Your Rarest 2600 Game

RickR

Welcome, @Crash_Corrigan! Front line workers, what a crazy job to have right now. Must be stressful. I hope that you stay safe to not spread it further to anyone! I also hope your symptoms are mild. That virus is an unpredictable creature indeed...

You seem to be quite the collector there, too. I love the generation 2 systems. They’re so interesting. A lot of people my age tend to find the games “too simple”. Hah! Stupid, ignorant children...

But anyways, yeah, I love how unique each system was in the second gen. The O2, Channel F, Studio II; so many unique consoles.

Stick around, old pal. I think you’ll like it here.

Hello @Crash_Corrigan! That’s quite the list. I will have to look up what’s rare in my collection. I never bought any 2600 game with rarity in mind. This is how I collected my 200+ in box games:

• Pac-Man because of nostalgia 
  • Activision games because their games wowed me as a kid (I’m missing HERO and Cosmic Commuter)
  • Atari releases for the amazing box art
  • Data Age games because I thought the boxes looked cool
  • Imagic games because the boxes looked cool

And oh man, this thread is old.  Since 2016, I've gotten a few more 2600 rarities.  Bumper Bash is one.  Sounds like you've got some great games!

I'm glad you bumped this thread up again.  Sometimes, it feels like we never find anything we don't already have for the 2600.  But it is possible, and that's what makes the hunt so much fun. 

Edited by RickR

10 hours ago, Crash_Corrigan said:

New member here, first post! just tested positive for the Covid 19 today (front line healthcare worker so it was bound to happen!) and am just starting my ten day quarantine. . . which hopefully means lots of retro gaming for me! I collect for the VCS, 7800, Odyssey II and Intellivision. . . but I'm mainly a VCS guy. Been on the hunt since starting college so a good twenty years or so. I'm currently at 395 different games in my 2600 collection. My rarest so far (not including repros like Red Sea Crossing, Gamma Attack, Answer Soft's Gauntlet, etc.) would be: Frankenstein's Monster, Time Warp, Demolition Herby (color label), Motocross Racer, Space Master X-7, H.E.R.O., Montezuma's Revenge, Mr. Chin (Dishaster), Rubik's Cube, Stargunner, UFO (Condor Attack), Mr. Do's Castle, Gremlins, Star Wars Arcade, Death Trap, Up N' Down, Tomarc The Barbarian, Cosmic Corridor, River Raid II, Polaris (green label), Robin Hood/Sir Lancelot. . . some of those weren't so rare when I first got them; Frankenstein's Monster was all of two bucks when I got it from a used game store in Traverse City some ten years ago (along with many other gems)! all time favorite is plain old Adventure and I've collected many of it's hacks and similar games like Epic Adventure and Misadventures Revisited. So hard to find something in the wild that I don't already have but I still always look! I consider an on cart repro of LOTR: Journey To Rivendell to be a holy grail as I've yet to find someone who can make one. . . of course Quadrun, Chase The Chuckwagon, Glacier Patrol and all the other usual suspects are up there as well! anyways just thought I'd share and happy hunting!

Welcome Crash! I hope you get well soon! VCS, 7800, 02, Intellivision...I like your tastes! You're story also reminds me of mine. I got into retro collecting during college, buying a 2600 off of ebay and an NES from Funcoland. If you're talking from MI, I grew up near Detroit, but had family near Traverse City.

I decided to recheck AA for my current rarest 2600 games. According to them, I have two rarity 9 games (both loose): Q*berts Qubes & Swordquest Waterworld. 

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

2 hours ago, nosweargamer said:

I decided to recheck AA for my current rarest 2600 games. According to them, I have two rarity 9 games (both loose): Q*berts Qubes & Swordquest Waterworld. 

Is Qubes really that rare?

According to the AA rarity guide, my rarest VCS game is Private Eye. However, I don't agree with that. I've seen a lot more Private Eyes in the wild than Tunnel Runners or Planet Patrols. Not that those are particularly rare, either. 

Perhaps my frequency at which I see Private Eye is just luck? It's not common, but I'd give it a four at most. That rarity guide could use a good update.

10 hours ago, HDN said:

Is Qubes really that rare?

According to the AA rarity guide, my rarest VCS game is Private Eye. However, I don't agree with that. I've seen a lot more Private Eyes in the wild than Tunnel Runners or Planet Patrols. Not that those are particularly rare, either. 

Perhaps my frequency at which I see Private Eye is just luck? It's not common, but I'd give it a four at most. That rarity guide could use a good update.

I also saw a few entries that I didn't agree with my shopping experience (primarily ebay). I suppose multiple factors can affect what we see in the marketplace that we frequent at any given slice of time, so the rarity guideline is just that, a guideline.

On 11/16/2016 at 8:19 PM, Atari Creep said:

I have had a bunch of uncommon carts but the rarest I owned before having to sell my collection was Chase the Chuckwagon. It was a gift given to me by a friend that no longer played but had it from his childhood.  

Man, I have been virtually with you through all the hard times. I'm so happy that you are in the place you are now!