Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

DEAD MALL SERIES

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Atari Adventure Square

Atari Adventure Square

Orange Member

• 267 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:29 AM

Right, that makes sense, fergo.

This gets me thinking of a future where mall outlets are comprised of business professionals, like docs and lawyers and suit-wearing folks.

And the halls' usual muzak remains (cuz I like to think it keeps playing after the place powers down, like some Ancient One's dreams pouring out into the landscape - yeah...malls as Lovecraftian Chthulu monsters...writing prompt!) but instead of bored teens getting neck cramps from phone-stare-lock, flocked near refreshment stands, you have suit-wearing, suitcase-holding, misters and missuses, going on about adult things, like suit-wearing adults are wont to do, sipping frappalattes and checking watches and clocks for upcoming appointments in those outlets.

And maybe they'd bring back Bank stands serving money and/or coffee, like we had when our giant city mall first opened here (well, just for money):

5dweh1.jpg

These looked cool and it was odd how they had money (in safes, I guess) and locally did mass amounts of cross-locale accounting business in days before computers were a thing of the present.

Just imagining this today, as an overgrown man-cube, puts the cycle of shopping mall life into perspective, as they grew out of the late 60s as a great new hotspot (and they were) and settled only later in the 80s as a mainstay.

That line in Dawn of the Dead as they're first circling the Monroeville Mall in the chopper always struck me: "What is it?" says Peter.

"One of those big indoor malls" answers Roger, cuz these apparently were not the daily outing of everyone, in the mid-to-late 70s (when this script was written).

I grew up in malls, and they remain as much sacred ground as the few remaining single-screen movie theaters.

Their presence always seemed a given, and I guess cyberlife has given us the ultimate Amazon/eBay type of malls, where everybody congregates for buys from their living rooms, but not for social flocking and talking. Actually, given we can choose our like-minded friends for cool chats, like in these forums, that's an improvement as well.

In any case, it's great seeing these dead mall structures, in their ghostlike nature, as they can be filled up mentally with folks and stores from all eras (or zombies!, Can't help it).

Edited by Atari Adventure Square, 08 October 2016 - 01:31 AM.

• The Professor and Zontar like this

#22 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,497 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for this. I have been watching more and more of his videos on youtube. It really is sad to think of the plans and the millions of dollars they put in to these malls and see them turn into piles of trash

Edited by jmjustin6, 08 October 2016 - 10:50 PM.

#23 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,504 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:35 PM

I mentioned Portland's beloved Lloyd Center mall earlier, and here's a rose-colored update from the developer:

http://www.lloydcenter.com/renovation

They took a full sized ice rink and made a small oval.  There used to be a pedestrian arched bridge over the rink, and that's gone too.  I might also mention that the mall was original open air.  One of my favorite places to go as a kid and teen.  I loved Christmas shopping in the snow.  They closed in the mall with a roof in the 90's. 

I know, things change over time.  But this mall was a Portland icon, and it feels like it's dying.  Redevelopment or not.  The anchor stores are gone. 

I'll end this post with historical pictures of the mall -- of things that are no longer there.  Long gone.  Sad.

lloyd_center_history.jpg

The glory of the spiral staircase.  There used to be doctor's offices on the third floor.  I hated going to those, but I loved climbing these steps with the groovy fountain in the center.

65554_10151344344559833_1470677653_n.jpe

The old pedestrian bridge over the full sized rink.  Did I mention Bobby Kennedy and family skated here during his run for the presidency?

LLOYD%20CENTER%20PORTLAND%20OR%201960s.j

Another view of the spiral staircase on a sunny Portland day.

• Justin, The Professor, Zontar and 3 others like this

#24 fergojisan

fergojisan

Orange Member

• 222 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:04 AM

I used to love going to the Menlo Park Mall in NJ, it also was an open air mall but was closed in before I can remember. They redid the whole mall in the early 90s, but there are still a couple reminders of the old mall.

The version I remember was where I believe I played my first arcade games. The arcade was huge (probably wouldn't be now if I could go in it), but I don't remember it having a name. The mall also had what I guess were like permanent kiosks, kind of like what Atari Adventure Square mentioned above. There was a card shop that was only just the stands where the cards sat, plus a small table with a register. I would always walk through it because we always parked at the entrance nearest to it. There was also a bank kiosk, and it hand rounded walls on the sides. I would always try to run up the walls. I was six, what do you expect? :)

• The Professor, Zontar and Atari Adventure Square like this

#25 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,282 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:29 PM

Here's a good article about our 2nd mall on the West Bank of New Orleans that I grew up with: 

http://southernretai...y-new-year.html

and the mall I'd hang out in while in college:

http://www.labelscar...ond-square-mall

I still have plenty of those Diamond Jim's arcade tokens from Belle Promenade mall. And scanned coupons too:

http://forums.atari....-malls/?p=10052

• The Professor, Zontar and Atari Adventure Square like this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#26 fergojisan

fergojisan

Orange Member

• 222 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:06 AM

Cool video of RFK skating at the Lloyd Center!

• The Professor, Zontar, RickR and 2 others like this

#27 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,504 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:09 AM

Cool video of RFK skating at the Lloyd Center!

Very cool!  Thank you for finding that.  It was such a cool place when it was open-air. 

Skating in a 3 piece suit is pretty bad-@ss!

