Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Your Rarest 2600 Game

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 dauber

dauber

Orange Member

• 270 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

BTW, just want to add that...both Tax Avoiders and Chase the Chuck Wagon get a lot of flak. Personally, I think they're quite fun.

The reason I bought Tax Avoiders when I saw it at Kay-Bee circa 1987 was (aside from its cheap price) that it seemed like such a bizarre concept for a game that I'd be stupid not to buy it. (I was 12, 13 at the time, too.) And lemme tell ya...it did not disappoint!

• The Professor, RickR, Ballblaɀer and 1 other like this

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

#22 Gemini Gamer

Gemini Gamer

Orange Member

• 125 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:06 PM

Currently, Ghost Manor/Spike's Peak and Sprintmaster are my rarest games, and those get a 4 on AtariAge.  I'm looking at getting Frogger 2 Threeedeep and SwordQuest Waterworld in the near future.

• The Professor, RickR, kamakazi20012 and 1 other like this

Dreamcast Gamer; awesome retro game reviews, drum covers, and lots of Atari 2600!

https://www.youtube....VpbqFDcewhi_aqA

#23 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 999 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:03 AM

Truthfully, can you use the rarity information on AtariAge?  It is sort of outdated material by now.  If I was to go by own "rarity" guide I would give my NIB Radar Lock the top position in my collection as rare or hard to come by.  That's for the 2600.  While not important, and it might stray away from what the thread was about but I do consider A-Train for the original PlayStation to be my rarest game simply because it took me almost two decades to find it.  That was one game I knew about, rented as much as I could because no one in the area had it for sale new or used, and I eventually forgot all about it until I started collecting video games hardcore.  

But still, I really think the rarity of any game depends on region and their popularity in areas.  The more popular a title becomes the more it is worth and the harder it is to find.  I got lucky with Radar Lock for the 2600 and I have been very blessed with the friends I have here.  No matter how rare the games are that I find you can rest assured I will be cracking new seals to play them.  Isn't that the whole point of having video games in the first place?

• Ballblaɀer and Gemini Gamer like this

#24 Gemini Gamer

Gemini Gamer

Orange Member

• 125 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:34 AM

Truthfully, can you use the rarity information on AtariAge?  It is sort of outdated material by now.  If I was to go by own "rarity" guide I would give my NIB Radar Lock the top position in my collection as rare or hard to come by.  That's for the 2600.  While not important, and it might stray away from what the thread was about but I do consider A-Train for the original PlayStation to be my rarest game simply because it took me almost two decades to find it.  That was one game I knew about, rented as much as I could because no one in the area had it for sale new or used, and I eventually forgot all about it until I started collecting video games hardcore.  

But still, I really think the rarity of any game depends on region and their popularity in areas.  The more popular a title becomes the more it is worth and the harder it is to find.  I got lucky with Radar Lock for the 2600 and I have been very blessed with the friends I have here.  No matter how rare the games are that I find you can rest assured I will be cracking new seals to play them.  Isn't that the whole point of having video games in the first place?

That's true.  I find certain Atari games that are common to be impossible to find in Winnipeg.

Also, the Jaguar rarity guide needs updating.  All those game are rare.

• kamakazi20012 likes this

Dreamcast Gamer; awesome retro game reviews, drum covers, and lots of Atari 2600!

#25 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 999 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:16 AM

The Jaguar hardware alone is hard to obtain without having spend a lot of money on it.  And most of the good games are almost impossible to find.  When they do turn up a lot of money is usually asked for them...most of the time more than original retail prices. 

• Gemini Gamer likes this

#26 dauber

dauber

Orange Member

• 270 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:43 AM

There's a video game store not far from me...reasonable prices on the games themselves, but consoles? Forget it; highway robbery. (Although I wouldn't doubt it's because where they are, the rents are pretty outrageous.) But the guy there told me they use the AtariAge rarity guide as a way to price their Atari stuff.

But FFS....Adventure -- rarity 1 -- very, very, very common, but man...try to get a CIB copy for a reasonable price.

And Basic Math. It gives me a headache to see what people ask for CIBs of that one, too. For a rarity 1 game.

