Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Nintendo Switch

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,476 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:03 PM

I was thinking that if this thing is fully portable wont they then be competing against themselves with the 3DS?

Nevertheless im excited to know more about this thing. Big issue is battery life. If im playing skyrim on the go i canr imagine the battery lasting too long

#22 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:33 PM

What would blow me away?

http://reddwarf.wiki...sion_Video_Game

On a more serious note, it would be nice if Nintendo gave a few straight answers to some reasonable and simple Q's like:

Does the dock contain extra hardware and what does it output, image wise, to a TV? 900P? 1080P? Native? Upscaled?.

What is average battery life?

Does the standard bundle come with the dock, or is that sold separately?

Was Skyrim just used as an example of what could be done? Or has a version actually been signed/work has started on..

Those sort of things would go a long way...

As for 3DS,it's my understanding Nintendo has its key teams working solely on Switch games, so I'd expect 3DS support to start to slow down and hardware be phased out over time, with focus now purely on Switch.

Nintendo took a lot of flak over Wii U not having triple A games in numbers fans wanted,I cannot see them repeating that mistake again.
  • RickR likes this

#23 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:29 PM

A few quick thoughts on the Nintendo Switch announcement:

Disclaimer: This is coming from someone who was pioneering AR/VR 15 years ago while also enthralled with classic gaming. My perspective on the industry is usually pretty wonky.

• I wonder if all the Game Boy fans who’ve trashed Atari Lynx for the past 25 years as being “too big to fit in your pocket” will come up with a reason as to why that logic doesn’t apply to Nintendo Switch as a handheld.

• Overall I’m disappointed. It did not “wow” me the way I had hoped it would. We didn’t see anything more than the rumors we’ve already heard. Is there more to come?

• It makes sense for Nintendo to integrate their console games and portable games into one line. The concept seems basic. Will this have the massive appeal of Game Boy? Or the limited appeal of Wii U?

• It’s an odd choice to have the “Switch” branding so massive but omit the Nintendo logo from the obvious places, centered under the screen etc.

• The preview video featured 20-30somethings almost exclusively. No kids. No families. Why? That’s Nintendo’s bread and butter. Do they think NX is moving away from that demo?

• Nintendo share value dropped 6.5% following Switch reveal. Investors evidently aren’t happy: http://www.nintendol...g_switch_reveal

• The industrial design is uninspiring. It doesn’t look fun, inviting or modern. It reminds me of my Iomega Zip Drive from 1998. And, frankly, the textured black plastic isn’t differentiated much from an Atari cartridge. Sony and Microsoft consoles have a sleek, modern finish, as do mobile products from Apple, Google and others. I’m open to “different and innovative” but this looks very generic. It’s like one of those “Dreamcast 2” hoax renderings people post in Deviant Art. Disappointing.

• The controller design reminds me of the Ouya controller.

• Can I use Switch to watch Netflix on the go? Instagram? Facebook? Atari I/O?

• Is Nintendo Switch also a tablet? No? If not, why not? Mobile gaming isn’t a novelty that requires a separate purchase. Mobile gaming is big right now because people have already invested money into their mobile devices and carry them almost everywhere. (Money spent on phones and tablets likely would have gone into other tech purchases 10-20 years ago). If Nintendo Switch could take the place of a tablet purchase it would attract more people to buy Switch instead of iPad, Surface, etc. Instead, this seems like an additional purchase to people who likely already have a tablet AND home console.

• I remember how excited I was whenever a new system would be released. I made a whole video about this excitement with the Atari VSX. I was so excited for SNES I got a Super Famicom straight from Japan when it was released. I don’t feel that deep child-like excitement for Switch. Not yet. I wish I did.

• What if there were custom interchangeable controllers released for certain games? This is the best hypothetical use of the Nintendo Switch concept: http://www.polygon.c...roller-concepts

nxmodconcept.0.jpg

• Doctor Octagon, MaximumRD, atarilbc and 1 other like this

#24 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:48 PM

This is one of the things that niggles me...

Folks mocked the original Lynx for being too big to fit in a pocket, but now mobiles etc, needing a new selling point, have gone for larger screens and tablet gaming has taken off, no one seems concerned about size of the Switch nor it's tiny controllers...

Sony got ripped a new one with PSP battery life,mock ups of PSP connected to a car battery etc..

So will Switch get the same scorn if it's battery life isn't that great?
  • Justin likes this

#25 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:01 PM

http://www.mcvuk.com...o-games/0174233

This annoys as well...

NUON did this...Atari also with the Jaguar etc etc.

It's all well and good annoucing A-Z are developing for your platform, but as a Dreamcast and then Xbox owner after dabbling with PS2 in between and then again after...i saw Konami, who back then actually like made games, yeah, i know, crazy eh?....Bring MGS 3:Snake Eater and Silent Hill 3 out on PS2, but not Xbox and it's DC support was laughable...

