Raising Cane vs. Zaxby's

RickR

I know we've argued about it multiple times in the forums.  Arenafoot and jmjustin6 always mention these two (although I can't remember who likes which).

Anyways, I just tried Cane's, and it was awesome.  I'll try Zaxby's within the next few days.  Yes, while my wife is off working, I am sampling the fast-food joints they have down south that we don't have at home.  Don't worry, fancy restaurants are being visited with her in the evenings.

Also tried "Steak N Shake" and was immensely impressed.  Such a great deal.  There is no way you can find a table service restaurant back home at these prices.  WOW!  Southern living is alright!!

post-41-0-67809600-1477771957_thumb.jpg

I DO see they have a Jason's Deli in Charleston.   You should definitely get in on some of that action.   

They are a chain based out of Beaumont, which is about 20 mins near me.   Excellent deli, very eco/health friendly. 

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Raising Cane's was founded by Todd Graves, an LSU Graduate and his first store (1996) was right outside the gates of LSU. Todd tells a story of how he wrote a business plan of a restaurant that would only sell Chicken Fingers - and the professor said it would never work. Go Figure! Now Cane's has over 300 locations coast to coast and some in the Middle East.

Now fast forward to 2015, Zaxby's (based in GA) decides to build their first locations in Louisiana.............. in "Cane's Country"!!! Where I live, I got one of the 2 new LA locations, which they built right down the street from our Cane's too! (Of course, this is the same place, Watson, LA  that took on 34 inches of rain August 12-14, 2016 during the Great Flood of 2016 - neither one were flooded)

My take: 

• Cane's - best sauce........ EVER! Made daily fresh in the store!  Zaxby's sauce is premade, similar to McD's dippin' sauces for their McNuggets.150px-Zaxbysauce.jpg
  • The chicken - Cane's and Zaxby's both fresh - Zaxby's "fried" skin is much harder than Cane's. (just depends on what you prefer)
  • Cole Slaw - Cane's puts it in the styrofoam box with the hot chicken and french fries and sometimes makes the slaw hot. Zaxby's doesn't have slaw at all.
  • French Fries - Cane's small crinkle fries - best when just out of the fryer (like McD's fries), Zaxby's bigger crinkle fries but seasoned!
  • Texas Toast - Cane's uses oval bread - Zaxby's uses the actual "Texas Toast" bread
  • Drinks - Cane's makes their sweet (and unsweet) tea daily and actually squeezes lemons for their lemonade daily. Zaxby's has sweet/unsweet tea but no lemonade.
  • SEC / LSU - Cane's has had Les Miles as their spokesperson for all 12 years he was here. Then Zaxby's comes to town and states they are "the official chicken for sports fanz" and has a deal w/ 30 NCAA universities including LSU.

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Also tried "Steak N Shake" and was immensely impressed.  Such a great deal.  There is no way you can find a table service restaurant back home at these prices.  WOW!  Southern living is alright!!

Steak and Shake is awesome.  I just tried to see if there were any Whataburger locations near you, but unfortunately only in West Columbia.

Steak and Shake is one of my favorites. When I was a kid I worked at a movie theater that had a Steak and Shake outside next to the parking lot. A few times a week I'd walk over there with my friends and get food. It was always fresh and better than McDonald's and their milkshakes were worth every calorie. 

Raising Cane's was founded by Todd Graves, an LSU Graduate and his first store (1996) was right outside the gates of LSU. Todd tells a story of how he wrote a business plan of a restaurant that would only sell Chicken Fingers - and the professor said it would never work. Go Figure! Now Cane's has over 300 locations coast to coast and some in the Middle East.

Now fast forward to 2015, Zaxby's (based in GA) decides to build their first locations in Louisiana.............. in "Cane's Country"!!! Where I live, I got one of the 2 new LA locations, which they built right down the street from our Cane's too! (Of course, this is the same place, Watson, LA  that took on 34 inches of rain August 12-14, 2016 during the Great Flood of 2016 - neither one were flooded)

My take: 

• Cane's - best sauce........ EVER! Made daily fresh in the store!  Zaxby's sauce is premade, similar to McD's dippin' sauces for their McNuggets.150px-Zaxbysauce.jpg
  • The chicken - Cane's and Zaxby's both fresh - Zaxby's "fried" skin is much harder than Cane's. (just depends on what you prefer)
  • Cole Slaw - Cane's puts it in the styrofoam box with the hot chicken and french fries and sometimes makes the slaw hot. Zaxby's doesn't have slaw at all.
  • French Fries - Cane's small crinkle fries - best when just out of the fryer (like McD's fries), Zaxby's bigger crinkle fries but seasoned!
  • Texas Toast - Cane's uses oval bread - Zaxby's uses the actual "Texas Toast" bread
  • Drinks - Cane's makes their sweet (and unsweet) tea daily and actually squeezes lemons for their lemonade daily. Zaxby's has sweet/unsweet tea but no lemonade.
  • SEC / LSU - Cane's has had Les Miles as their spokesperson for all 12 years he was here. Then Zaxby's comes to town and states they are "the official chicken for sports fanz" and has a deal w/ 30 NCAA universities including LSU.