I guess it's kind of like the "butcher cover" version of The Beatles' Yesterday And Today album. It is **not rare**. There were 750,000 copies in circulation. But the reason they command such high prices is that all the dealers bought 'em up. Makes my blood boil.

Edited by dauber, 27 January 2017 - 11:45 AM.

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

#27 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,786 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:44 AM

I consider the AA rarity guide as a "guideline" only.  I think they've done a great job on it.  But in some cases, it's a bit off.  That's ok, considering what we paid for it:  $0.  In most cases, it's pretty accurate.  I think it is probably very difficult to maintain, so no complaints. 

#28 Gemini Gamer

Gemini Gamer

Orange Member

• 125 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

I found a Jag for 325 with 3 games.  I don't even have a job yet!  There's no way I could afford it.  That same store sells the Atari 2600 Jr for $75 so they just love to grab your money.  They told me that they replace capacitors and clean the systems inside, but the first 4-switch I bought from them had a bad capacitor, and when I returned it, I got one that needs the Game Select Switch fixed!

#29 Gemini Gamer

Gemini Gamer

Orange Member

• 125 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

Oh, and they charge $5 for Combat.

#30 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Apple Member

• 999 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

Combat for $5?!?  Better come CIB for that price.  

The 2600 4-switch I got needed some TLC as well but I have restored it.  Found a bad cap that I replaced with a better one so I get a better RF signal now.  I also replaced all of the chrome switches even though the originals did work and I had to replace the broken Difficulty B switch.  Nothing too major.  If you can replace the switch (if you haven't already) I kept the working switches from my console.  I can send you one no problem.  Send me a PM if interested.

#31 Gemini Gamer

Gemini Gamer

Orange Member

• 125 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:43 PM

Combat for $5?!?  Better come CIB for that price.  

The 2600 4-switch I got needed some TLC as well but I have restored it.  Found a bad cap that I replaced with a better one so I get a better RF signal now.  I also replaced all of the chrome switches even though the originals did work and I had to replace the broken Difficulty B switch.  Nothing too major.  If you can replace the switch (if you haven't already) I kept the working switches from my console.  I can send you one no problem.  Send me a PM if interested.

Thanks.  I'll try to fix mine first, but otherwise, I'll let you know.

#32 TrekMD

TrekMD

Pretzel Member

• 429 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:05 PM

Hmm, I have Chase the Chuckwagon, Pitfall II, Radar Lock, and River Raid II.  Now sure how rare those are but I know Chase certainly is. 

• RickR, kamakazi20012, Gemini Gamer and 1 other like this

Going to the final frontier, gaming...

#33 AtariHero

AtariHero

Cherry Member

• 40 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:01 AM

I'm coming in way late to this discussion but off the top of my head (and using the AA site as a measuring stick):

Quest for Quintana Roo - Sunrise (R8)

Also rarish:

Mines of Minos (R6)

Threshold (R6)

Earth Dies Screaming (R5)

Laser Gates (R5)

Artillery Duel/Chuck Norris double (R5)

All loose so no bonus points there. I do have a Frogger II in box with all the originals for the 5200 though. One of my nicest finds at the thrift store years ago :P

I'll have to look through my collection again to be sure...I have a Starpath cart but can't remember which tapes I had for it apart from Communist Mutants. I have to imagine that few of those tapes survived as more than a couple were probably erased. 

• Justin, RickR, Kid A and 3 others like this

#34 BlackCatz40

BlackCatz40

Orange Member

• 143 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:51 PM

Probably the two rarest games I own are the "Miner 2049er" games, both volumes. I bought Vol. II a few years back and it is still in mint condition. I also have the box and instructions for the first "Miner 2049er." They were and are really decent titles. I also own a wrapped "Atari Video Cube," but the same game with the title, "Rubik's Cube." which I do not have is rarer. I used to own "Stronghold,"  from Comma Vid. Unfortunately, it was stolen by some really asinine people that my brother once hung around with. That was worth an auction value of $250.00 at the time. Bummer… :(

Now, I have over 240+ A2600 games alone, and that is just for the A2600.

