Nintendo Switch

Justin

Again, that's not anything new from Nintendo.

The Wii was backwards compatible with the GameCube. WiiU was not.

Course, it goes without saying the Switch isn't backwards compatible with the WiiU due to not playing disks, though the same thing happened between N64 and Gamecube, and Sony's PSP to Vita, though of course Vita is compatible with "digital" versions of PSP games. You still couldn't stick a physical PSP game into a Vita, meaning you'd have to re-download a PSP game you already owned if you simply wanted to play it on a Vita.

In short, if the Switch is not backwards compatible with DS games, I am not too surprised.

Heck, PS3 games can't even play on a PS4, so it's not only Nintendo.

Edited by LeeJ07

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

Another point, too: the first DS was backwards compatible with GBA, later iterations were not.

Not that I'm agreeing with the policy or anything, but it appears to me that Nintendo simply phases out backwards compatibility for generations older than the most recent past console generation.

I'm not sure how the Switch would play 3DS games anyway. DS games aren't even made any more (they only had 2 new games in 2014), so that would not be a big deal to the average consumer.

Besides, Nintendo will just say they are happy with the 3DS, that it's there only dedicated portable system and that it will still be supported (until a couple of years later). 

BTW, is the Switch screen a touch screen? I don't recall anything in the trailer showing anyone touching the screen, but I could've missed it.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Based on the numbers of games slated to release on the 3DS next year alone, it is fairly evident that Nintendo is not yet finished with it.

What their long term goals for it might be, who knows, but it's obviously not being done away with in 2017.

I just see it as a gimmick, not really good at doing both home and hand held consoles and falling way short of expectations. The processor is looking like it would box developers into a corner. Nintendo does processors on the cheap and the ones that company has is a bit ho hum. I hope that I'm wrong, but it looks like the classic console would outsell the switch. That would be embarrassing.

Well it did not wow me ether but I am excited because I do love Nintendo almost as much as Atari. They have always looked to be different and in a league of their own. [...] Another reason I love Nintendo is I am a sucker for the Zelda games and Donky Kong Country games which you can only get on Nintendo of course. They have me sold on their exclusive games and there for no matter what I will be a sucker for buying the newest gaming system just for those games alone.

Agreed! Nintendo is the Disney of video games. I wish I was as excited about the console itself as I am about new Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong games  :nintendo_mario: 

First of all, my theory why some of us (myself included) feel that new systems no longer induce the "wow" factor feeling. 

Graphical leaps are getting smaller and smaller.

Going from 2600 to NES...Wow!

Great point and I agree with you totally. "Wow factor" can be more than graphics. I'd love to have something new in gaming to be excited about again! There used to be so many alternative choices in the 80s and 90s. When Nintendo and Sega were fighting the 16-Bit wars, there were tons of other things to get excited about, like Atari Lynx, TurboGrafx-16 / Duo, Neo-Geo, import games, Amiga CD32, Jaguar, 3DO, FM Towns Marty, and I suppose even CD-i. Today Nintendo is the little guy and with the rare exception choices are limited.

Justin, you voiced many things that were my concern too.    The first thing I thought of was that it looked like a glorified android device.

I completely agree! It's concerning to me that they're releasing a generic looking console when Nintendo stuff can be so unique and fun. What makes Switch more special than an iPad with a cool controller, other than the fact that Nintendo properties like Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokémon, Star Fox, etc. will be exclusive to the console? Glorified Android device is right!

I  think they have given up on the fighting the big 2 and are just sticking with their niche. 

Sad! But very true.

Anyone let down by the name? "Switch" doesn't have much magic to it. I kinda liked the name Nintendo NX, NX sounds like "Next". Switch is so literal.

