I know some here enjoy reading things like this so I hope you enjoy something that happened to me this evening.
Well. Had a nice surprise today. Around 5:30pm CST I get a knock at my door. There is a friend of ours on the other side when I opened the door holding a Nintendo 64. He said he found it in a dumpster at his apartment complex and thought I would like to have it. Naturally I can't turn down another console even if I already have the same model. I bring it in with him in tow and plug it up. No power. I get the power supply to my wife's Grape N64 and...no power.
So I begin the task of cleaning it up and hoping that might solve something. But, I don't have the "special" tool required to open these things up. Curse you Nintendo for using those stupid security screws!! After two hours of trying a few tricks I finally managed to get all the screws out and the top shell off. Inside I find...BUGS!!! Most of them are dead but a few are still kicking around. I rush immediately to the shower and begin spraying everything down with Totally Awesome spray cleaner.
Only after that do I begin to really remove all the other screws to remove the main board and all other parts. After seeing all those bugs everything will have to be sprayed off in my book. Those are my rules. Yes...the main board too.
Bath time! I'm not going to show one of the pics with the bugs in it. Those things are just nasty and I can't stand roaches. I don't mind any other bug usually but those things ... why did God create such a creature? If there ever is an Armageddon those things would survive it!
Whoops...guess I got sidetracked. Most will probably say that water and electronics don't mix. As long as it doesn't have any power going through it, is not in operation when it gets wet, and if it is allowed time to dry completely then any electronic circuit board can get wet. Which I drenched everything and used the shower to spray off anything that was not suppose to be there and to help remove the chemical I used.
I think the guys who designed this must have liked jigsaws puzzles. I dried everything off, using a hair dryer to help dry off the main board and other electronics like the cart slot and other areas, then re-assembled everything. At first there was no power again. Using my wife's N64 as a guide I reworked the metal plates which I got the few for the memory expansion slot mixed up. Once corrected I tried the system again.
And the results are actually impressive...
It works! Another console saved from a landfill. This is my trade and I love fixing these things. I just wish I could make a living at it haha. It does score me some consoles once in a great while so that's a plus for me.
I hope you enjoyed this rescue. Now I just need to get a controller and something besides Dr. Mario 64...that's the only 64 game we have and that one is my wife's game. Oh...and I forgot...which is why I'm editing this...those screws got replaced with regular Philips-head screws and the N64 ones got pitched. I despise those things.
Edited by kamakazi20012, 28 December 2016 - 01:53 AM.