Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Best Lynx Games

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Orange Member

• 227 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:18 PM

So for starters, no, I don't have a Lynx, but it is on my wish list. For now, I use Handy PSP on, you guessed it, my PSP. It seems to work very well, and it's allowed me to at least get a glimpse into what I was missing not being one of the proud and few Lynx owners in the 90's.

The games I've tried and enjoyed the most so far are Ninja Gaiden, Xenophobe, and my absolute favorite, Chips Challenge. I played Chips Challenge in the Microsoft Entertainment Pack in Windows 3.11 on our 386, and I was geeked to get my hands on the original portable version to play on my PSP.

Just looking for more suggestions on what games to try out next?
  • Justin, The Professor, atarilbc and 1 other like this

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,624 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:27 PM

California Games is a must.
  • Justin, The Professor, atarilbc and 2 others like this

#3 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,551 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:34 PM

If you liked Chips Challenge, you might want to try Crystal Mines.  The Lynx also has a good, original port of Rampage. I also remember enjoying Bill & Ted, but it has been years since I played it.

• Justin, The Professor, atarilbc and 2 others like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#4 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:12 PM

I'm an ex-Lynx owner (had a Mk 1 and Mk II) and use HANDY myself, whilst not perfect, it's decent enough not to think i'm really missing all that, not by owning an original Lynx anymore.

Some great suggestions so far, i'd like to add:

Dracula,APB (if you can get on witth the fiddly controls), Pac-Land, Switchblade II, Toki, Ramparts, Slime World and Roadblasters.

I'd personally be wary of Hard Drivin...sluggish controls for starters, Shadow Of The Beast..technically superb, but not that great a game on any format and not suited to handheld play, Steel Talons...just too sluggish on home formats, Double Dragon..viewpoint far too zoomed in, missing weapons etc.

• Justin, atarilbc and Starbuck66 like this

#5 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,551 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:27 PM

Oh, I almost forgot! Xybots! Good times!

• Justin and atarilbc like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#6 fergojisan

fergojisan

Orange Member

• 214 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:10 PM

Rampart and S.T.U.N. Runner

• Justin, The Professor, atarilbc and 1 other like this

#7 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:08 PM

In my book all of these games are winners  :electrocop: 

lynx_pixelated_world3.jpg

• MaximumRD, atarilbc and Lost Dragon like this

#8 atarilbc

atarilbc

Pretzel Member

• 447 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:13 PM

A lot of these have been touched on already but I'll just throw in my 2 cents.

Not to be missed:
Xybots, Chips Challenge, California Games, Joust, Roadblasters, S.T.U.N Runner, Zaku, Toki, Rampart, Rampage, Crystal Mines, Xenophobe, Super Asteroids/Missile Command, Battlewheels, Battlezone 2000 (hidden game), and Kung Food (because, despite the hit detection issues it's $2 NIB and completely weird.)

I also really like the Lynx versions of Klax, Ms. Pac-Man, Robotron 2084, Rygar and Pac-land, but there are better versions out there.
  • RickR and Lost Dragon like this

#9 fergojisan

fergojisan

Orange Member

• 214 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:34 AM

I love Klax, but playing it sideways is not very comfortable. I can't remember if there was another option though.

#10 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:03 AM

• atarilbc likes this

#11 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:06 PM

Never played on a Lynx, but Warbirds sure looks fun.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#12 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Orange Member

• 227 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 11:18 AM

Rampart and S.T.U.N. Runner

I tried S.T.U.N Runner the other day, and at first I wasn't impressed or that into it, but once I got a few levels in I really enjoyed it! I'll definitely be playing it again at some point.
  • Lost Dragon likes this

#13 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 04:58 PM

@Starbuck66:Gods, i'm terrible with things like this :-)

Off top of my head on inital 1st play on games like Uncharted (PS3), Silent Hill (PS1) and System Shock II (PC) i came away very unimpressed and just couldn't get into, at all...

Might of been tired or been too deep into another game previousily, but for whatever reason, th\at crucial 1st play left me cold, on return however something simply clicks and next thing you know? you've killer games of that generation (in case of Uncharted) or all time in case of last 2.

On Lynx Slime World and Xenophobe i initally simply did not dig, but stuck with and bingo...

Warbirds was mentioned, technically great use of Lynx hardware, but i found myself longing for more variety, some Wings-esq missions where you attacked enemy supply lines etc would of done wonders for long term play i found...

#14 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 168 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:21 AM

The Lynx is my favourite Handheld, despite the PSP, PSV, 3DS, DS, GBC, GB, GBA and all the others. These are my dearly beloved titles without precedence:

Rygar

Zaku

Shanghai

Klax

Blue Lightning

Checkered Flag

I want to like Chips Challenge, but i can't. It is surely a great title, but i can't go with it. Sorry for that.

Oh mess! There are also Xybots and Warbirds. It's really hard to appoint some favourites. :o

Edited by TeddyGermany, 18 January 2017 - 06:25 AM.

• MaximumRD, Lost Dragon and Ballblaɀer like this

#15 marigul

marigul

Cherry Member

• 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:47 PM

Lemmings is great as well!

• Justin and Lost Dragon like this

#16 TrekMD

TrekMD

Pretzel Member

• 355 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:21 PM

The Lynx is a great system.  To me there wasn't a real contender until the PSP came out.  Klax and STUN Runner are definitive must-haves.  If you can get your hands on Zaku, that's another one to get.  Ms. Pac-Man is also an excellent port with some original mazes that take advantage of the entire width of the screen.  If you have a chance, be sure the LCD replacement screen as it makes the games look bloody awesome!

• Justin and Lost Dragon like this

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users