I thought the same thing. That's really well put, "Switch" is such a literal name. There was a rumor the other day that the NX would be introduced as "Nintendo Duo" which I dismissed as a hoax (I doubt Nintendo would want any hint of confusion with a previous system) but in hindsight I like that name a lot more than "Switch". Might as well call it the "Nintendo Mix-'n-Match"  :wreck-it-ralph: 

BTW, is the Switch screen a touch screen? I don't recall anything in the trailer showing anyone touching the screen, but I could've missed it.

It's a great question, I was wondering the same thing. I meant to include this in my line about "Is Switch a tablet or no?" I'm assuming it's a touch screen, but they didn't show it as using a touch screen in the video. With the success of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U games like Super Mario Maker I can see that being a feature they'd include. What do they have to lose at this point?

Got your attention? OK just having some fun but this is really well done.  :rofl: 

Bahahaha HERE IS A VERSION of the SWITCH reveal trailer that pretty much really shows what you can expect! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWpD1k5PVnU

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Agreed.  I wasn't really impressed.  The thing that really gets me is the cartridge format.  Seems like a HUGE concession to the portability of the device that will make 3rd parties recoil away, and the ability to take it with you or play on the TV doesn't seem like it would make for better games.  Are they going to have Pokemon Go-like functionality in all their first party titles now?

This just looks like Nintendo being esoteric for the sake of it once more.

Agreed.  I wasn't really impressed.  The thing that really gets me is the cartridge format.  Seems like a HUGE concession to the portability of the device that will make 3rd parties recoil away, and the ability to take it with you or play on the TV doesn't seem like it would make for better games.  Are they going to have Pokemon Go-like functionality in all their first party titles now?

This just looks like Nintendo being esoteric for the sake of it once more.

I was wondering that about the cartridges format too. There are a lot smaller than I had expected them to be. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I thought it would look more substantial than a DS cartridge. It makes me wonder if people will look at how small it is and think that there's "less in there".

Welcome to the forums RawSteelUT!

OK, so it'll use external cards for saving (hopefully), but have no hard drive support at all.  Interesting, that.

The 3DS was nowhere near 8GB, I don't think...

The rom for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is 3.56GB

For resolution, the 3DSXL's top screen is 800x240.

On the vita, things aren't as rosy either.

Of this list, the biggest game on the Vita is the 3.95 GB of Killzone: Mercenary.

The Vita's screen resolution is 960x544.

The 3DS, while supporting SD cards, had game save capacity on the cartridge, while the Vita used hilariously expensive, proprietary memory cards.

The system will likely not get games as big as what we're seeing on even the current PS4 and Xbox One, to say nothing of what we'll eventually see with the Scorpio, and I'm honestly not sure they'll be much better graphically than the Wii U.  Graphics are, of course, not everything, but this will likely send third parties backing away, reducing the appeal as a home system.  Not only that, but companies making games on the 3DS and Vita for how cheap they are to produce might not want to jump on either, as there's going to be more pressure to make something more substantial.  So what is the Switch, then?  First party, indies and the occasional half-arsed party game?

Edited by RawSteelUT

Meh, I'll pass. No need for a portable myself and other than it's ability to "switch" that they seemed to be trying to drive home in this promo I see nothing new here. If this is replacing the WiiU I am not impressed in the slightest. 

Honestly my exact thoughts. I am sure after time I will pick up one but for now if I get anything modern it will be a PS4 that I have had my eye on for some time. Mainly because of that Friday the 13th game that is coming out soon hopefully. 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

We got one a couple weeks after launch, I've enjoyed Blaster Master Zero. I ended up beating Breath of the Wild on the Wii U instead of the Switch because we weren't initially planning on getting one. Snipperclips is great too. 1-2 Switch is ok in short bursts, and Super Bomberman was a bit of a disappointment so far, although I haven't tried it with the recent patch. 

My daughter has played Zelda on it in the car quite a bit on some 2-2.5 hr trips, and we've had no issues with battery life.

I think I'm really going to play more once Mario Kart arrives this week. I'm really looking forward to having a good battle mode again, unlike the crap battle mode they gave us in Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U.