Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

European C64 titles/renamed/changed for the US Market.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:10 PM

Inspired by an email conversation started earlier today by RickR, regarding Human Entertainment Software (HES), selling the Jeff Minter game we know here in UK as Matrix, Aka Grid Runner II, you guys in the USA saw it as Grid Runner II:Attack Of The Mutant Camels it seems, as HES were far keener on that title, than Matrix...

So when HES released the 'true' Attack Of The Mutant Camels game in USA (the game seemingly inspired by 2600 Empire Strikes Back...) it was known as Advance Of The Mutant Camels, confused much? :)

But i also believe you guys had EPYX release Thalamus C64 title, Quedex over there, with the Marble replaced with an 8-Ball? and then 16 bit versions altered still to become Mindroll, which we saw over here.

Nebulus i know arrived on 7800 as Tower Toppler and different name again for NES release....

Any other European games altered in any form for US release i should look into?. 

• RickR and Rowsdower70 like this

#2 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:15 PM

Found another:

http://www.google.co...L_Ow-YRbUIdFlsA

You guys knew this as Rad Warrior?

Ok i get it, Radiation, but noooo, original title far better.

Not C64 related but wasn't what we knew as The Last Ninja II on C64 released as The Last Ninja on NES over in USA? you never saw a version of 1st game on NES?.

#3 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,716 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:22 AM

This all started with Ballblazer's "Games for Trade" post.  One of the C64 games he has for trade is C64 Gridrunner.  I looked up a video on-line, and it looks EXACTLY like the "Attack of the Mutant Camels" cart I got at PRGE.  Are they the same game?  It turns out no, but they are very similar. 

Ballblazer did more research and found more info here:  http://minotaurproje...grr_hist_gr.php

Fascinating that the lowly VIC-20 is the preferred version of Gridrunner. 

Seems to me "The Matrix" is a perfect name for this game.  What were they thinking? 

• Lost Dragon likes this

#4 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,716 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:25 AM

Rad Warrior had such great graphics! 

• Lost Dragon likes this

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:57 AM

:-)

You can thank freelance Comic artist, Dan Malone for those graphics.

Palace wanted to capture the feel of 2000AD comic strips at the time and Dan really delivered in my view.

ZX Spectrum version looked superb as well.

http://www.google.co...N5HRqAN0Pes-bHg

Edited by Lost Dragon, 20 November 2016 - 07:59 AM.

• RickR likes this

#6 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:20 PM

Totally forgot what was done with a classic C64 title, Myth when altered for USA NES console market.

Very odd goings on indeed...

Plus, Nintendo it seems didn't think Last Ninja 2 was right for European NES owners...

Say what? It was a UK product,out on C64, Spectrum, CPC, ST,AMIGA, PC,BBC and Electron..

Was being converted to Konix Multisystem...

Shesh Nintendo..
  • RickR likes this

#7 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:37 PM

Few more :) Halls Of Kairos from the Arcade became:Desolator on the home micro conversions, inc C64.... Not C64 but Amstrad CPC, i've seen Gremlin's Technocop reviewed under title of Highway Patrol...
  • RickR likes this

#8 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:26 AM

Oh my God what did Mindscape do to Uridium?

C64 original.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 06 December 2016 - 08:28 AM.

#9 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:19 PM

Retrogamer (Kieth Ainsworth) Fanzine Issue 28 mentions Attack Of Mutant Camels being:Renamed Advance Of The....and Matrix renamed...

Talks of Cassete versions coming in 2 forms, same artwork, scenario, but title on cover and tape are different between  the 2...

Author said his tape had AMC on 1 side, which was code for Attack Of Mutant Camels but on side B file name Camels, was code for Advance Of The....

Also much earlier in Issue 7 in:"Animal Harm-The Jeff Minter Story", mention is made of Jeff Minters 'Crude version of Defender' (Andes Attack) being altered by HES for release in the USA, you guys had all the 'cute little Llama's removed' at the insistance of HES.

#10 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:25 PM

Elite's C64 conversion of Commando saw packaging changed..soldiers being replaced by robots, name changed to 'Super Invasion' for the German Market.

Edited by Lost Dragon, 26 December 2016 - 12:26 PM.

#11 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:42 AM

Small feature on Rad Warrior developer.

Attached Thumbnails

• ACU8607116.jpg
  • ACU8607117.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users