Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

"The Lounge"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dauber

dauber

Orange Member

• 248 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:32 PM

My wife and I live in a three-bedroom apartment. We have our master bedroom, a guest bedroom, and the third bedroom is kind of a combination office/recording studio/place to store extra crap/etc. We call it "The Lounge." That's where I keep my Atari stuff. I was running out of space when I started upgrading my loosies to CIB, and my wife suggested putting some shelving up on the walls. That works for now. :)  Overflow (that is, my 7800 stuff) is in a CD tower.

IMG_3489.JPG

IMG_3490.jpg

• Justin, The Professor, DeLorean and 9 others like this

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

#2 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:36 PM

That's a great collection dauber!  :100:

• The Professor, DeLorean, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

#3 DeLorean

DeLorean

• 385 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:31 PM

I LOVE IT!! Boxed KLAX and all those Pac Man Plus games make that collection the tops :)
  • Justin, The Professor, Lost Dragon and 1 other like this

#4 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,252 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:30 AM

Bonus for the wife helping the collection!!
  • Justin, The Professor and Lost Dragon like this

#5 dauber

dauber

Orange Member

• 248 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:34 AM

She did protest that the older Atari games aren't arranged like a rainbow. Thing is, my scheme is mainly alphabetical by category and publisher: Atari first...gatefolds in part number order, then Atari "color" games in alphabetical, then Atari silver label, etc. My shelves were overflowing so literally seconds before I snapped the picture I stacked the middle row instead of standing the games up just to see if it'd work. I kinda like it. :)

#6 dauber

dauber

Orange Member

• 248 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:29 AM

I LOVE IT!! Boxed KLAX and all those Pac Man Plus games make that collection the tops :)

Just FTR...my Klax is 100% fake. The cart is a repro of the prototype (if I recall correctly, got it from AtariAge when they were selling them) and the box was done by Marc Oberhäuser. :)

#7 dauber

dauber

Orange Member

• 248 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:27 PM

Just added to the lounge. B)

IMG_3554.JPG

Edited by dauber, 24 December 2016 - 02:03 PM.

• Justin, The Professor, RickR and 3 others like this

#8 Atari Adventure Square

Atari Adventure Square

Orange Member

• 267 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:14 PM

Good stuff, dauber

Love seeing those colorful old-gen boxes stacked together.

Brings back that first sense of discovery of what the upcoming gaming console arrivals would have to offer.

It was kinda like having a UFO drop in the middle of town and its occupants pop out and tell us "Of course you can fly anywhere, use this".

Having the primal colors splayed out in the initial TV and EG ads - then later in our living rooms - felt natural.

As if by learning a new way to have fun interacting with our TVS we were dropping our pens and learning to write again using a rainbow of Crayolas, with the same toddler glee.

That's why the initial 2600 simple color scheme and artwork design felt so right (so right INTV cribbed it in its attempted Toyland occupation).

Aaaand that's what I would be telling you after you told me I'd been standing there in your lounge for a good thirty minutes, gazing dreamily at the shelved goodness.

Although I sense we'd both agree and keep gazing in sync.

• The Professor and RickR like this

#9 Keatah

Keatah

Cherry Member

• 32 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:32 PM

The first row alone makes one almost believe displaying the games is cooler than playing them.

• The Professor likes this

#10 dauber

dauber

Orange Member

• 248 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 02:55 AM

Believe me, I play the games. That's what they're meant for. I play the games I collect, I listen to the records I collect...thing is, I've been very particular ever since in the '80s I saw that my cousins' Intellivision collection was CIB and very neatly arranged in a small bookcase. Sure easier than flipping through a bunch of shoeboxes. :D

• The Professor likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users