Your Rarest 2600 Game

RickR

It used to be River Patrol (R9) 

but right now it's Glib (R9)

Once I review games, I usually sell or trade them so I can purchase more titles to review. Also space is limited, so my goal is actually to shrink my library instead of growing it. I'm hoping one day to whittle my entire collection down to 100 physical games or less. (I'm guessing it's more like 1,000 right now with about 200 being 2600 games)

Edited by nosweargamer

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Without question the Flag Capture '78 picture label -- three copies are currently known to exist.  Of course Flag Capture is an extremely common game, all things considered, so if we're talking unique NTSC games and not cart variants (or PAL releases)...

I'd suppose it would be Quadrun (R9) or Texas Chainsaw Massacre (R7).

The AA Rarity Guide hasn't been updated in many years and could use an overhaul.  Games like Quadrun, SQ: Waterworld, Berenstain Bears, Glib, etc. don't belong in the same rarity category as Lochjaw, Malagai, Cakewalk, etc.  I have a number of supposed R8s in my collection, but none seem as rare as the R7 Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  Quadrun should also probably be downgraded IMO.

Red Label DK Jr. is the rarest I own. It's sad.

On the 2600 "rarer scale" I have a few but they only hit the R4 mark.   :(  I need to do more hunting for 2600 carts ;)

Right now the rarest 2600 game i have is pitfall 2. Not too many people selling atari stuff in my area and i would never think of paying ebay prices on some rare games i do want (Halloween)

Trading with other members here at atari.io is a great way to get some rarer titles.  I know I've gotten some really nice stuff here (thanks everyone).  Prices are lower, people are nicer.  Take a look in the "Trading Post" forum.  nosweargamer's "Ye Olde Game Shoppe" has some rare stuff at this very moment at fantastic prices.  Rowsdower says he has no rarities...that's because he's a great guy that will trade us the rare stuff he finds.  And many other great people here that trade.  I love this place!

Otherwise, most rare stuff just comes to me by accident.  I find it in big bundles/lots of games mostly. 

Edited by RickR

Think the rarest stuff I have is a few 5's:

Strategy X

Roc N Rope

Frankenstein's Monster (in the mail from NSG!)

I have seen Gremlins and Ram It at one of my local game shops but they wanted 20 for Ram It and 25 for Gremlins. I've been willing to spend more money on Atari games now because I've got many of the commons making bargain purchasing more rare, so I might pick one or both of them up next time I'm up there.

R4 is pretty rare if you ask me. Anything higher starts to get spendy.

That's an understatement.  I honestly believe the price spikes for these "old" games, regardless of system, is ridiculous.  $40 for a single game (pointing to the likes of Zelda and others) is crazy.  It use to be that the used game stores couldn't sell those old games fast enough at $2 to $5 per title depending on them.  At one point I remember Game X Change not taking in any of the Super Mario Bros and Zelda games because they had too many.  It's amazing how time has changed the value of these old games.  I don't get it...the games themselves did not change.  I don't think they got an update that I'm aware of since I last played them.  It's a crazy world for sure.

It looks like mine is Tax Avoiders (R5) as I bought it new on clearance for $4.99 back in 1984 from Lionel Playworld.

Edited by Arenafoot

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

BTW, just want to add that...both Tax Avoiders and Chase the Chuck Wagon get a lot of flak. Personally, I think they're quite fun.

The reason I bought Tax Avoiders when I saw it at Kay-Bee circa 1987 was (aside from its cheap price) that it seemed like such a bizarre concept for a game that I'd be stupid not to buy it. (I was 12, 13 at the time, too.) And lemme tell ya...it did not disappoint!

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

Truthfully, can you use the rarity information on AtariAge?  It is sort of outdated material by now.  If I was to go by own "rarity" guide I would give my NIB Radar Lock the top position in my collection as rare or hard to come by.  That's for the 2600.  While not important, and it might stray away from what the thread was about but I do consider A-Train for the original PlayStation to be my rarest game simply because it took me almost two decades to find it.  That was one game I knew about, rented as much as I could because no one in the area had it for sale new or used, and I eventually forgot all about it until I started collecting video games hardcore.  

But still, I really think the rarity of any game depends on region and their popularity in areas.  The more popular a title becomes the more it is worth and the harder it is to find.  I got lucky with Radar Lock for the 2600 and I have been very blessed with the friends I have here.  No matter how rare the games are that I find you can rest assured I will be cracking new seals to play them.  Isn't that the whole point of having video games in the first place?

Truthfully, can you use the rarity information on AtariAge?  It is sort of outdated material by now.  If I was to go by own "rarity" guide I would give my NIB Radar Lock the top position in my collection as rare or hard to come by.  That's for the 2600.  While not important, and it might stray away from what the thread was about but I do consider A-Train for the original PlayStation to be my rarest game simply because it took me almost two decades to find it.  That was one game I knew about, rented as much as I could because no one in the area had it for sale new or used, and I eventually forgot all about it until I started collecting video games hardcore.  

But still, I really think the rarity of any game depends on region and their popularity in areas.  The more popular a title becomes the more it is worth and the harder it is to find.  I got lucky with Radar Lock for the 2600 and I have been very blessed with the friends I have here.  No matter how rare the games are that I find you can rest assured I will be cracking new seals to play them.  Isn't that the whole point of having video games in the first place?

That's true.  I find certain Atari games that are common to be impossible to find in Winnipeg.

Also, the Jaguar rarity guide needs updating.  All those game are rare.