Arenafoot, you are truly an asset to this community.

Just got back from Zaxby's.

AF's description pretty much hit it on the head (except they DO have slaw).  In fact, the menu at Zaxby's is pretty large, with salads, wings and a bunch of different sauces.  I like their Texas Toast better...although I'm not supposed to eat that due to dietary restrictions.  I had a few bites anyways.  The chicken is really good.  The fries are great...but a little too salty for me.

RC's has a very limited menu, and that's a good thing in my book.  It means they focus on what they do best.  Reminds me of In-N-Out burger, which also has a tiny menu. 

And my winner is.......RickR.  For getting to try them both.  Both excellent, I enjoyed them very much.

And for less cop-out winner:

I think RC's is higher quality.  As AF mentioned, their sauce is really good.  I like the simpler fries better too.  If I were dining alone, I would choose RC's every time.

BUT....if I was taking my family or wife...I'd choose Zaxby's.  The bigger menu gives more choices.  Easier to find something healthier too. 

Both are great.  Thank you guys for suggesting them.  I wish we had one or the other at home...I'm sure it would be a hit. 

post-41-0-72270800-1477850563_thumb.jpg

Bushes chicken is WAAAY better than raising canes. Even the tea is better. Also, in and out is better than what a burger.

You guys got Chicken Express in San Antonio yet?

Really good food, fresh (not frozen chicken), delicious yeast rolls and the BEST sweet tea!   Oh man....hawngry now!

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Arenafoot, you are truly an asset to this community.

Hear hear!  :spot:

Thank You! Ya'll are too!

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

They sure do. At least the ones near me do

Just got back from Zaxby's.

AF's description pretty much hit it on the head (except they DO have slaw). 

I've never seen or had Zaxby's slaw. (Maybe mine doesn't have that???) I guess I should have stated that Zaxby's Chicken Finger meal does not come with Cole Slaw, as Raising Cane's does. 

I've had Zaxby's and loved it! I never had the opportunity to try RC, but if I'm near one at some point I'll definitely give it a try.

We are just starting to get Chick-Fil-a in Michigan; I think restaurants are set to open early next year. There was one across from our hotel in Fairfax when my family and I were doing DC for our vacation a couple years back, and we ate there for dinner the first night, and had it for breakfast 3-4 times during our trip. So I'm a little excited :-)

No chicken express here yet. Anyway since we are talking about food places. Steak and shake has good shakes, and chilli in my humble opinion. Brings me to childhood every time I go there. I found some decent places (local chains) here in San Antonio. If you ever get a chance to come here, please check out these guys. They're affordable and for your money, worth it. Yes, there are some really good stuff out there as well, but these are more affordable. Bill Miller's BBQ, a good selection and won't break the bank. There are two Mexican chains that are also good, Las Palapas and Taco Cabana, some very good budget friendly Mexican food. I got some other great restaurants here, but for what you paying, very good stuff.

No chicken express here yet. Anyway since we are talking about food places. Steak and shake has good shakes, and chilli in my humble opinion. Brings me to childhood every time I go there. I found some decent places (local chains) here in San Antonio. If you ever get a chance to come here, please check out these guys. They're affordable and for your money, worth it. Yes, there are some really good stuff out there as well, but these are more affordable. Bill Miller's BBQ, a good selection and won't break the bank. There are two Mexican chains that are also good, Las Palapas and Taco Cabana, some very good budget friendly Mexican food. I got some other great restaurants here, but for what you paying, very good stuff.

Taco Cabana is all over Houston too.   In my wilder days, this was the goto place at 2am when the bars closed down.   (its 24 hours)

Not GREAT Tex-Mex, but a significant step up from fast food. 

Where are all my Texans posting photos of Whataburger!? 

I like Whataburger a lot, but they aren't my favorite burger in town. 

How about I post some pics of our local favorite:  Gunslinger's Grill

14192185_490411874490556_10540280130357714462804_500298390168571_719547989883029

14570238_516327265232350_118284784748197

14915164_516327251899018_708020139309843

Oh yeah, its like that.