Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Jr. Pac-Man for INTV

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:42 AM

That'll be the last time I ever log into Atariage.   Sleazeballs and douchebags. 
If Albert shows up to Arcade Expo,  I may give him a hearty manslap.

• Lost Dragon likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#22 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:16 AM

There have been similar stunts pulled before and good people taken claims at face value as, it just seemed such an utterly absurd concept you'd fabricate a tale, just to suit a personal agenda on a niche subject...

Unseen64 were taken in by someone claiming to have exclusive Croc III info for example and because the site relies on people researching on it's behalf, simply didn't have the time or resources to look deeper into claim, before using it as a news piece at the time, reality came to light soon enough, as these things often do as people start to think hang on, something doesn't add up here...

But yes, from a personal point of view, having no idea who on earth  this 'Eric' character was, i just thought wow, another fantastic random find, kindly shared with the community on AA and reposted here, we'd seen things like Real A8 Star Raiders found/shared, 7800 Toki, details of 7800 Paperboy etc..it just gave me further hope there were still finds like these out there, waiting to be discovered.

And now it turns out it was a ploy made up just to promote a persons project, well really, slow clap well deserved there then, if that's the marketing angle you take for it, i hope Eric reaps what he's sown with this one.....

There seems to be an underlying...'smugness' starting to spread throughout aspects of the Retro community.....a degree of we can do what ever we want and if your not in on the joke or feel morally uncomfortable about what we are doing, your a moron, your the one at fault....

Had Eric come forward and said, erm, yeah sorry guys in hindsight it was a really dumb ploy, dunno what we were thinking, meant 'well' but backfired, my bad, i'd of had more time for this stunt, but as is..pfff...

Think i'm gonna take Rowsdower's approach, but a bit further, not logged in to AA for ages, but occ.dipped in to see if any new finds been made, but nahh, site simply isn't even worth a read these days if crap like this is deemed acceptable.It might have the numbers, but it's far from the Atari community..no man, nor website is an island..

• Justin, RickR and Rowsdower70 like this

#23 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:34 AM

Just the fact that AtariAge tolerates it disgusts me.  

As Justin said:  delete the thread and ban the user.  

• Justin, RickR and Lost Dragon like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#24 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,239 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:19 PM

"Smugness" is a good choice of word. It's very off-putting.

Thumbs up to Arenafoot for posting his disappointment over there. They turn into sharks quickly. That took guts.

My words are too harsh and I apologize.  To be more clear...I've been an AA member for many years, and it can be intimidating.  I don't feel comfortable expressing my opinion over there so easily, as I've been ganged up on before and there is no protection.  I've seen the same on Facebook groups, so not singling out AA. 

As I've stated below:  I had the chance to play the game and it was excellent.  I just did not like the marketing trick.  That is all.  Peace. 

Edited by RickR, 31 October 2016 - 02:00 PM.

• Justin, MaximumRD, Arenafoot and 1 other like this

#25 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,045 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:02 PM

And with that let's all just move on please, Atariage is what it is and we are what we are, no more venting and going on about it, it is done and nothing has changed at least in that once again we see the difference between sites, let's be the better and move on. As I said originally my intent was not cross forum drama but clarification, we can all choose what dealings we do or do not have with AA, they spun it as a marketing joke and it is typical for those involved, I don't have to like it, I don't but it is what it is. I think whenever we see such threads on AA we merely need to be on guard and take it with a large grain of salt and see how it plays out. This is how I have been cautious since that time I fell for something similar a while back. A leopard does not change it's spots and we have some connections with AA so no need to add any more fuel at this point.  :beer:

• Justin, RickR and Arenafoot like this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#26 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:49 PM

Fair enough.

• MaximumRD and Arenafoot like this

#27 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:36 PM

Just solidifies everything I said in post #4. Eric and others involved think that kind of thing is hilarious, I do not. Even after all my years and experience on AA I still fall for it myself I guess because it is not the type of thing I would personally do, not the kind of thing I find amusing so I guess I am still not expecting anyone to do such things. That said I cannot say I am surprised in the least and really I should of known better considering Eric was making the claim, I mean considering what I know of him and my personal opinion what are the odds HE all of people would legit discover such a thing?  :P

Proud to say I have no idea who "Eric" is because we have our walls up and don't let that sort of drama in here. Keep Atari I/O Beautiful  :emoji-E420:

• The Professor, MaximumRD, RickR and 1 other like this

#28 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,245 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:50 AM

Keep Atari I/O Beautiful  :emoji-E420:

Party On!  :spot:  :martini:  :beer:

• Justin and The Professor like this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#29 Rev

Rev

BANNED

• Banned
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:10 AM

Hey guys. Wanted to drop by and say Hi.