#28 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Pear Member

• 1,019 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:11 AM

Dead malls are a particular fascination of mine. There are two in my area, and I'll post a Flickr album here later with pics of the one that's almost totally abandoned. The other is a medical mall now.

EDIT: Here is the album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWVh2c

This was a store in the mall:https://flic.kr/p/kngYe9

This is inside the main entrance today: https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/

http://www.deadmalls..._city_mall.html

Edited by LeeJ07, 13 October 2016 - 10:20 AM.

• The Professor, Zontar, Atari Adventure Square and 1 other like this
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#29 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Pear Member

• 1,019 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:42 PM

As a continuation of my above post, the two dead malls in my area were called the Twin City Mall and Glenwood Mall. 

Glenwood is a medical mall today, and there seems to be no pictures of its interior from when it was still a shopping mall. 

Twin City Mall was built in the mid '60s, and was the busiest mall in my hometown for over a decade.It had a Montgomery Wards, an Orange Julius, a Morgan & Lindsey, a movie theater, and a Howard Bros., which was a chain of stores that used to have locations across north Louisiana.

In 1985, a third mall was built, the Pecanland Mall, which is still going strong 3 decades later. Neither Twin City nor Glenwood could compete, and they both went out of business shortly thereafter. I believe Twin City officially closed in 1989.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#30 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,032 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 02:53 PM

DEAD MALL SERIES: THE GALLERY at Military Circle Norfolk, VA Ft. Music by HAIRCUTS FOR MEN - Dan Bell

• Justin likes this

#31 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,032 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:14 PM

:pow_big:

Dan Bell has created a new series called "Another Dirty Room" exploring and exposing the horrible things found in dirty hotel rooms.

I will be posting about his new series here.

#32 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,282 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:18 PM

Level 2 of DRL was inside a closed down Los Angeles shopping mall...........

• jmjustin6 likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#33 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,032 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:50 PM

DEAD MALL SERIES: Owings Mills Mall **DEMOLISHED** - Dan Bell

#34 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,032 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:51 PM

DEAD MALL SERIES : Super Dead, Creepy Owings Mills Mall at Night **DEMOLISHED** - Dan Bell

#35 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,032 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:52 PM

DEAD MALL SERIES: From Decadent To Dirt: The Last of Owings Mills Mall - Dan Bell

#36 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,504 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:55 PM

Some totally wrecked malls here -- including the one the Blues Brothers drove through:

http://www.abandoned...-crumbling.html

It's the internet and the wealth gap that killed 'em.  R.I.P. 

#37 dauber

dauber

Pretzel Member

• 396 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:45 PM

Some totally wrecked malls here -- including the one the Blues Brothers drove through:

http://www.abandoned...-crumbling.html

It's the internet and the wealth gap that killed 'em.  R.I.P. 

Blues Brothers mall = Dixie Square in Harvey, IL. I think that mall was doomed from the day it opened in 1968. I don't think it ever actually did well. It sat abandoned for a year before Blues Brothers was filmed, actually. Funny thing is Landis was specifically looking for an abandoned mall for the infamous chase scene.All the stores inside were just false fronts that the real businesses decorated.

But Harvey is an incredibly crappy town. It's....not safe. In fact, while the abandoned mall was still standing, murders and rapes happened inside there.

There have been several brave souls who actually went inside the mall for urban exploration. A lot of stuff left over from the movie was still there -- a couple of signs used as decorations, for example, and even tire tracks. (It may have been from something other than the filming of the movie, but it's still cool to think that the movie's tire tracks were still there!)

I drove by the mall a few times (I had to -- Blues Brothers is my favorite movie ever) and even in broad daylight it was kind of scary to be in that area. The only thing that makes you feel like you might not be killed is that in what used to be the mall's parking lot is a police station. Only problem is if you were into urban exploration and you drove into the lot, chances are a cop would tell you to get out. (I never went into the lot; I always drove past it on the sidestreets that bordered it.)

The mall was demolished about eight years ago. They were supposed to make bricks from the mall available for sale but they never did; wonder if they were too affected by asbestos or something.

If you're ever in the Chicago area and want to see the big empty space that used to be Dixie Square Mall, take Interstate 57 and get off at the exit immediately after the Harvey city limit sign.Head east after you exit and head south on Dixie Highway. The massive slab-o-concrete that was once a mall is about half a mile south on the left. Good luck.

Anyhoo, here's  a picture I took of what was still standing of the mall circa 2007 (some of it had literally collapsed)....I think this part used to be a J.C. Penney (both in the movie and in real life):

dsm.jpg

• The Professor, RickR and LeeJ07 like this

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

#38 dauber

dauber

Pretzel Member

• 396 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:50 PM

Personally, I'm not sad to see malls die out. They're what caused downtowns to become abandoned. And malls haven't been worth a damn since the mid-80's; starting around 1986 is when malls started offering little variety...pretty much women's clothing stores and not much more.

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

#39 StormSurge

StormSurge

Pear Member

• 1,162 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:05 AM

Article in The NY Times about the series: https://www.nytimes....ping-malls.html

Edited by StormSurge, 27 July 2017 - 08:55 AM.

#40 Mcorleonep

Mcorleonep

Cherry Member

• 41 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:04 AM

Here is footage of the abandoned Lincoln Mall, Matteson IL. the go-to place in my youth right before it got demolished earlier this year.  The Carson Pirie Scott store is still standing and open to my knowledge.  I haven't been to the area for 8 years or so...

• Justin and StormSurge like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users