New Years Day Food: Deep South Version

Rowsdower70

We make a dish called "Hoppin' John", which has ham, bacon, and black eyed peas covered. Need to add some greens it sounds like.

I've heard about Hoppin' John, sounds like something I'd love.   Nothing special for Italians on New Years?

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

;-) At times like this, I think I live in the worst part of Europe..no special dishes or anything :'(

Pics put up in this thread have me drooling here.

Anytime you're in Texas, swing by!  I'll show you the culinary ropes! ;)

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

I'm originally from the south so I know all about the break from chicken when you can get it.  I do miss the Waffle Houses I use to visit now and then.   

As a tradition, my wife and I have always grabbed a couple of the sub sandwiches from Wal-Mart along with some Lil' Smokies and some chips.  I never would have done this but a friend of mine in Arkansas made miniature skewers using toothpicks loaded with smokies that had been slow cooked in bar-b-que sauce, coupled with chunks of pineapple from a can.  Surprisingly...it's really good!  I spent time with them before I moved.

This year we got the usual stuff but we upped the ante.  We are going to make our own nachos with store-bought ingredients and I am adding seasoned ground beef to top them off.  

That ham looks really good!  So does the greens.  

I don't have any New Years food traditions, but I want to eat all of that. Whenever we go down south we like to go to the independent restaurants and cafeterias that make food like this, the food is sooooooooooo good. 

If you ever travel to Branson, Missouri and pass through, or can find the time to travel south a bit farther, check out some of the restaurants in Harrison, Arkansas.  You will need this...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g60749-Harrison_Arkansas.html

T's BBQ is really good and I don't know if it is still there or not but there use to be a place called Big Daddy's across from the Edward's grocery store.  Really BIG hamburgers!  I had to cut mine in half just to try to bite it.

I get bottles of Eastern Carolina bbq sauce mailed to me a couple times a year also. The Pik N Pig in Carthage NC is my favorite place ever. I eat there everyday whenever I visit. Check them out on FB if you happen to be planning a trip to NC for some reason!

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

Born and raised in the south and this is what we ate every year, add cornbread.  The juice from the black eyed peas mixed with the cornbread is perfect! The food is what I miss most from NC.

Oh yeah, you gotta have the corn bread!   

Looking at what we do..

full English Breakfast..

Cornish Pasty

And Cream Tea where Devon and Cornwall argue over whether you put jam or cream on 1st...

Dull old England :'(

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_dishes

I mean really?.

There's several I see on the list. Beef Wellington is really awesome, I'm a fan of many meat pies, my father even LOVES mince pies.   Also, Fish and Chips is something I can't pass up if they're nice and crispy!