Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Starglider: The dropped features...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:33 PM

I'm sure for so many of us, Starglider was simply THE ST Killer-App that blew us away:

http://www.google.co...y26grly3L1649OA

Simply stunning and an early flagship ST game, converted to many different formats (sadly C64 version went top down 2D and was rubbish..but Amstrad CPC version actually improved on it in some areas, by having more variety of foes...)

But it seems a number of planned features were dropped from the final version, including:

The ability to drop pods...

A 3rd person viewpoint/camera view...

Fog...

Dust Storms.

wonder why the fog/dust storms never made it into the stunning sequel?

• Greyfox likes this

#2 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 213 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:44 PM

Hmm..I think that would have worked brilliantly in the star glider sequel and possibly would have helped with optimized 3d routines running at high frame rates on the Amiga and even faster on the ST ☺

Drop pods , I wonder how that would have worked?
  • Lost Dragon likes this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#3 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:04 PM

Most dropped features in games are due to technical constraints (ST Starglider II lacked Sampled Whale Song, as it slowed 3D routines down far too much) or simply added nothing to gameplay..

I'd wager drop pods would of been like ammo etc for missiles maybe?

Would of been great to see adverse weather/atmospheric conditions cropping up, but maybe asking too much of the hardware at that time?.

Just thought i'd mention these as despite reading Making Of's in Edge, then RG mags, they were never mentioned...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users