Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

CGA Graphics - Not as bad as you thought!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,031 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:16 PM

CGA Graphics - Not as bad as you thought!

• Justin, MaximumRD, RickR and 4 others like this

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,707 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:54 PM

I don't remember a single person that used CGA in composite mode.  All I know is CGA graphics were a huge step down for anyone with an Atari 8-bit or Commodore 64. 

My very first PC had an EGA card, which was much better than CGA.  I don't think the PC became a viable gaming platform until VGA and the earliest Voodoo cards came out. 

• Justin, The Professor and Lost Dragon like this

#3 RadioPoultry

RadioPoultry

Orange Member

• 156 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:25 AM

One very talented individual modified the CGA versions of Commander Keen 4 and 5 to use composite video, and it looks great!

• Justin likes this

#4 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Orange Member

• 231 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:27 PM

I'm pretty sure our first family computer, a Tandy 1000sx had a CGA card on it... I remember using a composite out to a 13" black and white to play games we couldn't play on our monochrome monitor. It definitely got the job done! I was really glad when we upgraded to an IBM PS/2 386 machine with VGA though... :-)

Edit: So after I actually watched the video (silly me) maybe some of the games I ran weren't Tandy graphics compatible? Sounds like the Tandy may have had graphics closer to EGA of the game supported it? Hoping he does his follow up video on Tandy graphics. I do remember pushing that thing to its limits; I had to arrange files carefully between a low density 3.5 floppy and a low density 5.25 floppy to get Streetrod II working on it.

Edited by Starbuck66, 08 December 2016 - 10:12 PM.

#5 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 557 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:45 PM

He clearly hasn't seen the capabilities of the Atari 8Bits GTIA mode! :D Great video though, thanks for sharing!

• RickR likes this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#6 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,707 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:21 AM

He clearly hasn't seen the capabilities of the Atari 8Bits GTIA mode! :D Great video though, thanks for sharing!

Totally agree.  Atari 8-bit graphics blew away the PC until VGA came around.  I remember a time of using a PC to do school work and such, but keeping my 8-bit around to play games. 

• Clint Thompson likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users