NSG'S Holiday Retro Gamer Gift Guide 2016

nosweargamer

Great choices Phil! I guess Phoenix by Leonard Herman did not technically come out in 2016, but the 4th edition did. I found out about his book back when I thought I was the only weirdo who was collecting old video games. He pointed me to Digital Press and the 2600 Connection (both were just fanzines at the time) and invited me to my first NAVA meetup, where I met lots of other weirdos! Len is good people.

http://www.rolentapress.com/

Great choices Phil! I guess Phoenix by Leonard Herman did not technically come out in 2016, but the 4th edition did. I found out about his book back when I thought I was the only weirdo who was collecting old video games. He pointed me to Digital Press and the 2600 Connection (both were just fanzines at the time) and invited me to my first NAVA meetup, where I met lots of other weirdos! Len is good people.

http://www.rolentapress.com/

That book does look nice

I only think the NES classic falls short of expectations for me, only 18 games the Atari flashback portable gives me way more options. And I can take it with me.

Actually, it will have 30, but I can see why you'd prefer the fb.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I'm not sure...but you can bet it will be sometime this month. 

If it's anything like the Sega portable that had more Master System games than anything, that screen was really small and hard to see because of it.  For that reason I would go with the NES Classic.  I like the idea of having Atari games on the go but the screen needs to be of a decent size and I know there are larger screens out there that don't cost an arm and a leg.

I think it's worth remembering that the Genesis (320x224) and Master System (256x192) involve more screen detail/resolution than the VCS (which doesn't have an output resolution in the traditional sense -- for practical purposes one can say it's 160x192)... so a small screen would be somewhat less of a concern for the Atari portable.  I haven't seen the Sega portable so I can't comment on it, I just wouldn't write off the Atari portable solely due to its screen's size.

That said, I still have almost zero interest in it, personally.  YMMV.  :D

NSG: your video's intro image has convinced me to turn a few of my extra carts into Christmas tree ornaments!  RickR: you could probably decorate an entire (small) tree with your Combat carts...  :rofl:

If it's anything like the Sega portable that had more Master System games than anything, that screen was really small and hard to see because of it.  For that reason I would go with the NES Classic.  I like the idea of having Atari games on the go but the screen needs to be of a decent size and I know there are larger screens out there that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Is there a release date on the flasback portable?

Was Nov 8, now the 27th.

I have the Sega Portable by AtGames. The screen is small, but very clear. I think it would work fine for 2600 games.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Was Nov 8, now the 27th.

I have the Sega Portable by AtGames. The screen is small, but very clear. I think it would work fine for 2600 games.

I have to admit...it was clean and clear.  I guess I'd have to see it in action in person.  To play 2600 games on the go would be nice.  It would be even nicer if the hardware would allow the use of SD cards so more games could be played ;)  I know...but I can dream, right?

I have to admit...it was clean and clear.  I guess I'd have to see it in action in person.  To play 2600 games on the go would be nice.  It would be even nicer if the hardware would allow the use of SD cards so more games could be played ;)  I know...but I can dream, right?

The portable does have an SD card, at least the last time I heard. Not sure how many ROMs (of games that you already own!  :D ) will work with it but I'm guessing most.

One item that is missing from your list is the Pac Man LED Desk Clock:

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-MAN-Premium-LED-Desk-Clock/dp/B0161ZWIIO

I got this one for my birthday, and I must say, it's become beloved already.  The plan was to put it in the garage, but I set it up in our family room, and it's staying there for now.  Even my wife likes it.  They even got the font on the numbers right -- it looks like the arcade game.