The Jr Pac "hoax" was 100% my idea, based on what I heard about someone did with some Jr Pac game on 7800 a few years back.

This was not Endorsed in any way by Atari Age/Albert.

I put Eric up to this as well. Please don't blame him. ;-)

Should I have revealed a new homebrew release in this manner? Good question.

It was meant as a fun thing to do, almost an inside joke if you will with the Intv/AA regulars. Which is why the title wasn't something to the effect of "jr pac holy grail proto".

No one was meant to have their intelligence insulted in any way. The "hoax" was always meant to be revealed after a few days and at least not dragged out for weeks.

Anyway, apologies to anyone I've offended by my actions. This was never meant to alienate any Intv fans.

No more pranks of this nature on my end.

Take care.
! THIS MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THE FOLLOWING INCIDENT: http://forums.atari....c-man-for-intv/

#30 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:21 AM

Had this happened here the topic would be removed and the Member permanently banned from the site. Just FYI.

As Justin said: delete the thread and ban the user.

Proud to say I have no idea who "Eric" is because we have our walls up and don't let that sort of drama in here. Keep Atari I/O Beautiful :emoji-E420:

The Jr Pac "hoax" was 100% my idea

Pollution from other sites will not be allowed :info:

• The Professor, MaximumRD, Arenafoot and 2 others like this

#31 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,045 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:51 PM

Interesting. Well this is exactly why I made my post about moving on and it is what it is etc, because it always seems somehow info gets back to AA. BUT I will say I guess it is something he botherered to register, post, apologize and say there would be no more such marketing attempts, he seemed to actually be concerned about how outsiders perceived such behaviour. 

Probably still best you banished him and shut him down I guess, sends a clear message that we are just not into such nonsense and have no interests in tolerating such behaviour. If it is an "in joke" between certain AA Intellivision collectors than perhaps that is where it should stay. 

• Justin, The Professor, Arenafoot and 1 other like this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#32 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:39 PM

There are some really great people on other sites. Many of our most dedicated members originally came from AtariAge and other sites, including MaximumRD, BTBfilms, and most everybody reading this. We want to welcome in as many great new people as possible, to join us and grow our membership. But they have to get what we're doing and at least attempt to understand what this community stands for. If we allow the same nonsense to happen here that happens on other sites, what good are we?

I made a commitment to all of you to Keep Atari I/O Beautiful. Hoaxes and drama being dragged in here from other sites won't fly. I said this wouldn't be tolerated here and I meant it.

• The Professor, MaximumRD, Arenafoot and 1 other like this

#33 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,032 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:11 PM

I made a commitment to all of you to Keep Atari I/O Beautiful. Hoaxes and drama being dragged in here from other sites won't fly. I said this wouldn't be tolerated here and I meant it.

1011580.jpg

We'll look at that, dawn is breaking.
  • Justin, MaximumRD and Lost Dragon like this

#34 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,239 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:23 PM

I'm sorry to beat the dead horse...but I got to play the game at PRGE, and it was really really great.  The point being, they didn't need to resort to a stunt like this.  The game is good enough to stand on it's own without bogus hype. 

• Justin, MaximumRD, Arenafoot and 1 other like this

#35 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,245 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:50 AM

The point being, they didn't need to resort to a stunt like this.  The game is good enough to stand on it's own without bogus hype. 

Amen!

• Justin and Lost Dragon like this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#36 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:58 AM

I'm sorry to beat the dead horse...but I got to play the game at PRGE, and it was really really great.  The point being, they didn't need to resort to a stunt like this.  The game is good enough to stand on it's own without bogus hype. 

You're not beating a dead horse, that's the crux of the matter. Great games don't require bizarre stunts or misleading the community.

• MaximumRD and Lost Dragon like this

#37 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Apple Member

• 996 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:50 PM

This just gets curiouser and curiouser.
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#38 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:07 AM

This just gets curiouser and curiouser.

This is super straight forward. If somebody disruptive shows up with a bad reputation and drags negative issues into our community they are going to be removed from the site. (See our House Rules)

It's a really beautiful Jr. Pac-Man though.

• MaximumRD and Lost Dragon like this

#39 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Apple Member

• 996 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:37 AM

Actually, I meant with regards to actually apologizing in the first place. Most folks don't even bother. Strange all around.
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#40 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:54 AM

And the tale has gotten stranger still it seems...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users