A collection of Book reviews

Greyfox

Hi Guys,

I was meant to post this a while back, but when I'm not out saving the world and preaching religion of all things Atari, I get the opportunity to write book reviews that have been sent to me via the Retro Video Gamer Portal and forum to which I never knew I had a talent for and probably still don't lol :) but I wanted if it was okay to post direct links to them here for those that may have never seen or heard about these books. So with that, I hope you enjoy reading the reviews and if you are all interested in considering in getting them for you Retro book collections. :)

first up.

ocean1.png

vhs1.jpg
Push_Start_Book_review_Header.jpg
ArtVideoGames1.jpg
IMG_3958-Edit.jpg
8-bit_review_Top_Banner.jpg
U.S.Gold_Book_review_Top_Banner.jpg
30c3w9x.jpg

More coming soon, I hope you all enjoy these..there are also many other book reviews written by staff over at RVG you can all check out as well, these ones are the ones I wrote.

cheers

Darren

Edited by Greyfox

Unofficial Atari: a Visual History

WWW.GREYFOXBOOK.COM

Many thanks for your kind word Lost Dragon and delighted you liked the reviews, I did my best to be subjective to the content on both as a reader of the information and a technical merit to how I feel this would be best executed by a publisher, I believe the best content on any media is when the Author is very well in tune with the content, any graphic designer can design a book, but if he doesn't know the subject matter well, it will show to avid readership , take the Art of Atri for instance, the author was so well in tune with the content it would of being difficult to match or even better that layouts and the content, proving that the love for this the author so clearly had has made that a very special book etc.

Yes I can say that the VHS boxart book is something truly unique and incredible to anyone who loved the classic VHS cover art we all depended on to sell us the movie good or bad, if it had amazing VHS box art you were hooked. and I highly recommend this, but a bit of advice don't lend this to anyone as you might find it difficult to get back of them lol..more on the way, I'm reading the "Super Famicom Box art Book" from bitmap books and the "Art of Oliver Frey Extended edition" from Retro Fusion books at the moment and they are seriously impressive books. Reviews coming soon.

have a good one

WWW.GREYFOXBOOK.COM

Hi everyone, hope you are all well, started a new job recently, and it's most annoyingly taken a lot of my free time away I once had to be posting up here. But anyways just wanted to update this thread with a newly written book review on the wonderful Super Famicom : The Box Art Collection and is another awesome gallery book with some incredible snes box art most of us have never even seen, so please check it out, who knows? You might be opened to something new and fantastic. ☺

WWW.GREYFOXBOOK.COM

I've seen this for sometime, but I would think that this repeated content when and where it shows up from previous publications is I feel a coming full circle approach whereby new readers and people new to the subject it's all brand new to them, leaving the likes of us rolling our eyes are more or less something we either read or knew years ago.

I personally feel that the people and in fact software companies back in the golden age are running out now or people from your experience can't remember accurately what happened on this game or that game etc. so yes your spot on, that it's nig-near impossible to bring something special to table for the diehard fans or historians like yourself. There is many great Atari designers especially on the Atari 8-bit I'd loved to see covered in a publication more so than the 16bit days, as a huge majority where done by software houses like Ocean Software etc.which have being covered to death. I love the one to one affair like your Pete Lyon interview, that type of thing.

WWW.GREYFOXBOOK.COM

It deeply saddens me to read that, knowing what your saying is completely true. For something that started out as being part of entertainment and still is in my opinion rather than riding off the backs of other people's work as a cash in is the harsh reality of it and with that type of information Leeching will soon come to a great end if there simply isn't folk out there who were apart of this history time line who have passed away or have no memory of events will truly shine a spot light on these indivuals when it comes to fact finding rather than fantastic imagination of factual invention lol.

But it was always going to happen that 4th next generation was going to be the next retro to which I've lived through also and have a great many memories as well as some great stories of my own regarding the Sony ps1 days from the piracy aspect of things to winning competitions at Electronic Boutique and Virgin Megastore on the ps1, but I doubt that would fit lol, but I asume that this is coming as things of pre 1990's is laid to rest. I hilarious thing is that someone who has little or no real experience with these 4th generation machines are going to be so called out in a flash if not researched or people tracked down correctly on their Facebook or Twitter or LinkedIn account lol.

WWW.GREYFOXBOOK.COM

Nice summary of this month's, I've only flipped through, so I haven't really had a proper look yet, but yes the Gauntlet 2 feature was what interested me to pick it up and now you've highlighted it, I'll be reading this tonight, a few other things in there, no real interest Lynx stuff, but we'll have a look, top ten's, always keen to see them and will give it the benefit of the doubt, it seems to getting harder and harder to get the scoops, seen this for a while now, but as I've mentioned previously here in this post. Times are fleeting as are the memories of the folk in the know..so I think heavy research to the max of both discography of a software house IP and interviewee of what, when,where before it's too late.

WWW.GREYFOXBOOK.COM