As a Jaguar owner, ohhh look at all those developers signed up and lets see what they have lined up for us..oh look PORTS..ports from SNES, Ports from Amiga, Ports from PC.

This is why i'm cynical, i've paid bloody good money over the years for hardware by Atari, Sega,MS etc, who all assured me the software support was there as they'd signed up....

Nintendo will need to ensure they can sign up 3rd party support that brings big name titles to Switch, same time as PS4/Pro, XB1 and PC as it aint gonna be that long before MS starts the hype train for Scorpio and it too will be annoucing developer support..

• Justin likes this

#26 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,097 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:07 PM

:) 

gallery_18158_784_53197.jpg

• Justin, Lost Dragon and jmjustin6 like this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#27 GervGirl

GervGirl

Cherry Member

• 37 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:45 PM

Well it did not wow me ether but I am excited because I do love Nintendo almost as much as Atari. They have always looked to be different and in a lege of their own. Honestly I think it is going to take a lot for them to top the Wii wow factor. That was great technology when it came out and have yet to really see them top that. I have a teenage daughter so we will for sure get one of these at some point. Another reason I love Nintendo is I am a sucker for the Zelda games and Donky Kong Country games which you can only get on Nintendo of course. They have me sold on their exclusive games and there for no matter what I will be a sucker for buying the newest gaming system just for those games alone. ....... My 13 year old on the other hand think the new switch is awesome. I can wait a couple years for the price drop.
  • Justin, Doctor Octagon and Lost Dragon like this

#28 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,173 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:47 AM

First of all, my theory why some of us (myself included) feel that new systems no longer induce the "wow" factor feeling. 

Graphical leaps are getting smaller and smaller.

Going from 2600 to NES...Wow!

26nes.png

From NES to Genesis...WOW!

nesgen.png

Grainy FMV on Sega CD...Wow!

Genesis to PS1...Wow!

genos1.png

PS1 to PS2...Wow!

ps12pic.png

PS2 to PS3...meh.

screengrab_480.jpg

Here's another one. Mario kept looking better and better, but once the gamecube version hit, he didn't really improve all that much.

mario history.jpg

We're visual people, but the room for improvement is getting smaller and smaller. It's actually smart that Nintendo is focusing on innovation. (Wii, DS, 3DS, Wii-U)

Yes, they have had some duds (Virtual Boy and Wii-U as far as sales go).

Switch doesn't floor me, but it does intrigue me. I like the option to play on either a TV or laying on the couch while someone else is watching TV.  The 3DS is my current favorite system and Nintendo is my favorite game maker. Even if it was just another plain system, I'd probably be interested just for the next games in series such as Zelda and Mario Kart.

Two last thoughts:

1) Portable no longer means having to fit in your pockets, thanks to massive smart phones and iPads.

2) I hate to say it, but we (who grew up in the 80's and 90's) are no longer the target audience.  Now it's all about Millennials, who, on the whole, have different tastes than us. I believe that is who the trailer was targeting. However, future ads may target more kids and families. 

• Justin, Doctor Octagon, MaximumRD and 5 others like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#29 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:20 PM

Justin, you voiced many things that were my concern too.    The first thing I thought of was that it looked like a glorified android device.

It will end up being all about the games.  If they can get the big publishers to pay attention, they might do okay. 

I  think they have given up on the fighting the big 2 and are just sticking with their niche. 

• Justin, Doctor Octagon and Lost Dragon like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#30 Doctor Octagon

Doctor Octagon

• 483 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:58 PM

Anyone let down by the name? "Switch" doesn't have much magic to it. I kinda liked the name Nintendo NX, NX sounds like "Next". Switch is so literal.

• Justin and Lost Dragon like this

#31 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Pear Member

• 1,011 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:30 PM

I do like NX better, but I'm willing to forgive Switch in light of GameCube, Wii, etc.
  • Justin likes this
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#32 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:02 PM

The question I would have for those that are skeptical:

What exactly would blow your socks off? 

I would have been impressed if they had made a new home gaming console with no gimmicky crap, instead have current gen hardware and a new relationship with game publishers so that in addition to your big 3 or 4 standard (Mario, Zelda, Kart, Party) games you can also give people a console that plays the games other gamers are playing.

Let your 3DS be your portable, and make a new HOME console.   Then you'll impress me at least as much as PS or XBox have.

• Justin, MaximumRD, StormSurge and 1 other like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#33 GervGirl

GervGirl

Cherry Member

• 37 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:06 PM

I totally agree nosweargamer to what you said.
  • Justin, nosweargamer and Lost Dragon like this

#34 AlamoAtari

AlamoAtari

Apple Member

• 510 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:44 PM

One more nail into the hate column is no backward compatibility, this is going to be an issue with the ds gamers in my opinion. Can only hope for an adapter.
  • Justin and Lost Dragon like this

#35 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Pear Member

• 1,011 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:15 PM

Again, that's not anything new from Nintendo.