Thanks for letting me share. ^_^

• Justin likes this

#35 BlackCatz40

BlackCatz40

Orange Member

• 143 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:55 PM

I'm coming in way late to this discussion but off the top of my head (and using the AA site as a measuring stick):

Quest for Quintana Roo - Sunrise (R8)

Also rarish:

Mines of Minos (R6)

Threshold (R6)

Earth Dies Screaming (R5)

Laser Gates (R5)

Artillery Duel/Chuck Norris double (R5)

All loose so no bonus points there. I do have a Frogger II in box with all the originals for the 5200 though. One of my nicest finds at the thrift store years ago :P

I'll have to look through my collection again to be sure...I have a Starpath cart but can't remember which tapes I had for it apart from Communist Mutants. I have to imagine that few of those tapes survived as more than a couple were probably erased. 

I also have a Supercharger cart with the cassette "Phaser Patrol."  I also have "Stella Gets a New Brain," the CD-ROM with all the Starpath/Arcadia games. It can play on any CD player that plays audio compact discs and has a headphone jack. It's pretty cool. :)

• Justin likes this

#36 TeddyGermany

TeddyGermany

Orange Member

• 171 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:14 AM

I also own Mines of Minos and Miner 2049er for the VCS.

@ jaguar prices

In Germany the prices are indecent, too. For an new AvP you should have to pay € 350. A new Console (NTSC) costs € 400 and a PAL-console € 350. Only two years ago the prices were not more than € 200. But used modules are also expensive. Brutal sports deluxe without box for € 20. That is ruthless in many ways.

Edited by TeddyGermany, 06 June 2017 - 05:14 AM.

• atarilbc and BlackCatz40 like this

#37 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Orange Member

• 255 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:31 AM

Think the rarest stuff I have is a few 5's:

Strategy X
Roc N Rope
Frankenstein's Monster (in the mail from NSG!)

I have seen Gremlins and Ram It at one of my local game shops but they wanted 20 for Ram It and 25 for Gremlins. I've been willing to spend more money on Atari games now because I've got many of the commons making bargain purchasing more rare, so I might pick one or both of them up next time I'm up there.

Update: Got 20 bucks in frequent buyer cash from the local gameshop a few months back, and used it to (mostly) snag Gremlins. Of course, to get that cash you have to spend 200 dollars...  :o

But hey, that was 10 dollars here, 20 dollars there over the course of a year or two so I'm not sweating it  :D A lot of it was snagging 2600 games at a buck a piece so they really helped round out my collection and got me over the 200 game mark.

• nosweargamer and Ballblaɀer like this

#38 BlackCatz40

BlackCatz40

Orange Member

• 143 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:38 PM

I also own Mines of Minos and Miner 2049er for the VCS.

@ jaguar prices

In Germany the prices are indecent, too. For an new AvP you should have to pay € 350. A new Console (NTSC) costs € 400 and a PAL-console € 350. Only two years ago the prices were not more than € 200. But used modules are also expensive. Brutal sports deluxe without box for € 20. That is ruthless in many ways.

That does not surprise me about those prices, which are more expensive in America since the US dollar is worth less than the euro right now and has been for about fourteen years (I check the spot prices of the two currencies regularly). But, I hear you. They are getting expensive because in retail and auction sites they are getting almost impossible to find. I have been a thirty-four year long collector of Atari games, and I can see that the scarcity is there for most of them. In America, a stock Falcon030, as an example, can fetch USD$2,500.00. Notice I said just stock. People want these things. Typical rule of supply and demand, I guess. :)

• TeddyGermany likes this

#39 Dan Iacovelli

Dan Iacovelli

Pretzel Member

• 413 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:53 PM

my rarest is a xonox double ender: chuck norris superkicks/ghost manor rated r7 on atari age

• RickR likes this

AVC Online: avc.atari-users.net

VGS website: http://videogamesummit.net

#40 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Apple Member

• 981 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:48 PM

My rarest is probably my Dragster cart that has a foam protector insert stuck inside it. It's most definitely not valuable or highly sought after by any means, but I would say it's probably hard to find.

Possibly also my copy of Pitfall 2, which is apparently a lot more scarce in the wild than Pitfall.

EDIT: Oh, I finally reached 900 posts. Huzzah.

Edited by LeeJ07, 05 July 2017 - 09:02 PM.

• RickR and TrekMD like this
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users