Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Rescue On Fractalus: The Amiga Remake that never was..

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:56 PM

After remaking Ballblazer for the ST and Amiga, rumour had it Rainbow Arts were going to remake Rescue On Fractalus for the Amiga at least, with it due in October or November 1991.

Sadly it never arrived but the intro to Masterblazer hints at what could of been, with a factual fly through a mountain range:

• The Professor, MaximumRD, Greyfox and 1 other like this

#2 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,050 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:05 PM

Shame, great title that could have been a nice addition to the AMIGA library for sure.  :o

I am always fascinated by the games that "could have been" on any platform, while often they are titles cancelled even before development is started sometimes enough work is produced for actual demos or limited releases. Of course many games even reached a playable or finished state but are cancelled and never reach retail for a variety of reasons, whenever a ROM of some form of release is leaked or even officially published long after the intended date I always like to get a copy and play them but I try as much as possible to consider what it would have been like had they released back when the intended platform was still current. So many amazing titles (and admittedly a lot of CRAP that we were spared from playing  :rofl: ) but still always interesting to think what might have been for sure.  :beer:

• The Professor, Greyfox and Lost Dragon like this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#3 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,248 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:48 PM

OH MAN...if there was ever an 8-bit game that deserved to be made on more powerful hardware, it was ROF.  Not just the fractal mountains...but the whole surprise/twist part would have been AWESOME on the Amiga. 

• MaximumRD and Lost Dragon like this

#4 Scott Stilphen

Scott Stilphen

Orange Member

• 184 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:52 PM

Some side notes:

Lucasfilm Games became LucasArts in 1990 after a reorganization.

David Levine and Peter Langston were both from the original Lucasfilm Games team.  Levine was the programmer for Atari 8-bit Ballblazer and Langston did the audio for Atari 8-bit Ballblazer and Rescue on Fractalus.

Attached Thumbnails

• masterblazer.jpg
  • masterblazer1.jpg

• RickR and Lost Dragon like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users