The Wii was backwards compatible with the GameCube. WiiU was not.

Course, it goes without saying the Switch isn't backwards compatible with the WiiU due to not playing disks, though the same thing happened between N64 and Gamecube, and Sony's PSP to Vita, though of course Vita is compatible with "digital" versions of PSP games. You still couldn't stick a physical PSP game into a Vita, meaning you'd have to re-download a PSP game you already owned if you simply wanted to play it on a Vita.

In short, if the Switch is not backwards compatible with DS games, I am not too surprised.

Heck, PS3 games can't even play on a PS4, so it's not only Nintendo.

Edited by LeeJ07, 22 October 2016 - 07:18 PM.

#36 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Pear Member

• 1,011 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:21 PM

Another point, too: the first DS was backwards compatible with GBA, later iterations were not.

Not that I'm agreeing with the policy or anything, but it appears to me that Nintendo simply phases out backwards compatibility for generations older than the most recent past console generation.

#37 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 3,173 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:41 PM

I'm not sure how the Switch would play 3DS games anyway. DS games aren't even made any more (they only had 2 new games in 2014), so that would not be a big deal to the average consumer.

Besides, Nintendo will just say they are happy with the 3DS, that it's there only dedicated portable system and that it will still be supported (until a couple of years later). 

BTW, is the Switch screen a touch screen? I don't recall anything in the trailer showing anyone touching the screen, but I could've missed it.

• Justin likes this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#38 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Pear Member

• 1,011 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

Based on the numbers of games slated to release on the 3DS next year alone, it is fairly evident that Nintendo is not yet finished with it.

What their long term goals for it might be, who knows, but it's obviously not being done away with in 2017.

#39 AlamoAtari

AlamoAtari

Apple Member

• 510 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:01 PM

I just see it as a gimmick, not really good at doing both home and hand held consoles and falling way short of expectations. The processor is looking like it would box developers into a corner. Nintendo does processors on the cheap and the ones that company has is a bit ho hum. I hope that I'm wrong, but it looks like the classic console would outsell the switch. That would be embarrassing.
  • Rowsdower70 and jmjustin6 like this

#40 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:11 PM

Well it did not wow me ether but I am excited because I do love Nintendo almost as much as Atari. They have always looked to be different and in a league of their own. [...] Another reason I love Nintendo is I am a sucker for the Zelda games and Donky Kong Country games which you can only get on Nintendo of course. They have me sold on their exclusive games and there for no matter what I will be a sucker for buying the newest gaming system just for those games alone.

Agreed! Nintendo is the Disney of video games. I wish I was as excited about the console itself as I am about new Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong games  :nintendo_mario: 

First of all, my theory why some of us (myself included) feel that new systems no longer induce the "wow" factor feeling. 

Graphical leaps are getting smaller and smaller.

Going from 2600 to NES...Wow!

Great point and I agree with you totally. "Wow factor" can be more than graphics. I'd love to have something new in gaming to be excited about again! There used to be so many alternative choices in the 80s and 90s. When Nintendo and Sega were fighting the 16-Bit wars, there were tons of other things to get excited about, like Atari Lynx, TurboGrafx-16 / Duo, Neo-Geo, import games, Amiga CD32, Jaguar, 3DO, FM Towns Marty, and I suppose even CD-i. Today Nintendo is the little guy and with the rare exception choices are limited.

Justin, you voiced many things that were my concern too.    The first thing I thought of was that it looked like a glorified android device.

I completely agree! It's concerning to me that they're releasing a generic looking console when Nintendo stuff can be so unique and fun. What makes Switch more special than an iPad with a cool controller, other than the fact that Nintendo properties like Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokémon, Star Fox, etc. will be exclusive to the console? Glorified Android device is right!

I  think they have given up on the fighting the big 2 and are just sticking with their niche. 

Sad! But very true.

Anyone let down by the name? "Switch" doesn't have much magic to it. I kinda liked the name Nintendo NX, NX sounds like "Next". Switch is so literal.

I thought the same thing. That's really well put, "Switch" is such a literal name. There was a rumor the other day that the NX would be introduced as "Nintendo Duo" which I dismissed as a hoax (I doubt Nintendo would want any hint of confusion with a previous system) but in hindsight I like that name a lot more than "Switch". Might as well call it the "Nintendo Mix-'n-Match"  :wreck-it-ralph: 

BTW, is the Switch screen a touch screen? I don't recall anything in the trailer showing anyone touching the screen, but I could've missed it.

It's a great question, I was wondering the same thing. I meant to include this in my line about "Is Switch a tablet or no?" I'm assuming it's a touch screen, but they didn't show it as using a touch screen in the video. With the success of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U games like Super Mario Maker I can see that being a feature they'd include. What do they have to lose at this point?

• MaximumRD likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users