paid-for content shamed by mere users simply reaching out to industry bods themselves and bringing the much needed information. to the community.

I also love fact Mark talks of what's possible in a demo, not being possible in an actual game.

Amount of times i've seen Atari fanboys alone put up links to A8 YT vids of demo's of A8 Outrun, Turrican etc that had maxed out hardware with limited results they'd achived already and then implied the impossible could be done and full game developed from here on in.

Common sense being spoken by a proffessional coder at last.

How the devil likes of Edge/RetroGamer/Gamestm seemed to fail to reach out to Mark is beyond me..

Focus was always on Amiga version of SOTB, which is fine, but when your doing repeat coverage, how about going after coders of ST versions once in a while?.

• Greyfox likes this

#2 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:40 PM

A fantasic read fella, truly insightful and again another piece of the over all puzzle securely placed into the jigsaw of the shadow of the beast franchise, a great read thanks..
  • Lost Dragon likes this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#3 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:36 AM

I'd personally rather discover older information like this, made freely avaiable, than take a chance that  a commercial Retro magazine of today just happened to of reached an ST coder, artist etc i'd yet to read anything by, in any feature.

These days i feel for print media to survive they are having to embrace head on a far younger generation, who's 1st console was the Playstation 1 or 2, rather than even the Mega Drive, SNES etc.

ST era sadly fading from mainstream coverage i fear.

#4 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:38 PM

Not for long hopefully ;)
  • Lost Dragon likes this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 11:02 AM

;-) very true.

My beef is with the way the mainstream, commercial press deals with the ST...

sure a making of ST Alpha waves here,token ST article there, they never reach far enough and same people from Atari UK seemed to be approached.

Yes, the ST had great ports from the 8 Bit systems, but as I said earlier I wanted to learn more about conversions from Amiga not things like bally Trantor from ZX Spectrum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users